Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 10:23 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,284,495 times

Advertisements

and says "The gun didn't kill my boy, I did". I bet if he was not holding the gun, he would still kill his son with his bare hands as it's not the gun. :S

Father accidentally kills son at Florida gun range | FOX31 Denver

SARASOTA COUNTY, Fla. — Stephen Brumby had a long list of hobbies and interests, and at 14 years old, he was starting to catch up to his father and older siblings.

He loved tennis, bass fishing and playing worship piano at church, a talent he inherited from his grandmother, his father said.

He also enjoyed shooting, a skill he learned from his father, William Clayton Brumby. Target practice was one of those things Stephen was poised to surpass his father on at the gun range.

Because their parents keep guns in the home for self-defense, each of the seven Brumby children learned gun safety at an appropriate age, Clayton Brumby said.

“We wanted our kids to be aware of guns,” he said. “I wanted them to be comfortable around them and understand them.”

None of those lessons made a difference Sunday, when Clayton Brumby accidentally shot Stephen to death at a gun range.

‘Every round in the gun is your responsibility’

Clayton Brumby, 64, pulled the trigger while trying to fish a hot shell casing out of the back of his shirt, according to the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office. The investigation continues, but at the moment there are no charges pending against the father, the department said in a statement Monday.

Clayton Brumby does not dispute the department’s account and accepts responsibility for his son’s death. He hopes the incident serves as a reminder to parents to be vigilant in anything they do with their children, bearing in mind that anything can happen despite anyone’s best intentions and preparation.

“The gun didn’t kill my boy. I did,” he said. “Every round in the gun is your responsibility. When it fires you need to stand to account for it it. That’s what I’ve spent the last two days doing, accounting for my operating error.”

‘I made a mistake’

Clayton Brumby brought Stephen, his 24-year-old son and his 12-year-old daughter to High Noon Gun Range for target shooting, just as he did once or twice a month.

After Clayton Brumby fired a round at a target the bullet casing was ejected from the handgun. The casing bounced off the wall and fell into the back of his shirt, the sheriff’s office said.

In an attempt to remove the casing , the elder Brumby reached behind his back with the hand that was holding the gun. While doing so, he inadvertently pulled the trigger, the department said.

The father said the round hit the ceiling and came down on his son.

“It was a very freak accident. I made a mistake,” he said. “It doesn’t take but a split second for something to go wrong and that could be [the case] with a gun, it could be with the wrong medicine, it could be with any number of things.”

‘I can’t fix this’

Middle son Stephen’s death leaves a big hole in his family’s heart, his father said. Stephen was as sweet and gregarious as they come, always willing to help his mother clean the house, fix the television or log on to email.

To his youngest sister with spina bifida, he was her caregiver and best friend, his father said. Stephen’s family has set up an online fundraiser for funeral and other expenses.

As he entered his teen years, Stephen was beginning to take an interest in family conversations around the dinner table about life’s bigger questions, his father said.

His family had high hopes for him. After finishing homeschooling with his mother, his parents hoped he would follow his older siblings to college.

What would he have done? Clayton Brumby is not sure. At 14, Stephen was just beginning to focus his interests. But his father is confident he would have been successful, no matter what he did.

“He had a heart that was bigger than he was,” Clayton Brumby said. “He was always thinking outside the box.”

The incident has not changed his views of guns, he said. He still intends to keep them in the home and use them for self-defense of his home and family.

“I can’t fix this. It’s just a great loss but thankfully we’ll see him someday. I have a feeling he’s on a great lake out there,” he said.

FILED IN: NATIONAL/WORLD NEWS

Last edited by Mystery123; 07-05-2016 at 10:39 AM..

Old 07-05-2016, 10:33 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
and says "The gun didn't kill my boy, I did". I bet if he was not holding the gun, he would still kill his son with his bare hands as it's not the gun. :S

Father accidentally kills son at Florida gun range | FOX31 Denver

Listen - you've got to take into account the gun's feelings. Even though it specifically designed and made to be a deadly weapon, is designed to kill people, it can't be blamed here.

Thank God for the rise in people sympathetic to guns, and gun rights. Sorry I mean guns' rights. Guns, like corporations, are people too. Guns deserve sympathy and guns deserve rights.

Last edited by bg7; 07-05-2016 at 11:45 AM..

Old 07-05-2016, 10:58 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
and says "The gun didn't kill my boy, I did".
He's right.

When he made the decision to bring firearms into the home, he increased the chances that someone in that home would be killed by a firearm.

Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study

Old 07-05-2016, 11:03 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
In before the lock since unfortunetly other posters will not be able to stick to the topic of firearm safety and instead turn the tragedy into an agenda item.

This is also a dup to a P&C thread.....also I can't resist - having a pool increases the chances of drowning, having a chain saw increases the chances of sawing your hand off, eating something with bones in it increases your chances of choking to death, owning a vehicle increases your changes of causing a traffic accident, etc...
In other news, kid in florida gets eaten by alligator.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:16 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
In before the lock since unfortunetly other posters will not be able to stick to the topic of firearm safety and instead turn the tragedy into an agenda item.

This is also a dup to a P&C thread.....also I can't resist - having a pool increases the chances of drowning, having a chain saw increases the chances of sawing your hand off, eating something with bones in it increases your chances of choking to death, owning a vehicle increases your changes of causing a traffic accident, etc...
In other news, kid in florida gets eaten by alligator.
Exactly and I am surprised (or maybe not) that so many people fail to understand such concept.

"People with pools are more likely to have a child drown", well duh. "people with guns are more likely to have a child shot by one", well duh.

This guy violated gun safety rules. No amount of laws will ever prevent that. He knows what the rules are, but he got complacent and violated them.

And before posters come in with "well, in Europe, blah, blah, blah", shooting ranges are popular there, so the same incident can happen there.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:18 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
What a moron. I've had casings go down my shirt like that and the first thing you do is put the weapon down and THEN fish out the casing. Seriously, this moron deserves to be tossed into jail on stupidity alone. Who tries to fish out a shell from your shirt with the hand currently holding a loaded weapon.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:21 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
And away we go! The anti-gun people are happy as hot pigs in cool mud. Another child is dead!

Old 07-05-2016, 11:25 AM

The sad truth is a guy like this who takes his juvenile son to gun range and kills him may not get any punishment while a father who slaps a son will get child abuse case.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:31 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
The sad truth is a guy like this who takes his juvenile son to gun range and kills him may not get any punishment while a father who slaps a son will get child abuse case.
But the difference would be one is intentional, and one is unintentional... an accident. Not quite the same thing in legal terms. Punishing every unintentional accident other than negligence would require more prisons than we could afford to build.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
But the difference would be one is intentional, and one is unintentional... an accident. Not quite the same thing in legal terms. Punishing every unintentional accident other than negligence would require more prisons than we could afford to build.
Regardless, someone's dead and there should be accountability.
You can get away with killing people just because you didn't want to kill them and it was an accident.
They are dead because of their bad luck. They came in front of my bullet so I don't need to get any punishment.

That guy should go to jail for long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events