U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 01:07 PM

4,616 posts, read 6,129,713 times

Advertisements

The thing that troubles me about this is that the family set up a GoFundMe account.

I can't put my finger on the reason that bothers me, but it does.

11,586 posts, read 17,526,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It was an accident and it happens everyday with others things that don't involve guns (cars for example). The intent was not there, thus it was an accident.
There are AD's - "accidental discharges" and ND's - "negligent discharges" in firearms terminology.

However there is a school of thought in the gun-owning community, who by and large are extremely safety conscious, that there are NO accidental discharges - simply enough AD's do not exist except maybe in terms of gun mechanical failure, which with today's modern quality standards are extremely rare. There are 4 simply safety rules to follow in firearms handling, that's it, just 4 - following those rules to the letter will eliminate 99.99% of firearms accidents. One could argue then, and the gun owner himself is claiming, that he was negligent.

15,913 posts, read 12,471,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
What charges should he face?
Don't know how your laws work over there, but careless use of a firearm would be a start here, and possibly involuntary manslaughter.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:08 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,686,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
NO ONE is happy that a child is dead. But how many children have to die before we're allowed to have the conversation without being labeled heartless?
You aren't allowed to "politicize" the situation according to the NRA nuts. Dad would have killed the kid anyways, I guess.

Obviously the fact that this kid was killed by a gun is TOTALLY unrelated to whether or not we should have any gun regulations. At last that's what will be claimed. Of course this doesn't go for car safety, plane safety, tool safety, etc., but when it comes to guns, for some reason increased standards/regulation are never the answer; the answer is just handing out more guns to everyone, even suspected terrorists.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:10 PM

10,683 posts, read 17,049,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You aren't allowed to "politicize" the situation according to the NRA nuts. Dad would have killed the kid anyways, I guess.

Obviously the fact that this kid was killed by a gun is TOTALLY unrelated to whether or not we should have any gun regulations. At last that's what will be claimed.
Only because it's true, despite the jaw flapping of the anti's. There is plenty of existing regulation, which one is missing that would have changed this guys behavior?

Old 07-05-2016, 01:11 PM

6,307 posts, read 7,142,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
I may make mistake but I don't expect to just walk without consequences.
2nd degree murder is what needs in this case.
You killed someone but wasn't planned.
It was not the gun that fired automatically and killed the kid.
The guy pulled the trigger.
It doesn't matter that it was his son so he must be hurting so he shouldn't be punished.
What if it were someone else in the gun range?
No, it's not murder.

Perhaps, under Florida law, it might fall under a category of manslaughter- if recklessness or such can be shown.

I'm sure if there is evidence that there was some sort of criminal negligence or recklessness, the DA will lay charges.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:13 PM

2,834 posts, read 4,029,339 times
Quote:
I may make mistake but I don't expect to just walk without consequences.
2nd degree murder is what needs in this case.
You killed someone but wasn't planned.
It was not the gun that fired automatically and killed the kid.
The guy pulled the trigger.
It doesn't matter that it was his son so he must be hurting so he shouldn't be punished.
What if it were someone else in the gun range?
Most likely he'll face manslaughter charges, it was his negligence that took the life of his son and he'll be paying for this the rest of his life.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:13 PM

6,307 posts, read 7,142,643 times
Quote:
Yes, but other things are not weapons. They are needed for day to day work.
Guns are specifically made to kill.
In any case, this is exactly the problem with gun.
You can do willy-nilly with guns and if something bad happens, Oh well, it was an accident.
No accountability at all.
No wonder everyone wants a gun.
Where in the world are you getting that there's no accountability?

Old 07-05-2016, 01:15 PM

11,586 posts, read 17,526,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You aren't allowed to "politicize" the situation according to the NRA nuts. .
You mean according to the moderator of this forum. Arguing that point (or calling him a "nut") will likely get you a ticket to banned camp.
There is a lively debate on this exact same topic in the P&C forum however.

Here I can link you to it, knock yourself out and rage away:
Teenager accidentally shot by father on shooting range

Old 07-05-2016, 01:17 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,686,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Only because it's true, despite the jaw flapping of the anti gun nuts. There is plenty of existing regulation, which one is missing that would have changed this guys behavior?
You keep believing that, I guess. It's absurd, but people are entitled to have crazy opinions with zero sense.

Has no logical underpinnings whatsoever, but if you think that giving everyone nukes or mustard gas or anthrax agents is unrelated to spread of such things, then go with it. Similarly, if you think a discussion of gun violence is unrelated to a discussion of gun regulation, and any discussion of gun laws is "politicizing" the gun massacre of the week, then go with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or