U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 09:58 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,130,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Well lets just give Hooters a humanitarian award...maybe a coveted nobel.

I do want to thank this thread for *really* helping my rep count.
Wow- On the one hand too many people are upset that companies don't give back to their communities, yet when this one does out come the Gloomhildas and The Brothers Grim

So these Hooters Girls did some genuine good, helping out the youngsters because they appear to be decent people that treated the Scouts decently and respectfully, and you still can't acknowledge any good there? If the girls walked on water, would you rip on them and say "That's just because they can't swim"?
Boy talk about finding a cloud in a silver lining!! Does ANYONE meet your approval??
Bitter and not seeing the good in anyone can't be a very good way to go through life; but to each their own. Here a company does something truly good, helps out a good organization, and still gets looked down upon. I hardly think Hooters "objectifies" women. The young women get paid to work there, they work there by choice, customers are not allowed to grab them, they are not indentured sex slaves FFS

Maybe you and all your "rep count helpers" can get together and have the 1st Annual City-Data GrumbleFest where all those in attendance can dismiss and downplay the virtues of Mother Theresa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 09:58 PM

11,019 posts, read 6,565,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I am not talking about their volunteer service, that is fine! As I said, I would not want pot supporters advertising pot either at a cub scout function.
What does pot supporters have to do with anything? The girls were not at the scout promoting anything illegal.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:33 PM

3,996 posts, read 1,774,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Hmm, if it were me as a parent, I would have been like, cool.

Good for that Hooters chapter to step up and sponsor.

Parents Outraged to Learn a Local Hooters Sponsored Cub Scout Camp - ABC News
I read the linked article & saw the pictures & I can't figure out what the problem is!

There was literally NO skin in the pics; the girls were wearing ball caps & jackets...I've seen more cleavage from school librarians.

What ever happend to the oldie but goody "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"?

When my now 26 yr old son was 18 he got a job washing dishes at Hooters; I thought it was hysterical because his friends were all jealous of him!

I just rolled my eyes & said "You got a job WHERE?" because he couldn't have been more proud of himself!

Now, he's married, employed in the Energy industry & a daddy to one with one on the way so I guess he's not suffering from PTSD from the whole incident...

Old 07-08-2016, 01:22 AM

13,460 posts, read 14,445,292 times
Quote:
LOL no boys before 5th grade don't have any interest in women, nudity or sex. LOL OMG this is the funniest post of the day. Thanks so much for the laugh!

It doesn't go over their head, because its branding them for now and the future. Plus if you really thing pre-pubescent boys aren't interested in sex, boobs or nudity you are very, very misguided.
Exactly.

By the age of five I was playing "Doctor" with any neighborhood girls willing to play along.

I guarantee you it wasn't because I had a real interest in going into medicine.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:11 AM

3,462 posts, read 1,694,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Exactly.

By the age of five I was playing "Doctor" with any neighborhood girls willing to play along.

I guarantee you it wasn't because I had a real interest in going into medicine.
Whoa! You had sexual proclivities at 5????

Old 07-08-2016, 05:23 AM

11,790 posts, read 12,632,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What does pot supporters have to do with anything? The girls were not at the scout promoting anything illegal.
They are in Colorado.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:13 AM

7,171 posts, read 8,756,510 times
I am really glad that my children are now adults. The trend I have seen in the last few decades are parents who must hover and protect their children from anything that they think is unpleasant. These delicate snowflakes are shielded from all that is unpleasant and as they grow up they believe the world revolves around them, boy are they in for a shock as most find out as they enter college.

People on here are just horrified that these children attended an event sponsored by this business, it's one of a thousand experiences these children will have as they grow towards adulthood. You worry about branding, worry about the shootings they see on TV almost every day along with the monthly massacres that seem to be occurring that will have a far greater impact. Why don't you just stay home and worry what your child is looking at on the internet because that is potentially a far greater corrupter than a few ladies who gave of their time so kids could have a great afternoon.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:14 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,154,440 times
Good lord. There are a helluva lot worse things in the world than a cute girl in a tight t-shirt. For that matter, you will always do far more damage to a child's mind by teaching him there is something wrong with a naked body than you ever will by allowing him to see one in its natural form - and Hooters girls aren't even naked!

Old 07-08-2016, 02:05 PM

2,078 posts, read 2,903,275 times
Quote:
Yeah the child molestation and homophobia were the main reasons why I wont let my son be involved. But this adds to my impression that it isn't the organization for us and doesn't represent our values as a family.
Interesting reasoning. Do you allow your kids to do sports? They are FAR more likely to be molested there.

Homophobia? Are you aware they allow homosexual leaders now?

Darn those values of teaching kids to be trustworthy,loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent. Soooo bad.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:13 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,489,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Interesting reasoning. Do you allow your kids to do sports? They are FAR more likely to be molested there.

Homophobia? Are you aware they allow homosexual leaders now?

Darn those values of teaching kids to be trustworthy,loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent. Soooo bad.
Lets keep our heads planted firmly in the sand. Hooters is a family friendly eating establishment who really just love owls and the BSA didn't have major scandals associated with rampant child molestation and homophobia. I'm fine with that. Next topic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events