Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2016, 10:09 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,544,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Do you genuinely lack the ability to understand the concept of free speech?

Voltaire; I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
There isn't a concept of free speech, only an interpretation as allowed by the law.... including the US.

F*** Voltaire, someone makes fun of my kids for a few dollars and free drinks, I'd hurt them myself if I knew I could get away with it.

Maybe you should ask a few survivors of the Nazi era, if they would defend with their lives, the rights of the brownshirts to express their views -Voltaire's is an airy fairy view really, entirely dependent on the situation. Great for people who feel safe behind the veneer of a civil society, but worthless dribble when the goo hits the fan.

Last edited by Joe90; 07-23-2016 at 10:18 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 10:19 PM

254 posts, read 192,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
There isn't a concept of free speech, only an interpretation as allowed by the law.... including the US.

F*** Voltaire, someone makes fun of my kids for a few dollars and free drinks, I'd hurt them myself if I knew I could get away with it.

Maybe you should ask a few survivors of the Nazi era, if they would defend with their lives, the rights of the brownshirts to express their views.
Pretty sure the Nazis weren't sitting around telling jokes.

Remember what I said about New York liberals? You remind me of them. "I'm so tolerant that I'll kill you if you make fun of someone!"

Old 07-23-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomanno View Post
Pretty sure the Nazis weren't sitting around telling jokes.

Remember what I said about New York liberals? You remind me of them. "I'm so tolerant that I'll kill you if you make fun of someone!"
Oh they would have been telling jokes alright, you can be pretty certain of that.

I'm not particularly tolerant in that regard -might be getting your wires crossed there.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:25 PM

254 posts, read 192,144 times
Quote:
Oh they would have been telling jokes alright, you can be pretty certain of that.

I'm not particularly tolerant in that regard -might be getting your wires crossed there.
I know, that's what's hilarious about liberals. They're actually extremely intolerant about everything, which is why everyone laughs at their "I just care!!" routine.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomanno View Post
I know, that's what's hilarious about liberals. They're actually extremely intolerant about everything, which is why everyone laughs at their "I just care!!" routine.
Pay less attention to liberals, and learn more about factors that can enable a Nazi regime.

Don't be just another drone getting worked up over liberals or conservatives.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:39 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,269,553 times
Quote:
Jokes are fine, but mentioning specific individuals (even kids) isn't -or would you be cool with me making explicit jokes about your 5 year children?

You're happy with people verbally attacking individual nine year olds for money, yet you live in a country where at any time, you could be seized off the street, wrongfully convicted and murdered by the state -sounds like you let the government decide right from wrong for you. Obviously not someone who truly understands liberty.

Americans discussing freedom is a comedy skit.
And a Kiwi discussing, well...ANYTHING, is obviously a waste of everyone's time.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:53 AM

652 posts, read 338,224 times
Quote:
How about a comedy skit about having sex with 5 year olds? -I guess that's okay as well?
Quote:
So you agree that comedy clubs charging money for jokes about sex with 5 years, should be able to operate if they get the patronage?
Quote:
So you're fine with comedy skits about sex with 5 year olds then? - customer is always right I guess?
Quote:
Jokes are fine, but mentioning specific individuals (even kids) isn't -or would you be cool with me making explicit jokes about your 5 year children?.
Quote:
Got any dirty jokes about kids?

Ummm, a little too preoccupied with the whole 'sex with 5 yr olds' scenario, aren't you?

Old 07-24-2016, 06:56 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,398,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
I think most Americans feel it is up to the pubic to decide (by patronizing the comedian) than the government to decide what we can and can't say.

I just can't imagine a government like that for the simple reason that I don't think of the government as a ruling class. I can say what I want and I want others to have that right as well. If someone thinks I am ugly, they have the right to call me that.
Then perhaps you can imagine this:

Forbes Welcome

or this:

Second teen spends months in jail for video game threat | The Daily Caller

or this:

5 Texas Teens Face Charges after Confessing to Spray Painting 'Whites Only' Over School Drinking Fountain

Old 07-24-2016, 07:25 AM

16,870 posts, read 10,512,375 times
Glad to live in a country with free speech.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:49 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,198,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And one more reason why we're also glad you're not a Canadian. We don't want anyone here who delights in bullying the weak and defenceless under the guise of 'speech freedom'.

As for the weather and food. The weather ain't for wusses and we are healthier and live longer for various reasons. Not chowing down the stuff Americans have made Golden Corrals famous for probably chief among them.
Did you not read what he said? He said he doesn't agree with making fun of disabled people or the weak but thinks we should have the freedom to say what we please. I like how you decry bullying in one sentence and then hint around that Americans are wusses in the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events