Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 03:52 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Oh of course. That must be it. My nephews are a bit older and were the same way. Nice try. I also happen to have grown up a boy. And I'd know exactly where to look to find those Hooters waitresses again.
You must have been awfully precocious to have noticed such things as a seven-year-old. For goodness sake, the girls were not naked! They were dressed in t-shirts and shorts, just like my quite prim teenage daughter wears. Even my husband, who is fairly conservative about these things, is now rolling his eyes at this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 03:59 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
You must have been awfully precocious to have noticed such things as a seven-year-old. For goodness sake, the girls were not naked! They were dressed in t-shirts and shorts, just like my quite prim teenage daughter wears.
It was pointless to talk about that in the first place. Who cares whether they notice it or not? Then why not have a strip club sponsorship? Or the local Devil's Disciples chapter kick in a few bucks? The optics of it suggests the wrong message to the people raising the objection. The parents don't want their scout troup associated with a business that uses women's physical qualities as the main attraction of their business.

The fact that you are caught up in details and silly trite back and forth like so many others shows that you miss the point. You can like Hooters. You can go to Hooters. You can hold a Sunday school class at Hooters or have your Bah Mitzvah or Quinceanera there, the bottom line is these people have the right to NOT do it, and want a heads up about it before hand because they don't want to be associated with a business based on their principles. Passing judgment on them, while I admit has been somewhat entertaining, doesn't make them wrong and you right. Just different.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:11 PM

I'm caught up in the details because the Council where this day camp was held is MY Council. I am an experienced Scout leader and mother of two boys, one in college and the other in high school. Believe it or not, I am concerned about the optics of the situation, because I do not think Hooters is an appropriate sponsor for a Cub Scout day camp or any BSA event, and I have made my feelings known to the Scouting professionals involved in a private e-mail. That said, I am not the least bit worried that these boys will be scarred by the nice young women who came to volunteer. I think that aspect of the story is ridiculous. The young women involved look just like my daughter, who dresses similarly and also volunteers at Scouting events. To these seven-to-ten year old boys there is absolutely no difference. They're simply nice girls who came to help them make bird houses and supervise games just like my daughter and her Venture Scout peers do at other Cub Scout events.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:15 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
I'm caught up in the details because the Council where this day camp was held is MY Council. I am an experienced Scout leader and mother of two boys, one in college and the other in high school. Believe it or not, I am concerned about the optics of the situation, because I do not think Hooters is an appropriate sponsor for a Cub Scout day camp or any BSA event, and I have made my feelings known to the Scouting professionals involved in a private e-mail. That said, I am not the least bit worried that these boys will be scarred by the nice young women who came to volunteer. I think that aspect of the story is ridiculous. They look just like my daughter, who dresses similarly and also volunteers at Scouting events. To these seven-to-ten year old boys there is absolutely no difference. They're nice girls who came to help them make bird houses and supervise games just like my daughter and her Venture Scout peers do at other Cub Scout events.
That's not the only reason not to do it, and that isn't something I have suggested as happening. Those women were probably, nice - decent and the boys probably had a good time and enjoyed having them there. Still, isn't the point.

If you don think Hooters is an appropriate sponsor, then that is it and the bottom line. No need for us to go any further with it.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:29 PM

I'm glad we have that settled. This was an unfortunate lapse in judgement by our Council professionals, and members of the Scout community here in Denver have weighed in and made our feelings known. There is no reason for the country to go apoplectic. Unfortunately, outrage and salaciousness earn page clicks, so the media jumped on it. Now every person with an ax to grind against Scouting has to air their opinion, most of whom have nothing to do with the program and are just venting for no purpose other than to appear righteous.

Last edited by randomparent; 07-07-2016 at 04:45 PM..

Old 07-07-2016, 05:52 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
How about drilling into them that women who work at the restaurant are caring and supportive of the community while helping raise other people's children instead of reinforcing the objectification of women as sex objects devoid of humanity? Perhaps those children will grow up with more respect for others as a result?
This of course makes too much sense. Better off just painting them as whores and keeping your distance as opposed to seeing them as real people.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:00 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
"Marsha Corn, another concerned parent, told KMGH she thought that the "philosophies" of the Boys Scouts and Hooters were 'polar opposites.'"

That's a stretch.

Tempest in a teapot.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:01 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
When my son, who was about 11 at the time, he and I took a road trip and we had lunch at a Hooters. No big deal. It's not like they stripped in front of the patrons.

And what healthy, normal male doesn't appreciate the sight of pretty women?

It's not like you have to leer, drooling and grunting.

I wouldn't suggest buying a franchise in Sweden or Germany right now, however, given their new, uh, diversity problem.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:31 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Poor Cub Scouts. Caught in that short, awkward period of their lives between breast feeding and breast fondling.
I seriously doubt any of them cub scouts breast feed. Breast suck, yes.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:42 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
Quote:
I'm caught up in the details because the Council where this day camp was held is MY Council. I am an experienced Scout leader and mother of two boys, one in college and the other in high school. Believe it or not, I am concerned about the optics of the situation, because I do not think Hooters is an appropriate sponsor for a Cub Scout day camp or any BSA event, and I have made my feelings known to the Scouting professionals involved in a private e-mail. That said, I am not the least bit worried that these boys will be scarred by the nice young women who came to volunteer. I think that aspect of the story is ridiculous. The young women involved look just like my daughter, who dresses similarly and also volunteers at Scouting events. To these seven-to-ten year old boys there is absolutely no difference. They're simply nice girls who came to help them make bird houses and supervise games just like my daughter and her Venture Scout peers do at other Cub Scout events.
I agree, I was involved with the scouts years ago and we were involved with a similar dilemma, we opted out of the offer from the donor. But the decision was based on the transparent consensus of the fundraising committee. What was the problem in Denver? I suppose there could be troop leadership that is dominating, but it's usually lack of parent participation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events