Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 02:43 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,938,426 times

Advertisements

There is a reason it's not.

Once it is passed, it will stay that way as a personal choice for a number of years.

Then it will become an standard of care option: If you have disease XYZ, you can have treatment A, treatment B, or you can take this pill and die.

Then, it will become standard of care: If you have disease XYZ, you take this pill and die, no treatment necessary.

Think it is far fetched? Think about it. It is the government -- not the medical community that is allowing it. It is a LAW that seems like a "choice."

Seriously, think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 02:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

Once it is passed, it will stay that way as a personal choice for a number of years.

Then it will become an standard of care option: If you have disease XYZ, you can have treatment A, treatment B, or you can take this pill and die.

Then, it will become standard of care: If you have disease XYZ, you take this pill and die, no treatment necessary.

Think it is far fetched? Think about it. It is the government -- not the medical community that is allowing it. It is a LAW that seems like a "choice."

Do you know anyone who has used this law? That's not the way it works where it's legal.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:50 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,705,870 times
you dont know anyone;s personal situation and whats in their brain and heart, i would never criticize anyone who chose this route, i know personally i wouldn't ever give in no matter what, jimmy v said never ever give up.

my motto is 'that's why you keep fighting'.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:04 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,938,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Do you know anyone who has used this law? That's not the way it works where it's legal.
Right now. Watch it evolve into standard of care. That is my point. It is a stepping stone to standard of care.

Did you know that the new heart guidelines are about what drugs to give people? It doesn't define illness levels, it just says if patient has A,B and C, give him X drug. If he has E,F, and G give him this drug.

This was after years of lowering the BP limits until normal BP was considered hypertension (and in need of drugs). Now, it's not even hypertension its just "give this drug to any patient who has ..."

Standard of care evolves. And while this end of life stuff seems like a gift .... watch it over the years. See where it goes. That's all I'm saying.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:11 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Right now. Watch it evolve into standard of care. That is my point. It is a stepping stone to standard of care.

Did you know that the new heart guidelines are about what drugs to give people? It doesn't define illness levels, it just says if patient has A,B and C, give him X drug. If he has E,F, and G give him this drug.

This was after years of lowering the BP limits until normal BP was considered hypertension (and in need of drugs). Now, it's not even hypertension its just "give this drug to any patient who has ..."

Standard of care evolves. And while this end of life stuff seems like a gift .... watch it over the years. See where it goes. That's all I'm saying.
Fine, this is OT anyway and not the place to discuss it. But looking at other countries who have had this for awhile, so far your hypothesis has not been proven.

Assisted dying: What does the law in different countries say? - BBC News

Old 07-16-2016, 03:15 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
Quote:

This is the same sort of doom-and-gloom that social conservatives issue about every single advance ever proposed.

But, yes, let's think about it. Let's look at the real world and how it operates - compared to how those who cry wolf insist (invariably, wrongly) it will operate if the thing they dislike is allowed.

Democracy?
"The unhinged rabble will be the end of us all!"

Allow women to vote?
"Society will fall apart!"

Desegregate the military?
"Unit cohesion will collapse!"

Allow interracial marriage?
"The white race will be doomed!"

Legalize abortion?
"Next thing you know, it'll be mandatory!"

Same-sex marriage"
"The institution of marriage will fall apart!"

Seriously. This slippery-slope nonsense is just that. It's like saying that lowering the speed limit to 55 mph was inevitably going to lead to a 1 mph speed limit, or that any taxation at all will inevitably lead to confiscation of all earnings. Not only is it not logical, it has demonstrably been shown and over and over that the slippery slope fallacy is called a fallacy for a reason.

Give it up already.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:20 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Ummmm.....I suppose they give her adequate pain relief? Of course, not Vicodin, she might sell it to drug addicts

People with chronic, painful conditions have been cut off from adequate pain relief due to the misuse by others. I recently had an RX for Vicodin denied by a pharmacy, they insisted it was a fraudulent RX. It was from a hospital ER, but because it was 3 am on a Saturday, they figured I was somehow scamming. I told them to call the ER to verify, they said they did, I asked who they spoke with, they said they didn't remember, I said that they were required to document anything involving a controlled substance. I asked for the RX back, they said they had destroyed it, I reminded them a controlled substance is on a triplicate form, they are required by law to keep their copy so it matches with the DEA's copy. I suggested they were keeping the drug themselves and "documenting" it went to me, while denying it to me at the same time. My DH went over and demanded the RX, somehow they found it, we filled it at another pharmacy. BTW, I had a broken lower spine...guess that's not enough to justify such pain relief

I don't know this poor girl's entire story, but I doubt they are granting he adequate pain control and the family doesn't have the resources to fight it. Narcotic pain relievers are so sought after most doctors hesitate to prescribe them for any purpose outside the hospital. I even had a doctor advise me to have a safe in my home----which I do---to store what I get. I also scrape the labels and shred the pharmacy papers, etc. Unfortunately, there are times strong narcotics are indicated, much stronger than Vicodin, but they are rarely prescribed due to the black market involvement, etc. I pray this girl changes her mind! While there's life, there's hope

Old 07-16-2016, 03:48 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
And yet the 17-year-old (2 months away from 18), subject of an earlier thread, is being forced by the state (CT) to undergo chemotherapy?

I see.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:00 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
you dont know anyone;s personal situation and whats in their brain and heart, i would never criticize anyone who chose this route, i know personally i wouldn't ever give in no matter what, jimmy v said never ever give up.

my motto is 'that's why you keep fighting'.
Until you've been chronically critically ill for a period of time or known someone that was up close and personal....I think you'd be lacking in the life experience to know for sure.

I say this because I used to think like you but I've seen enough people worn down and with no quality of life change their minds.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:04 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ummmm.....I suppose they give her adequate pain relief? Of course, not

I don't know this poor girl's entire story, but I doubt they are granting he adequate pain control
You are guessing and projecting.

Not really sure what you hope to accomplish with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events