Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 01:47 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
It's about time someone would invent something like this at reasonable price at that, that parents of all walks of life could be covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 02:00 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
It's about time someone would invent something like this at reasonable price at that, that parents of all walks of life could be covered.
I saw on the news that one car maker, I don't recall which one, is working on a device that will be installed in all their cars that will remind people that there is a child in the back seat of the car. But in a case like this, the dad was drinking and he may have been too drunk to pay attention if there was such a device in his car.

In this case, I don't see how he wouldn't be held accountable for the death of the children. He chose to drink while having the responsibility of the care taking of two helpless lives in his hands. You just don't do that. Period.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:12 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I saw on the news that one car maker, I don't recall which one, is working on a device that will be installed in all their cars that will remind people that there is a child in the back seat of the car. But in a case like this, the dad was drinking and he may have been too drunk to pay attention if there was such a device in his car.

In this case, I don't see how he wouldn't be held accountable for the death of the children. He chose to drink while having the responsibility of the care taking of two helpless lives in his hands. You just don't do that. Period.

It doesn't need to be installed in all cars. Parents with infants/toddlers can buy the seats.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
It doesn't need to be installed in all cars. Parents with infants/toddlers can buy the seats.
Just this model so far. It's the one I saw on TV. I don't have either a kid or a car so I don't really have a dog in this race. But speaking of dogs, it would work for those idiots who deliberately leave those in the car too I suppose.

GMC tries to prevent hot car deaths with rear seat reminder - TODAY.com

Old 08-10-2016, 03:21 PM

597 posts, read 666,749 times
This guy was drinking all day, so, yeah, involuntary manslaughter.

But, how does CD feel about those parents who are harried and stressed out and tired, who forget their child in a blazing hot car resulting in death? I've heard several people say that there really shouldn't be criminal charges because (1) having to live with oneself is already horrible punishment (clearly it is; the guilt would be crushing), and (2) there would be no deterrent effect for other parents because children dying in these situations is never planned or premeditated; no one expects for this to happen. The guy in this case didn't plan on killing his kids either, but he planned on drinking. Is that any different from the stressed/tired people?

Old 08-10-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post

But, how does CD feel about those parents who are harried and stressed out and tired, who forget their child in a blazing hot car resulting in death? I've heard several people say that there really shouldn't be criminal charges because (1) having to live with oneself is already horrible punishment (clearly it is; the guilt would be crushing), and (2) there would be no deterrent effect for other parents because children dying in these situations is never planned or premeditated; no one expects for this to happen. The guy in this case didn't plan on killing his kids either, but he planned on drinking. Is that any different from the stressed/tired people?
I think so. Planning on drinking when you are taking care of kids is something over which you have control. Putting your kids in the car when you're drunk or there's a possibility you could get drunk because you're going to drink is a factor that could put the kids in harm's way.

Putting your kids with the possibility you might forget them is far less likely.

At least that's the way I see it.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:39 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Idiot - the mother was probably at work while this loser sat around getting drunk. The only consolation is that these babies are in Heaven and won't suffer having this moron as their father.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:57 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Idiot - the mother was probably at work while this loser sat around getting drunk. The only consolation is that these babies are in Heaven and won't suffer having this moron as their father.
Well if you care to read the article, the mother was out of the state visiting family

Old 08-10-2016, 05:48 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Another stupid parent. This guy should be charged with murder.

Two 16-month-old twins have died after their father allegedly left them alone in a hot car in Georgia.

The father, 24-year-old Asa North, was arrested and charged with involuntary manslaughter and reckless conduct on Friday, according to authorities.

After the children were pulled from the car, North attempted to revive his daughters by putting them in a filled inflatable pool behind their apartment, witnesses told police.

Dad Charged With Involuntary Manslaughter After His 16-Month-Old Twins Die In Hot Car - Inside Edition
No need for charges to be brought, because the children's mother will probably kill him.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:20 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post

Every time something like this happens there seems to be a chorus of people who scream "this could never happen to me" which is the exact attitude that causes stuff like this to happen. You have to realize that stuff like this could happen to you, especially when you change part of your routine, and take active steps to avoid it.

The really judgemental people say something like "my child is always my number one focus", which is also dangerous. Far more kids die in auto accidents than in hot car deaths, for the sake of your kids driving should be your primary focus even when they're in the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events