U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 08:23 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,503,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GritsCode View Post
They are jeans shorts though. Take the brand jacket/hat away and they wouldn't look any different from anyone else at these camps.
They should have taken the hats and jackets away! That would have been just fine. But it wouldn't have achieved the goal of Hooters, which was to expose their brand (a sexualized bar) to young boys in hopes of future patronage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 08:29 AM

299 posts, read 132,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
They should have taken the hats and jackets away! That would have been just fine. But it wouldn't have achieved the goal of Hooters, which was to expose their brand (a sexualized bar) to young boys in hopes of future patronage.
Every sponsor exposes their brand. Hooters isn't all that much sexualized as you are making it. The goal of every business is to get their brand out there. You can see more skin and sexual things at the mall

Old 07-07-2016, 09:17 AM

7,180 posts, read 8,774,551 times
HFB the girls could have been in sack cloth and you still wouldn't be happy, you don't like the company and that's not going to change. These kids are going to be exposed to a lot of things as they grow up and a one day camp with these participants is only one of a thousand experiences they will have in the next few years, it's called life.

As another poster said this should have remained a local issue with the organization where its located but now some mother(s) felt they wanted their 5 minutes of fame and now its on this board being dissected. If scouting has to pass a moral litmus test for every business to participate then there probably won't be many left because everyone get offended over something.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:25 AM

15,676 posts, read 8,769,434 times
It's possible this was being discussed on social media, and somebody in the traditional media discovered it and contacted the mothers for a statement. We should not make the assumption that the women deliberately reached out to a reporter. People sometimes forget that social media IS media and that reporters monitor it for story leads.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's possible this was being discussed on social media, and somebody in the traditional media discovered it and contacted the mothers for a statement. We should not make the assumption that the women deliberately reached out to a reporter. People sometimes forget that social media IS media and that reporters monitor it for story leads.
Indeed, the mothers were down playing it when contacted by the media saying it wasnt about the girls or what they were wearing but that they felt they should have been informed about the decision to partner with Hooters as it doesn't "fit" with the scouts. I did read more then one story as I try to do when commenting on these boards. I agree with the mothers in this case. It should have been discussed with all parents. I wouldn't agree to my kid going to an event to be brand exposed to a business like Hooters. It didn't feel like the parents were running to the news to express outrage and get their 15 minutes at all.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:51 AM

15,676 posts, read 8,769,434 times
You and I are in agreement about this. Sadly, the outrage machine that is media in general today is not portraying that way, because they get more clicks by playing up the salacious angle. I still think this is much ado about nothing, but I'll be interested to hear what comes through the grapevine when I attend District Roundtable this month. I'm sure there will be discussion about the matter.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:07 AM

12,685 posts, read 9,447,497 times
Quote:
Hooters is not a sexualized bar. There is no evidence it is a sexualized bar. It is a sports bar.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:16 AM

3,462 posts, read 1,698,642 times
Quote:

You don't know that, and I think it's highly unlikely, if you've ever participated in fund raising for an organization you'd know sponsors don't come looking for you, they have many other ways of promoting their business. If you want to talk about incubating brand loyalty through children, I'd be looking at Coca Cola, McDonalds, General Mills, Frito Lay among many. Accepting the donation from a business that markets primarily to adults may have been a questionable call and I'm sure in retrospect the Denver troop will reconsider their guidelines in the future. But from Hooter's management and the girls who donated their time, I'd be willing to bet their intentions to help the boys were genuine.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:18 AM

11,079 posts, read 9,009,200 times
Some people won't be happy until the world provides the same shelters as they do in their home and life. What a fun place that would be! I suspect these people never turn on a TV or go out in public either? And of course NO access to the internet EVER.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
[/b]
You don't know that, and I think it's highly unlikely, if you've ever participated in fund raising for an organization you'd know sponsors don't come looking for you, they have many other ways of promoting their business. If you want to talk about incubating brand loyalty through children, I'd be looking at Coca Cola, McDonalds, General Mills, Frito Lay among many. Accepting the donation from a business that markets primarily to adults may have been a questionable call and I'm sure in retrospect the Denver troop will reconsider their guidelines in the future. But from Hooter's management and the girls who donated their time, I'd be willing to bet their intentions to help the boys were genuine.
This was my line of work. I know exactly what they were doing. I also know the business practices of Hooters to some extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events