Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 09:09 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,875,513 times

Advertisements

I agree that it's a bit inappropriate to be playing at somber museums and memorials but I place the blame on the developers who allowed Pokemon to "appear" in those locations.

Even without Pokemon Go people are frequently smiling, laughing, and taking happy selfies, group and individually, in front of the 9/11 Memorial so really...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 09:11 AM

Haha, I follow Jersey Shore Hurricane News on Facebook and they shared a message from the Beachwood, NJ police department stating cops have seen people walk straight into sign posts and the road playing Pokemon Go, so try to be more alert. Made me giggle to imagine a bunch of idiots walking straight into signs and stumbling off curbs.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:16 AM

4,287 posts, read 7,984,138 times
I'm 28 years old & a full-fledged member of the Pokémon generation. Y'all who aren't into Pokémon don't get how groundbreaking this is for us fans. We previously caught 'em all on a flat screen with a couple of colors, directing a character to catch 'em. And now that we have smartphones with the necessary processing power we can do it OURSELVES....in the REAL WORLD?!

This is as close as you can get to Pokémon in real life without cloning them & genetically engineering them, for Pete's sakes. It's simply amazing.

Just because one calls it a "fad" & doesn't "get it"....that's not my problem at all. And you think people are completely ignoring everything else that's going on around them? The people at Disney, for example, you don't think they were going on rides & snapping pics with Mickey & Minnie instead of Charizard?

I am tired. My legs are sore. Why? Because my little brother & sister and I walked/ran like crazy at the local park catching Pokèmon. That's exercise we wouldn't have gotten otherwise. And we went on TUESDAY, not yesterday!

You're right, it's inappropriate at memorial sites & it's good of the game developers to prevent Pokémon from appearing there. But other places should be fair game. The benefits far outweigh the negatives.

Last edited by Soviet; 07-14-2016 at 09:41 AM..

Old 07-14-2016, 10:16 AM

4,960 posts, read 5,208,522 times
I see it differently. Going to a museum like the Holocaust Museum may be a once in a life time activity. I'd prefer my children look around and learn something. Sometimes you get that one kid who is sick of it all and doesn't want to participate. The Pokemon game could get them to go and not be a fuss bucket for the rest of the family. I know when we took a vacation to the Washington DC area, we had to take a day off to refocus and reenergize so drove over to the Beach in Delaware instead. My kids had been good all week.

As far as taking selfies in front of memorials. I'm not sure I see a problem with it. I'm neutral. Most of us are going to take a picture as a souvenir. I don't think you have to take a 'sad face' photo. It may be a 'solemn place', but some of these places are set up to bring a picnic and hang out a little while. Usually you do that with family or friends so it's not going to be quiet.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:26 AM

10,645 posts, read 15,910,207 times
I'm 26 and i play Pokemon Go.
50% of the people playing in my city are in their 20's,
30% in their 10's,
15% in their 30's,
5% in their 40's.

Haven't seen anyone younger than 10 or older than 50 playing the game.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
As far as taking selfies in front of memorials. I'm not sure I see a problem with it. I'm neutral. Most of us are going to take a picture as a souvenir. I don't think you have to take a 'sad face' photo. It may be a 'solemn place', but some of these places are set up to bring a picnic and hang out a little while. Usually you do that with family or friends so it's not going to be quiet.
I guess maybe you haven't been to the 9/11 Memorial then and seen the blatant disrespect and apparent lack of understanding of the gravity of the site that some display. It's literally a gravesite for nearly 3000 people. So many people were never found, not even a single bone fragment. I know people whose husbands and dads were never found. Went to work and disappeared. Disintegrated.

I don't necessarily have an issue with pictures even selfies, but it's the behavior some exhibit while they're doing it. As if they're in a park, so carefree and clueless and happy. I'm fine with documenting the moment but there's a way to do it. I'm not saying you should walk around the Memorial crying the whole time, but I wouldn't be laughing in a group of fellow tourists and taking upbeat group photos with the reflecting pool as my backdrop, as if I was at the beach with friends, posing and giving my friends bunny ears. I don't know, I guess for me being where I'm from with New York being my city I just find it exceptionally disrespectful. Some people just don't get it, and never will. Maybe they never can.

The 9/11 Memorial and others and other somber museums for terrible events isn't the Statue of Liberty or Central Park. There's a time and a place for the happy go lucky touristy behavior. Put the camera down for a second and really reflect on what happened there. Save the happy selfies and endless laughing in your own little bubble for another site. I worked near the Memorial for almost a year and walked by it every time on my way in. And "by it" means on the sidewalk right next to it, so I was basically right there, on the West Side Highway/West Street for anyone who knows the area at all, at Liberty Street. So I always, I mean always, saw blatant disrespect and overly happy idiot tourists who clearly just didn't get it. There's a way to act at a place like that.

It would be like me taking happy selfies and laughing with my friends at Auschwitz. I don't have any personal connection to the Holocaust or the site, so why not? Except I'm not like that. I understand what happened there and I respect it, I walk around quietly and reflectively and I am somber because I know what I'm walking on and why I am there. I'm not playing Pokemon Go like some idiot who hasn't a clue of the gravity of the site. I guess I just take this stuff kind of seriously.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:38 AM

585 posts, read 488,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I'm 26 and i play Pokemon Go.
50% of the people playing in my city are in their 20's,
30% in their 10's,
15% in their 30's,
5% in their 40's.

Haven't seen anyone younger than 10 or older than 50 playing the game.
I'm 49 and my son is 8 and we were playing...

Old 07-14-2016, 10:44 AM

77,676 posts, read 59,823,491 times
This has nothing to do with Pokemon go.

Many sel absorbed cell phone addicts will text, check Facebook or pop selfies at horrendously inappropriate places and events.

They've got social problems.

As for Pokemon go I think it's good for getting young people out and active.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:46 AM

32,477 posts, read 47,394,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Oh, for goodness sake, the kids are out having fun! .........
So, you don't understand that Auschwitz is not the appropriate location to go and have fun?

Old 07-14-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This has nothing to do with Pokemon go.

Many sel absorbed cell phone addicts will text, check Facebook or pop selfies at horrendously inappropriate places and events.

They've got social problems.

As for Pokemon go I think it's good for getting young people out and active.
Yup, that's exactly my point. But I do think the game developers should have been smart enough to not put Pokemon in these places. I also think they shouldn't put them on private property, like people's houses. Some homes are becoming like tourist attractions because there's a Pokemon in the landscaping. I wouldn't be too thrilled with people coming onto my property all day every day to catch a charmander.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events