U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2016, 02:32 PM

15,589 posts, read 8,749,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Lets keep our heads planted firmly in the sand. Hooters is a family friendly eating establishment who really just love owls and the BSA didn't have major scandals associated with rampant child molestation and homophobia. I'm fine with that. Next topic...
Rampant child molestation? Amazing that all of the boys and girls in my family have come through Scouting without being sexually abused. I'm not trying to minimize the horror of child sexual abuse, but let's not conflate the issue with Hooters sending volunteers to help with a Cub Scout day camp.

Please just stop, HFB. It's clear that you know very little about the BSA and its Youth Protection Training nor any of the other safeguards put in place to protect youth through our Guide to Safe Scouting, which includes criminal background checks for registered, uniformed leaders. Tell me, has your neighborhood soccer coach had a criminal background check?

Last edited by randomparent; 07-08-2016 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 02:56 PM

2,078 posts, read 2,905,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Lets keep our heads planted firmly in the sand. Hooters is a family friendly eating establishment who really just love owls and the BSA didn't have major scandals associated with rampant child molestation and homophobia. I'm fine with that. Next topic...
I make no comment on Hooters.

Rampant molestation? Not in anything like recent history. In modern times all volunteers are thoroughly vetted. In fact, BSA Youth Protection policies are considered a model for ALL youth serving organizations. Again, I'll say kids are in far more danger of that on sports teams. But, since there is no national organization to go after there, you won't hear about that.

Homophobia? Yeah-huge news there. Went to the supreme court, and didn't allow homosexual leaders for decades. Now they do. Now the conservatives don't like them because they allow homosexuals, and the liberals don't like them because they didn't USED to allow homosexuals. Gotta love people.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:00 PM

11,031 posts, read 6,574,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
They are in Colorado.
Yes, I'm aware that Denver is in Colorado.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:16 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,639,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, I'm aware that Denver is in Colorado.
Are you aware that pot is legal in Colorado? Because this post says you don't:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What does pot supporters have to do with anything? The girls were not at the scout promoting anything illegal.
But just because it is legal doesn't mean the parents should be okay with them being a promotional partner in a fundraiser, which was his point.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:50 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,981,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
How about drilling into them that women who work at the restaurant are caring and supportive of the community while helping raise other people's children instead of reinforcing the objectification of women as sex objects devoid of humanity? Perhaps those children will grow up with more respect for others as a result?
This caught my eye. Are you really saying that volunteers at a day camp are "helping raise other people's children"?

Old 07-08-2016, 06:05 PM

13,466 posts, read 14,451,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Whoa! You had sexual proclivities at 5????
Sure. Didn't everyone?

Never engaged in anything more than looking and touching. Natural curiosity.

Obviously we didn't know what or why at that age.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:29 PM

19,273 posts, read 20,155,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Homophobia? Yeah-huge news there. Went to the supreme court, and didn't allow homosexual leaders for decades. Now they do. Now the conservatives don't like them because they allow homosexuals, and the liberals don't like them because they didn't USED to allow homosexuals. Gotta love people.
There is a common thread here...

Old 07-08-2016, 06:50 PM

564 posts, read 261,039 times
Times have changed. Boys are no longer PC if they are not wooses. But guess what, Mommy? Normal boys like girls, boobies, the whole bit. If I look back over 60 years ago, I got a kick out of the developed young girl wearing a real bra who sat in front of me in sixth grade. Still recall her name!

Probably down to fourth grade these days.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:38 PM

336 posts, read 191,391 times
Default bigger house

[quote=MikeBear;44642499]That's like that old joke where some gamblers want to give a large amount of (gambling) money to the CHURCH, and people don't understand why the pastor didn't turn it down because it was "evil money":

Pastor: "The Devil has had use of this money LONG enough!" "It's time to see what the LORD can do with it!"

The pastor can get a new car.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:21 PM

11,031 posts, read 6,574,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Are you aware that pot is legal in Colorado?
Are you aware that it would be illegal for boy scouts to smoke pot at summer camp?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events