Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 01:04 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
What hole in the sand did you pull your head out of? The picture shows the girls wearing gym short and t-shirts and are wearing jackets half zipped over the shirts, far from this scantily clad outfit you seem to envision. I think it's great that a local business is giving back to the community that they are in and it shouldn't have to pass some litmus test that your faith based opinions seem to reflect.

Since when does a business have to be a "youth establishment" to want to contribute or is that another of your narrow minded views that..how did you say it "trashy parents" don't abide by. But at least your kids are safe because by the time you are done sanitizing their world anything beyond white bread and plain cardboard will be exciting for them.

Hope you make this a morals lesson when you home school them..
I was taking about the clothes they wear while working. I don't want my kids branded (and thats why local business support these things to brand the kids to their establishment) to a sexist almost-***** bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 01:07 PM

It isn't about being exposed to them. We all go to the beach and see people in less. Heck, my kids see me naked. Its about branding kids to establishments that are historically sexist and don't represent the values your family has. I don't want my kids to have warm fuzzy feelings about some place as disgusting as hooters.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:17 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I don't want my kids to have warm fuzzy feelings about some place as disgusting as hooters.
What is "disgusting" about Hooters?

Cheesy, tacky, OK. But not sure what's so horrible about (allegedly) attractive servers hawking chicken wings and beer, and those servers wanting to give back to a community organization.

Americans, in particular, seem to have some major boob hangups. Stop making such a big deal about this nonsense, and boys will probably grow up being less likely to objectify women.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:38 PM

17,614 posts, read 17,649,156 times
Bet these outraged parents have no problem with their boys seeing women at the pool/beach in bikinis. I've been to Hooters during off peak times. That's when you get to see the waitresses relax. They are women, not strippers. Some of them are mothers. Heck, some of those "Hooters Girls" probably had a kid in those Cub Scouts. It's a restaurant, not a strip club.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:41 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I was taking about the clothes they wear while working. I don't want my kids branded (and thats why local business support these things to brand the kids to their establishment) to a sexist almost-***** bar.
Your really going to have a problem when your kids turn 18 and are able to think & act for themselves. Most people don't find the outfits to be a problem and obviously the woman don't because they choose to work there, it's not indentured servitude. Hooters is not the only business that expects a certain appearance of their employee's and please don't start listing adult industries as examples.

You as a parent have a right to add scouting to the banned list for your children that's your choice but not to ban it for others because it won't pass your litmus test.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:44 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,648,398 times
everything was fine bu the boys were spending a large amount of time in the bathroom!!!

Old 07-05-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Your really going to have a problem when your kids turn 18 and are able to think & act for themselves. Most people don't find the outfits to be a problem and obviously the woman don't because they choose to work there, it's not indentured servitude. Hooters is not the only business that expects a certain appearance of their employee's and please don't start listing adult industries as examples.

You as a parent have a right to add scouting to the banned list for your children that's your choice but not to ban it for others because it won't pass your litmus test.
I knew me speaking up this way would get personal insults against my parenting. Ive been getting tons of rep points for daring to say this.

I have kids who are adults. I am very comfortable with the decisions they make as being their own. So far, they have continued with the values I have instilled in them. Does it mean they do everything I agree with. Heck no. But I don't say anything about the rest of it because they are adults and I have no intention of chasing them away. I know they are their own person.

By disgusting I mean they objectify women and treat them poorly. Its a fact. I feel bad for women who think that is a way to make money. I am a woman...older now, but when I was younger I was a looker (with big boobs btw) and I know to be objectified sucks. You learn to swallow it, shove it away, but it feels gross. I know girls who seemed to like it but...yeah there was something off about them. Women who flirt to gain stuff, I don't have much respect for them. Bottom line.

I raise my kids to hopefully respect both genders and not treat them and objects.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:11 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
If the parents want to take issue then they need to drum up replacement donations...talk about ridiculous B.S.

Parents have the chance to volunteer and help plan events. Parent's griping after the work has all been done get no respect from me, why weren't these parents there volunteering.

That's like bitching over who was elected when you didn't even vote.

Last edited by JanND; 07-05-2016 at 02:54 PM..

Old 07-05-2016, 02:16 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,448,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
You seemed to not see the part "women being treated as sex objects" this is a woman's choice to work were she wants........but if she thinks men come in to see her brain, well sir you might not have eyes.

I am not at all against Hooters, I asked my husband to take me there one year for my birthday, so I could see what all the fuss was about. Much to the dismay of my liberal family members..... The girls were not attractive, they couldn't fill out the shirt and personality was not what they were hired for. So tell me again, why should we teach out young men to look at T&A while building Pinewood Derby cars?
Nor am I. A pity that your words fall on some C-D folks deaf ears.

El Nox

Old 07-05-2016, 02:19 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,108,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Some of us like to teach our children women are more than T&A.......I actually don't see this any different than men who think women should stay in the kitchen. All men have done is okay the women to get a job in a restaurant and still serve them food, half naked instead of barefoot and pregnant. Taking your kid to the beach or Hooters one would expect half dressed women, sending your child off to Boy Scouts I would hope the den mom wasn't interested in having sex with my 12 yr old.
Fair enough. I respect your opinion, but couldn't disagree with you more.

By the way, did you actually see the pictures of the women by any chance? They weren't in their work attire, with low cut tank tops with their breasts hanging out. They were in full t-shirts, with jackets on top. And it's my understanding that these gals volunteered to take part in the event, they were not being paid while there.

And you completely lost me with the den mom having sex with 12 year old comment...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events