Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 08:41 PM

11,248 posts, read 11,022,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Wrong words and tone here, some very bright kids from middle class families have the same problem with the sagging pants. Lets not put people down here, it's not about that. Some of these kids have hard working good parents who tell them the right things to do. They just can't be with them 24/7 when they have to work or the kids are at school. Many of them grow out of that phase, they understand in small southern towns, that people prefer them to have the pants up if they want a job.
I won't disagree with you here. The one's that choose to move past this phase (usually somewhere in the middle of high school) generally tend to make something of themselves. They have positive role models and parents who find time for them.

The one's that don't tend to fall into the groups who turn to activities that are not productive (we all know what this includes). Count the homes with no fathers present and so on...

What I do know is this. For those that fall into the second category, rap music is rarely a positive influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 08:57 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I won't disagree with you here. The one's that choose to move past this phase (usually somewhere in the middle of high school) generally tend to make something of themselves. They have positive role models and parents who find time for them.

The one's that don't tend to fall into the groups who turn to activities that are not productive (we all know what this includes). Count the homes with no fathers present and so on...

What I do know is this. For those that fall into the second category, rap music is rarely a positive influence.
But, you can't always judge people by the music they play either. You would be surprised how many professional people listen to rap music. The children can't help or control their fathers not being around. Not everybody will be saved, nothing is 100% except death.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:53 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
lets criminalize more non violent people making it impossible to hold REAL violent criminals in prison long term.

so much for the conservatives wanting LESS government intrusion into citizens lives
Reading comprehension really is important, folks. The quoted article stated that those found guilty are subject to warnings and possible fines. NO MENTION OF JAIL TIME!!

Pay attention liberals. It's not that hard once you get pass your basic intellectual dishonesty.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:31 PM

876 posts, read 813,124 times
Default The origin of sagging, baggy pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
They're just trying to keep trash out of their town (regardless of color)...... Can't blame them. No successful person I've ever met dresses like that (unless their employment position dictates that they act and dress in a way that relates to the lower class for one reason or another).
Baggy pants are just one aspect of cultural migration between classes in the US that have been happening for decades. White suburban teenagers made millionaires out a lot hip hop and rap artists. Black gang and prison culture has been glamorized from the 80's to present.

America has a history of embracing the outlaw, from the train robbing gangs to Al Capone to John Gotti, to Freeway Rick Ross.
That is what made baggy pants and other prison garb inspired clothing and footwear popular, its all about projecting an image. (a silly one if you ask me, but I don't set the trends)

Even though they might look like gangsters to some, the baggy pants wearers may be just some middle class kids from Maryland who are dressing the way most of their friends do.

Making wearing bagging pants a crime makes me wonder what problems were happening in town that were related to saggy britches.

This is nothing more than an attempt to discourage a certain element from their lovely town. A city has the right to govern as it sees fit, but this seems like a bad move.

Last edited by A1eutian; 07-09-2016 at 11:42 PM..

Old 07-10-2016, 02:45 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,744,531 times
A fashion statement by young people surely doesnt always mean crime.. some of the biggest criminals were very well dressed it seems.. Top 10 Best Dressed Mobsters of All Time - ust wonder if this town would have picked on any of these..

Old 07-10-2016, 09:01 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,259 times
Just another reason to provoke confrontations with inner city youth.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:08 AM

56 posts, read 46,941 times
Sagging pants went out in the 90's. Now it's all about skinny jeans on guys. South Carolina is clearly not up-to date with the current trends

Old 07-10-2016, 09:14 AM

391 posts, read 290,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Just another reason to provoke confrontations with inner city youth.
It is not just them... if you say nothing then they think it is okay.

My last job we had a guy transfer in... his first couple of days were okay. Then he started wearing his suit pants hanging down and jackets that were too big for him. He made great money so he had enough that he was not receiving hand me downs. Plus, he was single and well traveled (came in from out of state), originally from DC.

But hell, his suits hung down so far, you could tell they were intentionally purchased like that.

Big issues were he represented the office since he dealt with the public and his work production was poor. An AA lady asked me if I thought "he looked or acted high". I laughed since I thought he was trying really hard to be "cool". The tat on his neck did not help with all of this... and the braided hair. If he had satisfactory work production, none of this would have been an issue though.... no one would have cared.

Provocation or society saying we are tired of seeing your damn underwear?

Personally I always thought it made people look stupid (and I've seen black/white/Hispanic/Asian do this... they all looked stupid to me).

Old 07-10-2016, 09:46 AM

3,327 posts, read 2,136,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat View Post
It is not just them... if you say nothing then they think it is okay.

My last job we had a guy transfer in... his first couple of days were okay. Then he started wearing his suit pants hanging down and jackets that were too big for him. He made great money so he had enough that he was not receiving hand me downs. Plus, he was single and well traveled (came in from out of state), originally from DC.

But hell, his suits hung down so far, you could tell they were intentionally purchased like that.

Big issues were he represented the office since he dealt with the public and his work production was poor. An AA lady asked me if I thought "he looked or acted high". I laughed since I thought he was trying really hard to be "cool". The tat on his neck did not help with all of this... and the braided hair. If he had satisfactory work production, none of this would have been an issue though.... no one would have cared.
Have you considered that the final point that I made bold and underlined may have something to do with the first point that I made bold in your post: That is to say, do you believe the average employer would keep somebody around who possessed the other qualities and behaviors that I made bold in your post, if they were only an entry-level employee and expressed such qualities and behaviors within the first week of acquiring the job?

If the answer is no, does that not merit the follow-up query that suggests there exists a vast and progressive separation of rules by which folks of varying classes are expected to both follow and ignore? If so, it would additionally lend credence to the idea that wealth transcends otherwise common morality and prejudice. That would certainly mirror what we see within our own society here in the United States.

In any case, just something to ponder on. I think it's an interesting reflection upon power; particularly that once it's obtained, you've arrived at the Hotel California: "You can check-out any time you like, but you can never leave." And that makes sense, because, at that point who would want to (check-out)?

Old 07-10-2016, 10:16 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
At some point the challenge will come from bathing suits. What's the difference between a bra and a bikini top? What about men's swimming briefs/trunks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events