U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 11:50 PM

1,471 posts, read 957,253 times

Advertisements

Where do we stop?

I don't want to see people wearing their pants/shorts below their ass, much in the same way:

I don't want to see the bra straps and/or underwear of today's underage girls, whose parents frequently permit them to dress like the sort of hookers you'd see on COPS.

I don't want to see the enormous rolls of fat I commonly observe dripping from from the armpits of sleeveless tops or from under the sides of shirts, replete with bulging veins that more closely resemble swollen purple earthworms.

I don't want to see people in muscle shirts who look like living carpets to the extent that Cousin It would turn green with envy.

I don't want to see mouths lined with brass, silver, gold, or platinum; this isn't a tryout for the role of Jaws from the 007 movie.

I don't want to see cracks bursting out of pants/shorts when I'm in public establishments, particularly those in which food is either purchased to take home or cooked for immediate serving. Crack kills... my appetite.

I don't want to be able to smell you, be it body odor or commercial fragrance, if we're not within the sort of proximity that would otherwise entail either romantic affection or sports-related recreation.

I do not want you to serve me food while wearing so much makeup that it appears as though your face is melting away from your skull whenever you approach my candlelit table. Along the same lines, please do not wear so much hairspray that I fear prolonged exposure to light from any source may cause you to spontaneously combust like a human tiki torch.

In all seriousness, however, I will not, under any circumstances, support any law that grants the government and its agents the official role of fashion police. The mere thought has 'totalitarian overreach' written all over it. Restrict nudity as needed and ban sexual acts in public. Nothing more. In all other social instances, get over it; somebody's just made it easier for you to decide whether or not you want to associate with them in the future. Insofar as hiring is concerned, use common sense.

See? That was easy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 12:57 AM

3,720 posts, read 4,459,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
This offense does NOT carry the possibility of incarceration, so please tell me, how does a verbal warning and a fine of up to $600 make it "impossible to hold REAL violent criminals in prison long term"?
What happens when you don't pay the fines?

Old 07-07-2016, 02:13 AM

11,450 posts, read 6,533,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
What happens when you don't pay the fines?
What happens to people that can't pay their parking tickets?

Old 07-07-2016, 02:14 AM

9,693 posts, read 5,355,479 times
I see we have a lot of freedom hating people lurking in the forums. Do I like sagging? No way in hell. But passing an ordinance to ban it (doubt it would be upheld) is plain ridiculous.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:02 AM

12,775 posts, read 7,447,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHaller73 View Post
common sense. because it exposes the guy's underwear.
Why aren't they going after women who allow their bra straps to be exposed?

Bras are also underwear.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:44 AM

12,319 posts, read 8,205,583 times
My ex-wife was from there. Florence, SC is just right up the road I'm surprised that they didn't pass the law there too. Timmonsville is a crap hole of a town last time I was there they had just got a Subway.
I can't remember the population count right off nor do I care to look it up.

A friend of mine & myself were talking about this & he asked if I thought it had more to do with race then anything else. In Timmonsville there are whites who do this as well so I don't think this is about race when there seems to be more blacks in the town then whites. We'll at the time's I was there.

I don't believe in telling people how to dress either but at the same time no one wants to see someone's arse hanging out either.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:50 AM

34,011 posts, read 32,555,101 times
I have said this for years. The remedy for sagging pants is quite simple. Make them for old people, too, and the kids will drop the fashion. I even have a name for them: Grey Fox Jeans.

...Of course, for some old people that will also involve REALLY LONG suspenders.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:54 AM

4,366 posts, read 1,510,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
My ex-wife was from there. Florence, SC is just right up the road I'm surprised that they didn't pass the law there too. Timmonsville is a crap hole of a town last time I was there they had just got a Subway.
I can't remember the population count right off nor do I care to look it up.

A friend of mine & myself were talking about this & he asked if I thought it had more to do with race then anything else. In Timmonsville there are whites who do this as well so I don't think this is about race when there seems to be more blacks in the town then whites. We'll at the time's I was there.

I don't believe in telling people how to dress either but at the same time no one wants to see someone's arse hanging out either.

than*

that area is part of the black belt, so it is reasonable to expect more blacks to be present than whites.

Most small towns in SC east of I77. are crap holes, especially as you get east of I95.
you will ride thru the downtown of a small town to find it boarded up and abandoned.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:33 AM

7,465 posts, read 7,426,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHaller73 View Post
right, so we don't draw a line somewhere. next thing, we'll all be walking naked.
As long as underwear is on, there is NO NUDITY. Underwear is just another form of cotton or nylon of a different color, and as long as it covers the butt crack, it should not matter how low you wear your pants. And it is not the business of government to intervene.

However, furthermore, if someone wants to walk around nude, he should be allowed to do so. It is not a legitimate role of government to regulate dress, or undress, of any free citizen. Peer pressure will regulate dress codes. Anyone who doesn't like the state of dress of another is free to look in another direction.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:42 AM

1,168 posts, read 687,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Government shouldn't tell you how to dress. A slippery slope. Sounds like something a big government liberal would be for. Certainly not a small government conservative.
Most Conservatives are far from small government. They love the rules especially the morality and control based laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or