U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 08:38 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,460,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Oh no! These boys may have seen these Hooters girls as people who helped them out but with the interference of the parents the boys will see the Hooters girls as naughty sex objects to be objectified.
I've always seen Hooter's gals as people who like to flaunt what they got. You won't be young and sexy forever. (Well, I will, but all you zombies...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 08:46 AM

11,069 posts, read 8,998,172 times
Those boys would obviously never see anything close to what these women wear while making it through society in 2016, so the parents are right to be outraged!

Old 07-05-2016, 08:48 AM

42,237 posts, read 49,783,147 times
Being outraged at everything is so 2015.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:58 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,814,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Hooters is a very sexist organization. If you have seen the inner workings, you will see they treat their servers like crap...like pieces of meat. And the outfits are not suitable for children to see. They are not bathing suits and they are not at the public pool. The girls are dressed to give old men a thrill and they flirt for tips. And if they aren't "friendly enough", gain a few pounds, or aren't made up enough, they gt sent home. No, no they should not be any part of any youth group or event. They aren't a youth establishment (even if some trashy parents take kids there). I would never be ok with my kids being exposed to that without my permission. And I would say hell no.
Miss America shares of the same standards as Hooters.

As a parent, I'd probably wonder how Hooters got involved, but I wouldn't worry about damage done to my sons. I have two boys and both were in scouts for a period of time. What I know about scouts is that it takes a lot of volunteers to run and they need parents there helping out. As a parent, I didn't get the choice to just drop my sons off at camp. I was expected to participate in one way or another. That means usually either me or my husband went to camp outs and day camps. We saw what was happening and we could chose to participate or not. I didn't always like the choices made by some of the other parents, but I was there and involved so my kids got the values I wanted. The Hooters girls were most likely very fun and interested in nothing more then an age appropriate behavior.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:02 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,726,205 times
Since when are girls wearing shorts and T-shirts considered dressed inapropriately? The only difference in the outfits worn by Hooters waitresses and any other sports bar are that the Hooters ones say Hooters and the others have, hmmmmmmmm, the name of the other bar on them. That is it.

As far as waitresses and bartenders flirting and or smiling and making small talk? Go to any other bar or restaurant and those who act that way generally get tipped better. Perhaps their friendliness is what makes that group of guys watching their team lose on the TV and ready to leave, actually stay for another round or two, increasing the restaurants sales and adding to the tips.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:30 AM

3,002 posts, read 1,258,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Oh, just Christians? Really?
Nope, not just Christians. You wouldn't believe how pervasive the Jewish modesty laws are. Public swimming pools have regular "men only" and "women only" times. You're not even allowed to be nude while changing clothes in the privacy of your own room; you have to change one piece of clothing, then another. Nudity is only OK for bathing/showering and sex. (And the "sex through the hole in the sheet" thing is a stereotype and a myth, although it's been heavily reclaimed by Jewish comedians.)

Old 07-05-2016, 09:31 AM

9,351 posts, read 5,178,485 times
That's right here in Denver, saw it on the news last night.

My wife and I joked that, if Hooters girls crashing their son's Cub Scout events is biggest "issue" these moms have to worry about with their kids, then Denver is a nice place to live LOL.

I'm convinced that some folks just live in a bubble and have absolutely no idea what is really going on in the world around them.

Okay, maybe I can see how you're upset that Hooters girls were at your Kid's cub scout meeting. But to go to the news about it?! Is this real life?!

Last edited by skins_fan82; 07-05-2016 at 10:00 AM..

Old 07-05-2016, 10:21 AM

7,175 posts, read 8,766,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Hooters is a very sexist organization. If you have seen the inner workings, you will see they treat their servers like crap...like pieces of meat. And the outfits are not suitable for children to see. They are not bathing suits and they are not at the public pool. The girls are dressed to give old men a thrill and they flirt for tips. And if they aren't "friendly enough", gain a few pounds, or aren't made up enough, they gt sent home. No, no they should not be any part of any youth group or event. They aren't a youth establishment (even if some trashy parents take kids there). I would never be ok with my kids being exposed to that without my permission. And I would say hell no.
What hole in the sand did you pull your head out of? The picture shows the girls wearing gym short and t-shirts and are wearing jackets half zipped over the shirts, far from this scantily clad outfit you seem to envision. I think it's great that a local business is giving back to the community that they are in and it shouldn't have to pass some litmus test that your faith based opinions seem to reflect.

Since when does a business have to be a "youth establishment" to want to contribute or is that another of your narrow minded views that..how did you say it "trashy parents" don't abide by. But at least your kids are safe because by the time you are done sanitizing their world anything beyond white bread and plain cardboard will be exciting for them.

Hope you make this a morals lesson when you home school them..

Old 07-05-2016, 10:24 AM

746 posts, read 625,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Since when are girls wearing shorts and T-shirts considered dressed inapropriately? The only difference in the outfits worn by Hooters waitresses and any other sports bar are that the Hooters ones say Hooters and the others have, hmmmmmmmm, the name of the other bar on them. That is it.

As far as waitresses and bartenders flirting and or smiling and making small talk? Go to any other bar or restaurant and those who act that way generally get tipped better. Perhaps their friendliness is what makes that group of guys watching their team lose on the TV and ready to leave, actually stay for another round or two, increasing the restaurants sales and adding to the tips.

^^^ Exactly. These parents are acting as if waitresses dressed in skimpy gear is something new and something that their children haven't been exposed to at some point in time already. PLEASE- like your little Boy Scout ain't surfing the net and checking out skin sites? Or gawking at magazines that their brothers/fathers/friends have that feature naked women?

I doubt that having little Jimmy standing next to a girl wearing a tight top and short shorts is going to scar him for life and completely objectify women. And if it DOES, well, then, perhaps Jimmy's parents need some lessons as to how to teach Jimmy how to distinguish the difference.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:26 AM

7,175 posts, read 8,766,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Nope, not just Christians. You wouldn't believe how pervasive the Jewish modesty laws are. Public swimming pools have regular "men only" and "women only" times. You're not even allowed to be nude while changing clothes in the privacy of your own room; you have to change one piece of clothing, then another. Nudity is only OK for bathing/showering and sex. (And the "sex through the hole in the sheet" thing is a stereotype and a myth, although it's been heavily reclaimed by Jewish comedians.)
You are referring to those of the Ultra Orthodox/Hassidic sects which can only be compared to FLDS, Amish, Ultra Conservative Fundamentalist Christians and other faith based groups that adhere to a very narrow guidelines and more often than not choose to live/work apart from mainstream society. It is not representative of most in the faith, in fact those folks would probably not even have their sons participating in the Cub Scouts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events