Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 04:10 PM

54 posts, read 67,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I couldn't care less what other people wear.

But then, I'm not a self-absorbed control-freak who can't handle the fact that the world doesn't revolve around me.
That sounds like you are a control-freak to the extent that you don't want people whose opinions differ from yours to pass legislation in opposition to what you deem appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 09:29 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,135 times
Timmonsville is a dumpster fire. I have friends who live in the Florence area where Timmonsville is located nearby. To put it mildly the criminals in the Florence area are scared to go into Timmonsville during the day time. It is a ROUGH place. No amount of social behavior engineering will save that train wreck. Trust me.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:01 AM

531 posts, read 384,427 times
I hope they have a similar ban on revealing clothes for women.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:01 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
Well, with all these major issues going on in America and across the world...

Good to know that South Carolina is taking a stance on teens sagging their pants. They good people of Timmonsville, SC are taking a stand!

Old 07-11-2016, 07:28 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In.God.I.Trust View Post
I can't see how any small government conservate could ever be in favor of this. Fun fact; urbans and pant sagging actually started in the California prison system, where inmates would wear their sweats below the backside to signify that they were homosexuals and would engage in homosexual activity if propositioned. How it came to be a trend in the pseudo macho world of hip hop and street gangs I'll never know...
That's urban legend bs. The true origin is really much simpler and has to do with gravity. Baggy styles came into vogue, and baggy clothes tens to sag, which created a look.

Old people hate the look, because old people hate being old. Legislatures are mostly busybody old people, and there again, gravity, and we have stupid laws being passed.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:04 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
I doubt most of the people who wear saggy pants are even mildly aware of the basic principles of gravity. It's not just old people against it. People have been removed from airlines, the Olympics, and especially from court for appearing in sagging pants. The list goes on and on. Hell there was even a pseudo-hit song about it. Even Obama made a public statement about how it is offensive, but he also said that a law would be going too far. People hate the look because it typically is a good barometer for intelligence and critical reasoning, or lack of. But yeah an ordinance may be too far, unless it is part of a broader plan for a community reeling with problems. That I don't know.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:09 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Nobody remembers the black leather motorcycle jackets and swastikas etc - and all of us had a knife- (west side story type) old people amaze me- and I'm old- but I remember being young and crazy and having fun- leave people alone!!

Old 07-11-2016, 12:17 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
there are not too many jobs where you can have sagging pants and expose your underwear and keep the job.

we have laws against public nudity. this is basically the same thing.

the city leaders of Timmonsville are most likely black Democrats given the city is 80 percent black people. the small government hypocrisy observation that i see upthread doesn't make sense if true.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:53 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
there are not too many jobs where you can have sagging pants and expose your underwear and keep the job.

we have laws against public nudity. this is basically the same thing.

the city leaders of Timmonsville are most likely black Democrats given the city is 80 percent black people. the small government hypocrisy observation that i see upthread doesn't make sense if true.
Thank goodness laws don't reside on "basically the same thing". Exposing your underwear is NOT public nudity.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:37 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
I thought this 'trend' would have passed a long time ago.

But nope, still going on unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events