Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 05:57 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I feel horrible for the boy, wasn't his fault at all yet he's the one who got severely burned.
Wasn't his fault?! Did someone force him to tape together that many sparklers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 06:43 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Firecrackers doesn't blind people, people blind people. We need to know how to make bombs, otherwise the government could make a coup and seize powers. It's also our constitutional right to shoot fireworks off our arses, and constitutions can't obviously be changed. Additionally, criminals will always have access to fireworks, so banning them won't help. Ok, ok, Switzerland has a lot of fireworks at home, but you don't see them blowing their fingers off regularly, so it's not the gunpowder per se.

This is not a troll post, it is only to demonstrate the surreal attitude some have. WT kid blows his eyes off -> BAN FIREWORKS! Mass shootings and cops kill 2 persons a day -> WE NEED MORE GUNS!

Old 07-06-2016, 06:49 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It's one thing to be a 15-year-old idiot (but I repeat myself).

It's another thing to be a 46-year-old moron.

Western Michigan Man Dies After Homemade Cannon Explodes « CBS Detroit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Wasn't his fault?! Did someone force him to tape together that many sparklers?
Sorry, I got the 2 stories combined and thought it was made by the 46 yr old and the kid was a bystander

Old 07-06-2016, 07:38 PM

389 posts, read 330,232 times
Ever notice how people firing rockets never point them in the direction of their own house. Always toward someone else's.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms12345 View Post
Ever notice how people firing rockets never point them in the direction of their own house. Always toward someone else's.
Pretty sure they point them towards the sky.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
nobody is shocked that people like you want to set off chain reaction fireworks for 5 consecutive hours after 7pm for 2-4 consecutive days around the 4th and New Year's even though those evenings fall on work/school nights.
Wait, where do you live that July 4th and New Year's Eve are school nights?

Old 07-07-2016, 04:13 AM

884 posts, read 1,171,856 times
Our company holiday was july 4th, so people were expected to report to work at their regular time on the 5th. Nobody really set anything off late in my neighborhood but if you have to be at work at 7am and you're being kept awake past midnight because of loud fireworks (not the little firecrackers) that's not cool. I'd imagine that's the case at most companies in the US. New years day is our holiday rather than new years eve, but there are occupations that have to report to work on both days anyway.

I think there is a big difference between having people over for a few hours and lighting some firecrackers and shooting them off for apparently 6-7 hours and going past midnight. In my childhood neighborhood the firework shooting started in mid June and continued through the end of July 4th week. It went on for hours, every night. You just sort of learned to tune it out so you could sleep. I do think it's self absorbed to think that's okay and your neighbors should have to put up with it.

I saw that story about the woman who's house burned down because of some stupid kid setting off fireworks. Luckily the neighbors rescued her pets. If someone in my neighborhood burned down my house with my dogs inside while I wasn't home because they HAAAAD to set off fireworks, there would be hell to pay. I'm serious. They would regret being born. They would certainly never set off another firework again. I don't care if that makes me sound crazy, either. It's not okay to endanger your neighbor's property so you can "celebrate your freedom". I guess you're safer in a hotel if that's how it's gonna be though.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:16 AM

884 posts, read 1,171,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
What does not being "shocked and surprised" have to do with it? Are you really so self-absorbed that you believe any of your neighbors who truly need sleep should pay for four friggin nights in a hotel, and if they have pets, pay boarding fees as well?! That seems reasonable to you? All of this despite the fact that the fireworks are illegal or violate HOA covenants to begin with?

Is there any other scenario in which your neighbors' noise driving you out of your home for four nights in a row would be acceptable to YOU?

You can't even be serious.
Typical attitude for today though. I should be able to do whatever I want, whenever I want, and ********* if you have a problem with it.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:49 AM

8,381 posts, read 4,365,088 times
Just goes to show that fireworks, any kind of fire works, even sparklers, are explosives and if handled improperly can result in serious injury or death. Children are ignorant and many adults are stupid. Put the two together and this is what you get.

Some people will say 'ban sparklers' but if you ban everything in life that can hurt you you may as well go live in a padded room and eat jello the rest of your life.

Parents are supposed to protect their children but you can't keep people from being stupid and its time we quit trying.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:54 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Got news for you. Fireworks are illegal in NJ and every 4th I still hear people setting them off. Making them illegal will not make your neighborhood quiet.
I moved to Arizona shortly before the 4th of July. Fireworks is legal here during that time.

Interestingly, my neighborhood was extremely quiet. I've lived in New York and California and was woken up by a ton of fireworks days, sometimes weeks before and after July 4.

Not here though. I heard a few fireworks early Monday night, but that was about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events