U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 05:31 PM

30,405 posts, read 9,086,867 times

Advertisements

Gawd, I hope Cuomo doesn't see this. It's only been a year since he's allowed New Yorkers (thank you, Massa Cuomo) to purchase sparklers here, though only for specified days around January 1 and July 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 06:20 PM

4,598 posts, read 3,748,511 times
This is what 30 sparklers does...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mVODghTwXQ

Sorry, but at 15 Rowdy (the victim's name) should have known better than to light 180 sparklers without a really long wick.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:33 PM

759 posts, read 378,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
This is what 30 sparklers does...

Sorry, but at 15 Rowdy (the victim's name) should have known better than to light 180 sparklers without a really long wick.

Like I said... no sympathy for these idiots. If you play with fire... eventually you will get burnt.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:06 PM

4,077 posts, read 4,048,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I posted this on another thread and I'll post it again here.

I'm not a fan of the individual use of fireworks. I prefer the public displays. Every year this sort of thing happens, or someone dies or their house burns down, etc. The pets suffer. My dog is terrified. He'd run away if we didn't help him through the ordeal and keep an eye on him. So many people lose their pets permanently. It's not worth it.

I looked at that picture of the kid on his GoFundMe page. My heart breaks for him.
I'm not a fan either. Many toys have been banned because of injuries or potential injuries, but somehow fireworks remain legal and just keep on maiming.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Exactly.

But, ya know, your peaceful enjoyment of your property doesn't matter when people are "expressing their freedom"!
In our neighborhood's online message board, someone actually suggested that people who were bothered by the noise of fireworks in the neighborhood should go to a hotel!! Right. A hotel for 4 nights? (since fireworks were going off here Fri, Sat, Sun, and Mon). BTW, our HOA covenants prohibit fireworks, but nothing comes between Texans and their right to be jackazzes.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
In our neighborhood's online message board, someone actually suggested that people who were bothered by the noise of fireworks in the neighborhood should go to a hotel!! Right. A hotel for 4 nights? (since fireworks were going off here Fri, Sat, Sun, and Mon). BTW, our HOA covenants prohibit fireworks, but nothing comes between Texans and their right to be jackazzes.
Which is exactly why I have no pity for these people... I got little sleep last night because of the bombs going off all over my neighborhood...

... feel free to continue buying the fireworks and celebrating your freedom... just don't expect a pity party from me when you end up losing a hand... your eyesight... or end up dead.

What did that 15 year old kid do? Set off 180 sparklers? Yeah, that was really intelligent. So he lost a leg and is most likely going to lose his sight?

I gotta ask him... was it worth it?

Old 07-05-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
I have been there and have done that. I never "won" the contest however.

And how many times a year are fireworks either legal or officially tolerated? My guess is that you get to enjoy your property in peace, free from fire works, 99.7% of the time. I also wish my neighbors acted and thought like me 100% of the time. I, know, however, that this is not likely to happen.
It was 4 solid nights of noise here, and again at New Years (2 to 4 nights depending on when the holiday falls).

There are so many reasons why disturbing someone's sleep is not cool. Maybe your neighbor is a surgeon who darn well better be well-rested before showing up for work, or a veteran with PTSD triggered by the sound of fireworks, or maybe he's currently fighting cancer (as my hub is) and needs every bit of rest he can, or maybe it's a newborn who just spent several days in ICU and just came home (as my neighbor's baby did) and has a hard enough time sleeping due to pain. Or maybe your neighbor has a dog who trembles for hours due to the noise of fireworks.

As far as I'm concerned, I NEVER have the right to intrude on my neighbor's sleep. I am even conscientious about neighbors who work odd hours and need to sleep during the day.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
It was 4 solid nights of noise here, and again at New Years (2 to 4 nights depending on when the holiday falls).

There are so many reasons why disturbing someone's sleep is not cool. Maybe your neighbor is a surgeon who darn well better be well-rested before showing up for work, or a veteran with PTSD triggered by the sound of fireworks, or maybe he's currently fighting cancer (as my hub is) and needs every bit of rest he can, or maybe it's a newborn who just spent several days in ICU and just came home (as my neighbor's baby did) and has a hard enough time sleeping due to pain. Or maybe your neighbor has a dog who trembles for hours due to the noise of fireworks.

As far as I'm concerned, I NEVER have the right to intrude on my neighbor's sleep. I am even conscientious about neighbors who work odd hours and need to sleep during the day.
Good post... I completely agree.

The bombs going off around here were enough to **** anyone off... and I didn't get much sleep last night... but I planned ahead for it... taking the day off today.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:36 PM

11,019 posts, read 6,570,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Literally, it is like living in a war zone. Completely and utterly unnecessary.
I'm sure people living in actual war zones would trade places with you in a second. Really? 3-4 nights of fireworks and you want to act like you're living in Baghdad.

Quote:
And each one of those people were shocked and surprised that fireworks were being set off for the Fourth of July? It happens every year. If it is really that disruptive to your life, then yeah get a hotel room, use a noise machine or buy some earplugs.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:56 PM

9,285 posts, read 16,124,531 times
I am in an unincorporated area of the county I live in, and the fireworks stands go up 2 weeks before the 4th (and New Years Day) and stay up for 2 weeks past the 4th (and New Years Day)....

this was recorded just sitting on my deck for a few minutes last night:

https://www.facebook.com/latetothepa...7893491788438/

and these pictures were taken at the entry to my subdivision LAST 4th of July.....

MURICA!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events