U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 08:36 AM

7,988 posts, read 6,754,654 times

Advertisements

Notice the Mom's interviewed were on the heavy side. I believe a bit of jealousy reared its head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 08:38 AM

15,770 posts, read 8,809,864 times
Current female Scout leader murmuring quietly to herself through gritted teeth..."A Scout is courteous, a Scout is kind, a Scout is courteous, a Scout is kind."

Old 07-06-2016, 08:41 AM

9,559 posts, read 13,388,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Again, I will LOL at this.

*Any* business that gives money like this is not doing it out of sheer altruism. To hold Hooters to a standard that NO OTHER BUSINESS would be held to is ridiculous.

And, again I will say that if the parents are offended at who or what entity gives money, they should get off their duffs and fundraise or volunteer their own time. Or, just pay the unsubsidized price of summer camp out of their own pocket, and not have to take the chance of being "offended". Me thinks that would raise more than a couple of hackles.
You do realize that a lot of the kids who go to the subsidized camps are from areas where fundraising isn't much of an option right? When I was a part of scouting almost all the activities and programs relied heavily on volunteers so I think you are barking up the wrong tree with that line of argument. Tourian and HFB have a point about the girls. If the company simply wanted recognition and an attaboy they could have sent a team consisting of everyone from the busboys on up to the general manager (which IS what a lot of companies do) instead of using the girls as a publicity grab.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:49 AM

11,790 posts, read 12,669,599 times
Quote:
Again, I will LOL at this.

*Any* business that gives money like this is not doing it out of sheer altruism. To hold Hooters to a standard that NO OTHER BUSINESS would be held to is ridiculous.

And, again I will say that if the parents are offended at who or what entity gives money, they should get off their duffs and fundraise or volunteer their own time. Or, just pay the unsubsidized price of summer camp out of their own pocket, and not have to take the chance of being "offended". Me thinks that would raise more than a couple of hackles.
Ah so you skipped through all my post where they could still promote the business and its employees without using the waitresses just to jump to my tongue in cheek, facetious and above all else, rhetorical question at the end. Lol at you. They most certainly have the right to hold them to a standard. They would probably not want a strip club, abortion clinic or a KKK klavern promoting with them either.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:53 AM

6,307 posts, read 7,148,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You do realize that a lot of the kids who go to the subsidized camps are from areas where fundraising isn't much of an option right?
So where do they get the money? From sponsors. Local businesses that give money in return for a tax write-off and some publicity. I honestly don't see where the "argument" is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

Tourian and HFB have a point about the girls. If the company simply wanted recognition and an attaboy they could have sent a team consisting of everyone from the busboys on up to the general manager (which IS what a lot of companies do) instead of using the girls as a publicity grab.
So, no girls at all? Just busboys and maybe the bookkeeper?

I think you are the one who is barking up the wrong tree.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:57 AM

6,307 posts, read 7,148,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
They most certainly have the right to hold them to a standard. They would probably not want a strip club, abortion clinic or a KKK klavern promoting with them either.
Obviously, if there is such an issue with Hooters being a sponsor, those who thought that this was a good idea should be relieved of their duties in the future. I'm sure there are lots of people who will volunteer to find other, more "family friendly" sponsors. Or, just have the families pay the unsubsidized price for the summer camp and not have to deal with issues like this. Seems awfully simple to me.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:02 AM

8,699 posts, read 2,945,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Hmm, if it were me as a parent, I would have been like, cool.

Good for that Hooters chapter to step up and sponsor.

Parents Outraged to Learn a Local Hooters Sponsored Cub Scout Camp - ABC News
I hope they earned a badge.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:11 AM

11,790 posts, read 12,669,599 times
Quote:
Obviously, if there is such an issue with Hooters being a sponsor, those who thought that this was a good idea should be relieved of their duties in the future. I'm sure there are lots of people who will volunteer to find other, more "family friendly" sponsors. Or, just have the families pay the unsubsidized price for the summer camp and not have to deal with issues like this. Seems awfully simple to me.
It is also awfully simply to realize there's middle ground and people with differing standards in this world. It would not take "lots" of people to go through a list of local businesses like car dealers, sporting goods stores, HVAC techs and quick lube places and pick out the one that promotes itself using t&a.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:18 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,518,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I'm a scout leader and so long as the girls volunteering were following the Guide to Safe Scouting, 2 deep leadership, and from the pictures were more than appropriately dressed, this sounds like much ado about nothing, mainly because there are people who can never pass up an opportunity to be offended by something.

All those folks who are offended, you are more than welcome to donate money and more importantly volunteer your time. We are always looking for people who are willing to work with boys and young adults. There are plenty of boys out there for whom even just a summer day camp will be the best thing that happens to them this year, so come on down and get involved in the dirt with us, these young men will appreciate it.
Actually it is one more reason I wont let my son get involved with scouting. If you think it helps your organization, you are mistaken.

Again, it wasnt about what they were wearing that day. It is about them drilling in a booby bar brand into the kids heads. Not ok.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:20 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,518,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Well, then, no organization should take donations or sponsorships from any business, right? The kids will only be able to participate in activities that their parents can afford, right? Some will enjoy and some will not.
I am not thrilled with any marketing to children but I know it isn't going to stop. However, I very much disagree that a booby bar should be marketed to children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events