Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 07:56 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,281,304 times

Advertisements

I saw this news story in several different media outlets. Many have a misleading headline saying that a breastfeeding mom was kicked out of a movie. In reality this women was kicked out of a movie because she violated the theater's policy. The movie theater in question has a policy against bringing children under 6 years of age to rated R movies. This woman and a few others in her group brought infants to a showing of "Bad Moms".

I really don't see where the outrage is coming from. I have two young children, one being an infant, and I would never dream of bringing them to an adult movie. It is ridiculously inconsiderate of other people. She plays the victim by claiming she needed a well deserved night out; find a babysitter!

I can relate to needing a night out. On the rare occasion my wife and I drop our kids off with a sitter and go see an adult oriented movie, the last thing we want to hear is someone else's baby crying during the film! I remember this happening to us when we went and saw the new Star Wars movie, and it ruined parts of the film. If you see a daytime showing of the newest Pixar or Disney movie you should expect disruptions from children. If you go to a rated R movie in the evening you should not have to worry about such things!

What surprised me was the fair amount of comments attached to the story I saw supporting this woman and her friends. Have people really become that self-absorbed? I don't see how the theater's policy is wrong in any way. They want to ensure an enjoyable experience for their paying customers.

Kids in tow, moms walk out of 'Bad Moms' showing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 08:42 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,214,002 times
WOW!!! you'd think they'd maybe RENT a movie if they wanna see one that bad.
I can understand the theatres side in this.

One mother even said "If our babies are going to make noise we know how to handle the situation"...to that I would say OH YEH??? I can't count how many times I've seen unruly loud children whose parents (who feel they can handle their kids just fine) do nothing about it.
I think these women are being selfish....very unfair to the other movie-goers.
The theatre with a restricted show, or any show for that matter, is not a good place for nursing, pooping, burping infants to be at...it's unfair to others and (in my mind) it's unfair to the toddlers and infants as well.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:59 AM

4,970 posts, read 5,229,072 times
She lost any sympathy when it said she snuck back in to watch "Bad Moms". The issue had already been addressed with her. If she didn't want to watch "Ice Age", she should have said so and asked for her money back. Sometimes unexpected things happen and you go with another plan. The world doesn't revolve around you.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:09 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,903,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
Have people really become that self-absorbed?
Yes, yes they have. Anyone that can't do what they want to do despite any policy/law in place has clearly been wronged and deserves restitution. /s

Old 08-04-2016, 09:38 AM

838 posts, read 550,494 times
I can't help but appreciate the irony.

The last time I went to an R rated movie I saw a young couple with a stroller who sat as close to the exit as possible. The minute their baby got fussy they were out. Sadly, they are the minority.

When I upgrade to first class, I don't want a 3 year old pounding the seat behind me with his feet; or any other body part that moves. I am paying to have a reasonable expectation of comfort.

When I choose an R rated movie, I should have a reasonable expectation that I'll be surrounded by those less likely to have a temper tantrum.

Dear Parents -- when I go on vacation I promise not to get drunk and break up a marco-polo game with a cannonball if you promise not to play "choo choo train" with little Suzie's baby food at the table next to mine at Ruth Chris.

I admit, I don't have children but one of the reasons is because I knew I wouldn't want to make sacrifices. However, when you have children, all bets are off. If you can't afford a "mom's night out" which includes a baby sitter, that's too bad. That's what you signed up for. Wait for it to come out on Netflix, see a rated G movie or catch a matinee on Tuesday.

Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm such a meanie and should be put in time out.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:52 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,673,933 times
Quote:
I saw this news story in several different media outlets. Many have a misleading headline saying that a breastfeeding mom was kicked out of a movie. In reality this women was kicked out of a movie because she violated the theater's policy. The movie theater in question has a policy against bringing children under 6 years of age to rated R movies. This woman and a few others in her group brought infants to a showing of "Bad Moms".

...after 6pm. They would have been okay with it before then.

Quote:
An R-rated movie means it's restricted – and younger than 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian. The rating is given for strong language and violence, nudity for sexual purposes and drug abuse. Regal Cinemas adds the restriction that no children younger than 6 may attend an R-rated movie after 6 p.m. The women were going to the 7:45 p.m. showing.

But I agree with the rest of your post. The women were guests that violated a policy that was laid out up front and were asked to leave. All the other details are just irrelevant noise.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:02 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,038,670 times
Quote:

I really don't see where the outrage is coming from. I have two young children, one being an infant, and I would never dream of bringing them to an adult movie. It is ridiculously inconsiderate of other people. She plays the victim by claiming she needed a well deserved night out; find a babysitter!

I can relate to needing a night out. On the rare occasion my wife and I drop our kids off with a sitter and go see an adult oriented movie, the last thing we want to hear is someone else's baby crying during the film! I remember this happening to us when we went and saw the new Star Wars movie, and it ruined parts of the film. If you see a daytime showing of the newest Pixar or Disney movie you should expect disruptions from children. If you go to a rated R movie in the evening you should not have to worry about such things!

What surprised me was the fair amount of comments attached to the story I saw supporting this woman and her friends. Have people really become that self-absorbed? I don't see how the theater's policy is wrong in any way. They want to ensure an enjoyable experience for their paying customers.

Kids in tow, moms walk out of 'Bad Moms' showing

Oh boy...I am WITH YOU on this one! I have 11 kids; the youngest is age 12 & disabled.

I have not had a "well-deserved night out" since 2006.

A night out with kids is not a night "out". It's a night. With kids.

In the event I ever GET a night out & have to contend with somebody elses children; I will lose it (my temper) I think!

Old 08-04-2016, 10:05 AM

6,304 posts, read 8,983,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
The women were guests that violated a policy that was laid out up front and were asked to leave. All the other details are just irrelevant noise.
But, but.....!

"They can't leave their child because the child doesn't take a bottle," Cebull said. "The option is to miss out, which is unfortunate. We were hoping he would be more flexible on that."

Yup, people really ARE that self-absorbed.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:13 AM

50,105 posts, read 46,689,362 times
That Manager should get a bonus for doing his job even after pressure from "nipples lives matter".

Old 08-04-2016, 11:02 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,897,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Oh boy...I am WITH YOU on this one! I have 11 kids; the youngest is age 12 & disabled.

I have not had a "well-deserved night out" since 2006.

A night out with kids is not a night "out". It's a night. With kids.

In the event I ever GET a night out & have to contend with somebody elses children; I will lose it (my temper) I think!
Congrats surviving 11 kids
We (my wife and I) have missed out on many a dinner,movie etc because we chose to have children.
I can't count how many meals I've eaten cold or lukewarm in the car because the kidlet wouldn't stop crying/screaming or just plain tossing a fit in a restaurant or gone outside of some other close quarters public place.
I never have understood the "parents" that feel they have the right to inflict their stuff on other thereby ruining others time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events