Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2016, 08:54 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
We are a nation of laws. Period. Everyone deserves due process. Detaining someone and reporting him to the police is as far as any person should go. After that you are guilty of assault and, in this case, manslaughter.

"What was missing from Nunez’s account, according to reports, was what witness Rebecca Baggett told police she saw happen that night: a woman jump on the back of a man, knock him to the ground, then punch him multiple times."

SOURCE

Imagine if a police officer was seen doing this to an unarmed 64 year old man? The other day I almost left Walmart with an item in my cart after using the self-checkout aisle. I said "oops!" then turned around and paid for the item. Glad these 3 didn't jump on top of me for missing a 50 cent apple pie.
"We are a nation of laws. Period. " What a nice slogan. But if we really relied on courts for discipline we'd have anarchy.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:37 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
"We are a nation of laws. Period. " What a nice slogan. But if we really relied on courts for discipline we'd have anarchy.
Instead we have vigilantes who will kill an old man over a few hundred bucks worth of DVDs stolen from a multi-billion dollar corporation.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:34 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Instead we have vigilantes who will kill an old man over a few hundred bucks worth of DVDs stolen from a multi-billion dollar corporation.
I disagree with the employees' actions, but I disagree way more with the idea that it's more acceptable to steal from some people or that it mitigates the theft if you have money or other malarkey.

No one's life is worth a DVD or an appliance, but it's the crook that makes his life worth that, not the people being violated or witnessing the violation.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:27 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeBright View Post
I suppose next time you jaywalk or come to a rolling stop or go a few miles over the speed limit, you should be executed, right? You know who does that? Groups like ISIS and the Nazis.

Committing a crime isn't cause for vigilante execution. Never, unless a life is directly threatened and there is literally no other option.
It is so disappointing and sad that that so many people will not agree with you.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:53 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have 12 years of post-high school higher education in a very competitive field, and I still have to deal with people who break the law, hurt others, rape, murder, maim, lie, cheat, steal, and even personally threaten and assault me...there's no getting away from these people unless you live in a bubble.

I can see anyone getting tired of how these people just walk around free getting away with everything.
I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you saying the man got what was coming to him? Or that people get frustrated with shoplifters? I will remind you that violent crime is totally different from nonviolent crime. Shoplifting: illegal, but nonviolent. The gang assault/murder of the shoplifter: illegal and violent. Very violent, and uncalled for.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:32 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you saying the man got what was coming to him? Or that people get frustrated with shoplifters? I will remind you that violent crime is totally different from nonviolent crime. Shoplifting: illegal, but nonviolent. The gang assault/murder of the shoplifter: illegal and violent. Very violent, and uncalled for.
No.

Did you read the post previous to this?

That we try to understand the desperation or environment that causes people to commit crime, but no one ever considers the psychic trauma of watching people around you consistently break rules and put other people's lives in danger or ruin things or make the world less safe, etc.
I can see people just snapping. I am a very calm person, but I nearly snapped the other day when a red light runner nearly hit my kids (4,2) for the fourth time in 8 days. Three times at the same light going out of our neighborhood.

And spare me, please. That man wasn't murdered. Involuntary manslaughter at best. You know...the same charge you get for slaying an entire family when you drink, drive, and crash.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:22 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,925,638 times
I am flabbergasted by some of the comments saying he got what he deserved. He was running away and, as far as I can tell, didn't even have any merchandise on him. So what were they protecting?

In 1999 my home was burglarized and I wish the thieves were caught and punished. It was a very upsetting experience. Mostly, I wanted my personal belongings returned to me. They were never caught (which is usually the case) but I doubt if they were, they would have gotten the death penalty.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:36 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,925,638 times
Quote:

And spare me, please. That man wasn't murdered. Involuntary manslaughter at best. You know...the same charge you get for slaying an entire family when you drink, drive, and crash.
Really? Is that what the charge is in Florida?

[URL="http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/lauderhill/fl-lauderhill-triple-drowning-arrest-20160609-story.html"]Man, 24, faces homicide, DUI charges in January crash that killed 3 in Lauderhill
[/URL]
"In addition to the vehicular homicide and manslaughter charges, Prince has also been charged with two counts of DUI first offense, two counts of DUI causing property damage, one count of having an unassigned license tag, and one count of driving an uninsured vehicle."

Here's another one:

[URL="http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm-beach/fl-wrong-way-triple-death-case-hearing-20160216-story.html"]Man serving nearly 33 years in DUI manslaughter wrong-way triple death seeks shorter prison term[/URL]

Old 08-06-2016, 10:51 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
No.

Did you read the post previous to this?

That we try to understand the desperation or environment that causes people to commit crime, but no one ever considers the psychic trauma of watching people around you consistently break rules and put other people's lives in danger or ruin things or make the world less safe, etc.
I can see people just snapping. I am a very calm person, but I nearly snapped the other day when a red light runner nearly hit my kids (4,2) for the fourth time in 8 days. Three times at the same light going out of our neighborhood.

Next time you see a red light runner, call the police then. If you'd like to go further, then start carrying a gun and taking out these red light runners and texters. However, take heed what'll happen given whatever your state and federal laws say about this.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:04 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I am flabbergasted by some of the comments saying he got what he deserved. He was running away and, as far as I can tell, didn't even have any merchandise on him. So what were they protecting?

In 1999 my home was burglarized and I wish the thieves were caught and punished. It was a very upsetting experience. Mostly, I wanted my personal belongings returned to me. They were never caught (which is usually the case) but I doubt if they were, they would have gotten the death penalty.
No, he didn't deserve death, but I am flabbergasted by all the people bringing up the fact that he didn't actually succeed in his attempted theft, as if that somehow makes him less of a criminal.
If your burglars had been caught in the act would you consider them any less guilty because they were unsuccessful in taking your stuff?
Again, they guy did NOT deserve death, but why keep bringing up the fact that he left his haul behind when he ran, it's a moot point. It's not as though he'd have been more deserving of death if had successfully taken the mdse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events