U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 07:33 PM

891 posts, read 465,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Self-defense for the lions.
"Preemptive ambush"

Basically nature's equivalent of a drone strike.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:34 PM

13,470 posts, read 14,467,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Not to worry. You can still celebrate every time a deer hunter falls from a tree stand. Death or paralysis, it's all the same. Karma.
What did you do to arrive at THAT comparison?

There's poaching (illegal) and deer hunting (legal).

Think it out.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:14 AM

9,693 posts, read 5,293,719 times
If true, great. But I'm going to need some more trustworthy sources before believing!

Old 07-10-2016, 04:16 AM

8,667 posts, read 2,930,592 times
Good for the Lions.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:51 AM

17,497 posts, read 10,137,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
2 Peter 2:12 But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;

What does God's word say about natural brute beasts?
I think He was talking about gangs.......pretty sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
deer hunting is not illegal in many states with the proper permit and time of year. people eat deer meat. or maybe you never heard of venison.

poaching is illegal. learn the difference
I could not have said it better! Strange for anyone to compare hunting for food, to poaching!

Old 07-10-2016, 10:59 AM

11,401 posts, read 6,809,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
My initial reaction is Go Lions! But then I thought, what would cause these men to get roped into poaching. Were they family men trying to feed their families with the money they earned (emphasis added), or did they have criminal minds just wanting to make a buck irregardless of the all the negative consequences. There is definitely an underlying reason but in the end, I say Go Lions! And I hope this will dissuade others from poaching.
Agreed -- completely! But you will have to work very hard to explain that point to an audience raised with the comforts of a mature fully-industrialized society, and spoon-fed a "Disney Mentality" by the lowest-common-denominator media.

The fictional poachers in this story do have real-life parallels (and they are, sadly, only a generation or two removed from a primitive hunter/gatherer existence). And when a society at the low end of the socio-economic scale emerges and develops, as is currently going on in the Third World, it begins by taking on the simplest, lowest-paying, and most-regimented tasks.

That is precisely why the clothing industry is "farmed out" to places like Central America, Indonesia, and the Asian sub-continent (and the same product is then sent back to the first world -- covered with a "trendy" label and sold at an inflated price to the impressionable; often the same people who throw a pittance or two to social causes of which they approve.

"We have met the enemy, and he is us." (Walt Kelly -- creator of the comic strip Pogo, on the occasion of the first Earth Day)

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-10-2016 at 11:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events