Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2016, 07:10 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,045,657 times

Advertisements

I'm a scout leader and so long as the girls volunteering were following the Guide to Safe Scouting, 2 deep leadership, and from the pictures were more than appropriately dressed, this sounds like much ado about nothing, mainly because there are people who can never pass up an opportunity to be offended by something.

All those folks who are offended, you are more than welcome to donate money and more importantly volunteer your time. We are always looking for people who are willing to work with boys and young adults. There are plenty of boys out there for whom even just a summer day camp will be the best thing that happens to them this year, so come on down and get involved in the dirt with us, these young men will appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 09:07 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Businesses sponsor kids events to drill in brand recognition at an early age. Pizza places offer at cost pizza to preschools. Hooters sponsors this kid events to make Hooters look fun to kids so they ask their parents to go, and if the parents say no, to make it something they will try out as soon as possible. Its marketing to children and it isn't ok.

I don't think the women who work there are morally bankrupt...people who choose to let them sponsor a kids group lack a moral compass or at least the ability to understand others have different values and morals then they do.
Well, then, no organization should take donations or sponsorships from any business, right? The kids will only be able to participate in activities that their parents can afford, right? Some will enjoy and some will not.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:02 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
It seems some sexually repressed prudes think mammary glands are evil. Note: mammary glands are NOT sex organs.

Regardless, breasts are not evil.
I think it's more the fact of making women seem to consist of nothing more than their mammary glands that is the problem.
Hooters' target market is not young families and IMO it's pretty silly for anyone to pretend that it's just a fun place with friendly and pretty girls. I had a family member in hooters mgt, it was pretty interesting to hear some of the behind the scenes stuff and I found a lot of it demeaning towards women.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:10 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Oh no! These boys may have seen these Hooters girls as people who helped them out but with the interference of the parents the boys will see the Hooters girls as naughty sex objects to be objectified.

Lol, oh give me a very large break.

Setting aside the "to-do" about their good deed, the entire Hooters franchise theme is one of promoting the girls as naughty sex objects to be objectified.

Thanks for the laugh.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:04 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Lol, oh give me a very large break.

Setting aside the "to-do" about their good deed, the entire Hooters franchise theme is one of promoting the girls as naughty sex objects to be objectified.

Thanks for the laugh.
Hooters is a restaurant chain . They have their gimmick. If you don't approve don't patronize them. Nothing wrong with them doing something for the community.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:19 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,697,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
By parents they mean one or a few jealous moms...

I don't see an issue.

Yep. I would love to see some pictures of the offended Moms. Bet they are a good looking bunch !

Amazing, a group steps up and does some good for someone and they are criticized for doing it.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:04 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
It has nothing to do with what they were wearing the day of the event. It is that it is marketing a booby bar to children. That is what sponsorship is about. I worked in marketing. It is marketing 101! Branding kids, so that the kids have brand recognition. If they really cared, the would have given money and not sent their hooters girls to get the interest of the kids.
This is the answer right here.

All you guys talking about what kids see at the beach or jealous moms or whatever else are barking up the wrong tree. The troop parents should've been asked permission. Or maybe Hooters be allowed to donate but no promotional shoots. Some might say just habing their logo among a list of sponsors on a bulletin board may be too much and that is their right but doing a promotional shoot with the ladies was too far and people have a right not to like it. They couldve had the location manager or a couple of the dishwashers and cooks come take pictures with the boys and use the DBA name of the local franchise instead. I mean, after all, the true intention is to help the troop right?

Old 07-06-2016, 07:22 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I mean, after all, the true intention is to help the troop right?
Again, I will LOL at this.

*Any* business that gives money like this is not doing it out of sheer altruism. To hold Hooters to a standard that NO OTHER BUSINESS would be held to is ridiculous.

And, again I will say that if the parents are offended at who or what entity gives money, they should get off their duffs and fundraise or volunteer their own time. Or, just pay the unsubsidized price of summer camp out of their own pocket, and not have to take the chance of being "offended". Me thinks that would raise more than a couple of hackles.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:30 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Again, I will LOL at this.

*Any* business that gives money like this is not doing it out of sheer altruism. To hold Hooters to a standard that NO OTHER BUSINESS would be held to is ridiculous.

And, again I will say that if the parents are offended at who or what entity gives money, they should get off their duffs and fundraise or volunteer their own time. Or, just pay the unsubsidized price of summer camp out of their own pocket, and not have to take the chance of being "offended". Me thinks that would raise more than a couple of hackles.
Yep. I feel for the district professionals who spend every hour of every work day scrambling for money. It's really expensive to run these programs, even with the huge cohort of volunteers who give an unbelievable number of hours with no expectation of even a thank you. All of my kids have benefitted from Scouting in one form or another, and the amazing adventures they've had will stay with them for a lifetime. Our entire family loves Scouting. The constant need for fund-raising gets a little old sometimes, but it's worth it.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:31 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
By parents they mean one or a few jealous moms...

I don't see an issue.

Yep. Mrs. Marsha Muffintop can't compete with the Hooters girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events