Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2016, 05:30 AM

10,198 posts, read 6,274,942 times

Advertisements

Puerto Rico rejects insecticide to fight Zika amid protests

I assume this is what is being used in the US. Go look up a picture of what these people spraying are wearing. If it so safe, why are they themselves wearing protective gear? I live in South Florida and have seen them spraying and what they are wearing right in my own backyard.

When my cats had fleas years ago, I could have had my house fogged and everyone would have to leave the premises while it was being done. I got Borax (salt) and swept that into my carpet and furniture. You do know that salt not only dehydrates insects, but their eggs and larvae as well? Nobody got sick. No more fleas.

Puerto Rico is using an herbicide to kill the larvae, not chemicals, or DDT.

My point is that with these chemicals you have be causing OTHER birth defects. If you live in Minnesota are you still going to be worried about mosquitoes in JANUARY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 12:23 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,716,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgo View Post

Does our Congress ever get anything done?
Only if it allows them to de-fund social programs at the same time.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:03 PM

5,062 posts, read 3,676,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgo View Post
Congress had already shot down legislation that would have funded the CDC and NHI to research cure/vaccine for Zika some time prior to their undeserved "recess". Unless significant political pressure exists or the proposal comes from the Right side of the house it is certain to be denied again when they resume session.

Work continues on a vaccine but at the cost of other projects and research being halted to shift funds from those to Zika.

Does our Congress ever get anything done?
Pay raises.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:59 AM

37,029 posts, read 41,087,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
I'm pretty sure that this is just your opinion. What proof do you have that medical doctors in SA weren't screening for infections when they came across a baby with birth defects?
It is impossible to test any baby for all infections. If a baby is suspected to have birth defects related to an infection, he will be tested for infections known to cause the defects seen in that child. Zika was not known to cause birth defects, so children with birth defects were not tested for Zika.

Quote:
They were *not* looking at all of the data. They were *not* looking at other causative factors. The fact is that only a very small percentage of the children with microcephaly screened positive for Zika. How do you explain that?
The experts have reviewed all the available data. What makes you say they have not?

There are other things that can cause microcephaly, obviously. No one thinks Zika is the only cause.

Quote:
There's no doubt in my mind that mosquitoes are a problem. I just don't happen to think that lacing drinking water with Pyriproxyfen, or creating GM-mosquitoes is going to solve the problem. Why don't we work on prevention? How about we bring those people out of poverty and the conditions which contribute to infectious diseases? I guess that would be too simple for the elite to wrap their heads around...
They are working on prevention: a vaccine*. But we could see lots of Zika babies before a vaccine is ready.

Getting rid of mosquitoes and avoidance of mosquito bites is prevention.

Cases are coming from all socioeconomic groups:

Birth defects and the Zika Virus: Infectious Questions 003

"And the reason I say that is a lot… the most recent evidence coming out of case control studies in Brazil, which have looked at women from a variety of areas that are pregnant, that has been infected with Zika virus, have also looked at groups of women from a variety of socio-economic classes to try to assist in teasing out whether this is a Zika effect or socio-economic or regional factors, have demonstrated that congenital defects will happen in all groups regardless of their socio-economic status, or the region of the country that they come from, or whether they come from slums versus more affluent areas. So that certainly points against there being alternate environmental factors."

Unless you are a mosquito larva, pyriproxyfen in drinking water is not going to harm you. Genetically modified mosquitoes cannot harm humans, and they have been effective in reducing mosquito populations.

*http://science.sciencemag.org/conten...cience.aah6157

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/353/6299/529

"5 Aug 2016:

Monkey studies of three different Zika vaccines showed that each one completely protected the animals from a "challenge" with the virus. The data suggest that it should not be difficult to stop Zika virus with a vaccine, and the first human trials of a candidate product began last week."

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 08-07-2016 at 03:36 AM..

Old 08-07-2016, 06:23 AM

Study: Zika Will Burn Itself Out In 3 Years « CBS Miami

That "original" concept of Herd Immunity. So if a woman, or young girl, is infected with Zika years before she wants/decides to get pregnant, she will be immune to another Zika infection when she does become pregnant. Unvaccinated Herd Immunity.

There was one US female Olympic athlete who said something to effect that she has no intention of getting pregnant until sometime in the distant future. "Not worried at all". There was another male athlete who said that he and his wife cannot have children. They adopted all their's. He's not either worried. I know, Suzy, you will now talk about "accidental pregnancies", but if a woman has no intention of having a baby at all, she will just have it anyway?

There is a big discussion now going on how this relates to abortion, which I will not get into, but you can correlate this to Down babies whose rates have gone way down. Why? These pregnant women are choosing not to have them even if they wanted to have a baby. This will not happen with Zika also?

Go look up the "Poison Pill" attachments for the Zika Funding.

You cannot separate the social aspects of this, especially in the US.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Study: Zika Will Burn Itself Out In 3 Years « CBS Miami

That "original" concept of Herd Immunity. So if a woman, or young girl, is infected with Zika years before she wants/decides to get pregnant, she will be immune to another Zika infection when she does become pregnant. Unvaccinated Herd Immunity.

There was one US female Olympic athlete who said something to effect that she has no intention of getting pregnant until sometime in the distant future. "Not worried at all". There was another male athlete who said that he and his wife cannot have children. They adopted all their's. He's not either worried. I know, Suzy, you will now talk about "accidental pregnancies", but if a woman has no intention of having a baby at all, she will just have it anyway?

There is a big discussion now going on how this relates to abortion, which I will not get into, but you can correlate this to Down babies whose rates have gone way down. Why? These pregnant women are choosing not to have them even if they wanted to have a baby. This will not happen with Zika also?

Go look up the "Poison Pill" attachments for the Zika Funding.

You cannot separate the social aspects of this, especially in the US.
Yes, women with Zika may choose to abort. Others will not. I am not sure what your point is. You imply that anyone with a Zika infected pregnancy will just choose to abort. Most women would prefer not to have to make that decision.

From your link:

"The team predicts the next large-scale epidemic is unlikely to come about for at least another ten years but some smaller outbreaks could be possible."

The researchers are not predicting that Zika will disappear, only that this outbreak will eventually get smaller.

Before the vaccine against it, there were cyclic outbreaks of rubella, too, every six to nine years. Since new cohorts of susceptible people will be born continuously, once Zika is in the mosquito population there will be the potential for new epidemics. While the "original" form of herd immunity is happening - which is poor at best - pregnant women will be getting infected and having babies with birth defects.

We still need a vaccine for Zika.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:18 AM

14,377 posts, read 14,203,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
According the World Health Organization there is NO CAUSAL LINK BETWEEN ZIKA AND MICROCEPHALY.

"The link between the mosquito-borne virus and birth defects has not been scientifically proven, WHO Director-General Margaret Chan said in a press conference ..."

So what random scientist said there was a link? How many years was he/she studying the link between the two? What studies were published that prove there IS a link?

None. But let's all panic and be terrified and fear for our lives. Zika has been around for DECADES. There have been hundreds of cases over the years in Florida. So why is everyone freaking out today> Because the news told us to. That is the ONLY reason.
There is a definite causal link between microcephaly and the Zika Virus.

See this article from the New England Journal of Medicine.

*Note. The link works even if the title "error" seems peculiar.

MMS: Error

Old 08-07-2016, 12:43 PM

415 posts, read 604,418 times
Actually all this talk about congress is BS. It was the democrats in Senate that beat down the bill for funding because it didn't include money for free abortions. In addition Zika is pretty uneventful in most people. And as far as pregnancies go, its one;y a "causal" relationship (hence UNPROVEN!.) All this media is to create hype before the new vaccine hits the market to make millions.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/27/politi...ed-parenthood/

Article about marketability of Zika Vax from Pharma standpoint.

http://www.fiercepharma.com/vaccines...ne-development

Old 08-07-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes, women with Zika may choose to abort. Others will not. I am not sure what your point is. You imply that anyone with a Zika infected pregnancy will just choose to abort. Most women would prefer not to have to make that decision.

From your link:

"The team predicts the next large-scale epidemic is unlikely to come about for at least another ten years but some smaller outbreaks could be possible."

The researchers are not predicting that Zika will disappear, only that this outbreak will eventually get smaller.

Before the vaccine against it, there were cyclic outbreaks of rubella, too, every six to nine years. Since new cohorts of susceptible people will be born continuously, once Zika is in the mosquito population there will be the potential for new epidemics. While the "original" form of herd immunity is happening - which is poor at best - pregnant women will be getting infected and having babies with birth defects.

We still need a vaccine for Zika.
Never had a vaccine for Rubella, but had it as a child. Was tested during pregnancy 30+ years later, and still had immunity from the DISEASE, not the vaccination. Impossible only vaccines can give immunity?

The more people infected with Zika BEFORE pregnancy, like Rubella, the fewer people who can catch Zika a second time which is what this article is talking about. You only cite and push VACCINATED Herd Immunity but never Disease Induced Herd Immunity. Oh, people will have SUFFER from the disease of Zika for immunity? No symptoms is SUFFERING? You cannot argue that one. Try it. In the case of Zika with no symptoms, perhaps it is better to catch the disease itself long before pregnancy? Natural Herd Immunity. Still, you are going to ramp up the casual contact fear to get enough people to take your vax when it comes out. I might give Zika to a pregnant woman just being around her?Have to make that connection to ramp up fear and future vaccinations. Lay on the guilt trip for other people.

BTW, where is your vaccine to prevent Down Syndrome babies? Your Zika vaccine will go the way of your West Nile vaccine, which has been around in the US for over 20 years. No PROFIT for the mass selling of the vaccine, end of story.

You promote FEAR to everything to sell your products.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Never had a vaccine for Rubella, but had it as a child. Was tested during pregnancy 30+ years later, and still had immunity from the DISEASE, not the vaccination. Impossible only vaccines can give immunity?

The more people infected with Zika BEFORE pregnancy, like Rubella, the fewer people who can catch Zika a second time which is what this article is talking about. You only cite and push VACCINATED Herd Immunity but never Disease Induced Herd Immunity. Oh, people will have SUFFER from the disease of Zika for immunity? No symptoms is SUFFERING? You cannot argue that one. Try it. In the case of Zika with no symptoms, perhaps it is better to catch the disease itself long before pregnancy? Natural Herd Immunity. Still, you are going to ramp up the casual contact fear to get enough people to take your vax when it comes out. I might give Zika to a pregnant woman just being around her?Have to make that connection to ramp up fear and future vaccinations. Lay on the guilt trip for other people.

BTW, where is your vaccine to prevent Down Syndrome babies? Your Zika vaccine will go the way of your West Nile vaccine, which has been around in the US for over 20 years. No PROFIT for the mass selling of the vaccine, end of story.

You promote FEAR to everything to sell your products.
Since Down Syndrome is a genetic defect that is produced at the time of conception there will be no vaccine for it. It is not an infection, and your attempt to equate it with one just shows a certain level of ignorance about the condition.

It would be wonderful if we could guarantee that every female had Zika before she reached puberty and was able to conceive, but we cannot do that.

Yes, you could give Zika to a pregnant woman of you got the virus and were bitten by a mosquito that then bit a pregnant woman. Most of us here are well aware you feel no sense of responsibility to protect others in your community from infectious diseases, whether it's flu or Zika.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events