U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 04:56 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,853,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Thank goodness laws don't reside on "basically the same thing". Exposing your underwear is NOT public nudity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
don't think majority of americans agree with you. the majority of americans get to decide issues like this.
Then the majority of Americans (assuming you're correct - which I do only for the sake of this discussion) fail to comprehend the definition of the word 'nudity'.

And here's a clue - 'nudity' doesn't mean 'underwear is showing'. The word 'nudity' is akin to 'nakedness'. Do you know what that means?

PS -
No, the definitions of words aren't dependent on majority ignorance. The words mean what the words mean regardless of how many people are clueless as to their meaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 04:43 PM

19,038 posts, read 8,938,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Already taken care of, I don't. If an older person is friendly, youthful, humorous, vital, vibrant, and fun, like a young person, and like me, I will accept them as a client. If they are old and cranky and irrational and crotchety and bitter and whiny and disconnected from reality, then, no, they don't get to work with me. I am quite particular in that regard.
You should put that on your website, instead of anonymously on the internet.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:44 PM

19,038 posts, read 8,938,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I see you are color obsessed. No black plumbers or black girls showing cleavage???
Haven't I seen you in many of the race-related threads?

Old 07-14-2016, 07:03 PM

6,104 posts, read 3,228,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Then the majority of Americans (assuming you're correct - which I do only for the sake of this discussion) fail to comprehend the definition of the word 'nudity'.

And here's a clue - 'nudity' doesn't mean 'underwear is showing'. The word 'nudity' is akin to 'nakedness'. Do you know what that means?

PS -
No, the definitions of words aren't dependent on majority ignorance. The words mean what the words mean regardless of how many people are clueless as to their meaning.
thanks for the lesson, professor. i'll pass on your free class tho.

you have inconsistent logic though.

if political reps can decide to ban nudity, why can't they ban sagging pants that expose underwear.

if a majority of voters hate the ban on saggy pants, then they will be able to vote against the reps who put the ban into effect in their next election.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:08 PM

6,104 posts, read 3,228,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
No the majority can kiss my azz. THAT'S the beauty of America, we don't accept majority edict. The meaning of America is protection of individual rights against the tyranny of the majority. That's why we're different, and better, than the rest of the world. The majority be damned.

Nudity is nakedness and skin. Underwear is cotton and is clothing and covers nudity. That is logic and reality. If you don't like that, don't show your underwear, dress how you like, and look in another direction if you see a fashion that disagrees with you. That is the limit of your power and the power of the majority. You may look away, you may not change others.
so why do we have all these laws that a large percentage of Americans opposed? for example, the healthcare insurance mandate was opposed by a lot of voters but they can't just opt out, they have to pay a big fine to do so.

minority rights are used in some instances, but not most. there would be no point in holding elections if majority opinion was irrelevant.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:47 PM

7,416 posts, read 7,388,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
so why do we have all these laws that a large percentage of Americans opposed? for example, the healthcare insurance mandate was opposed by a lot of voters but they can't just opt out, they have to pay a big fine to do so.

minority rights are used in some instances, but not most. there would be no point in holding elections if majority opinion was irrelevant.

Because we've gotten so far from the shore that we can no longer see land, and in fact don't even remember what it looks like. We have traded our freedom for collectivized solutions that solve no problems and trample on everyone's rights. I speak about what should be, not what is. What is, sucks, and is turning us into another bastardized version of the Euro Trash Republics.

We need to get back to freedom, individual rights, and individual responsibility and accountability, instead of the weak, politically correct, philosophical eunuchs that we have become. Hopefully before it's too late, although in view of the impending election of the Vapid Biddy, it is probably already too late.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:50 PM

7,416 posts, read 7,388,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You should put that on your website, instead of anonymously on the internet.
Anonymously? I am the only one with spheres on this entire forum. I post my views using my real name and damn the world if it doesn't like it, or me. Who are you in real life? You are the one hiding in anonymity. Change your handle to your real name and defend your views like a man, or a woman.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:15 PM

4,554 posts, read 2,037,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
Baggy pants are just one aspect of cultural migration between classes in the US that have been happening for decades. White suburban teenagers made millionaires out a lot hip hop and rap artists. Black gang and prison culture has been glamorized from the 80's to present.

America has a history of embracing the outlaw, from the train robbing gangs to Al Capone to John Gotti, to Freeway Rick Ross.
That is what made baggy pants and other prison garb inspired clothing and footwear popular, its all about projecting an image. (a silly one if you ask me, but I don't set the trends)

Even though they might look like gangsters to some, the baggy pants wearers may be just some middle class kids from Maryland who are dressing the way most of their friends do.

Making wearing bagging pants a crime makes me wonder what problems were happening in town that were related to saggy britches.

This is nothing more than an attempt to discourage a certain element from their lovely town. A city has the right to govern as it sees fit, but this seems like a bad move.
(Bold) Absolutely. Billy the Kid is practically idolized out here in New Mexico.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:23 PM

4,554 posts, read 2,037,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc paolella View Post
that's urban legend bs. The true origin is really much simpler and has to do with gravity. Baggy styles came into vogue, and baggy clothes tens to sag, which created a look.

Old people hate the look, because old people hate being old. Legislatures are mostly busybody old people, and there again, gravity, and we have stupid laws being passed.
lol.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:55 PM

8,520 posts, read 4,754,712 times
I don't agree with this one bit. The government is trying to stop free expression..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or