Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 10:37 AM

4,972 posts, read 5,232,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I wonder where the grandparents , aunts , uncles were ? and what about school teachers ? surely these kids were going to school in filthy clothes then where were they when calls needed to be made ? so many questions but I'm glad the kids will get some help . If these kids are that starved I bet they looked like skeletons too .
School has started yet for some kids. I only see my nieces and nephews a couple of times a year. We meet at my dad's house.

My understanding is that the social workers will go through the cabinets to see what food is available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 10:46 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,771,867 times
Unfortunately this is more common than most people realize. Mostly it is that the parents are drugged out or drunk and can't watch after them.

My aunt just became the legal guardian of 2 little girls who came to her via Foster Care. One is 4 and the other is 6. The 6 year old has downs syndrome. They were found going to liquor stores asking for food.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:46 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,407,939 times
Heartbreaking!

Old 08-13-2016, 11:04 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,397,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Unfortunately this is more common than most people realize. Mostly it is that the parents are drugged out or drunk and can't watch after them.

My aunt just became the legal guardian of 2 little girls who came to her via Foster Care. One is 4 and the other is 6. The 6 year old has downs syndrome. They were found going to liquor stores asking for food.
You're right. I cannot tell you how many stories I have read in the local paper about children being removed from a home filled with garbage and feces. A couple of years ago there was a couple that had their elementary school children taken away because they were neglected to the point where their teeth had all but rotted out of their mouths. And there are so many stories that don't make the papers.

Kudos to the officer for showing him a kind word and a meal, and getting those kids out of that awful house.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:18 AM

16,146 posts, read 10,287,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
No legal jurisdiction until this point. Disgusting, but true.

They may or may not have known. The kids may have been ashamed and covered for their parents. Either way, until the authorities show up, children are the property of their parents until the age of majority.
They certainly could have called child protective services.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:43 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,908,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
The story says the kids are with family members. Just wondering what they think, better yet where have they been? They had to have known.
That's what crossed my mind. If they were out of state they may not have known what was going on, but if not.....shame on them!

Old 08-13-2016, 12:03 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,908,049 times
Quote:
The story says the kids are with family members. Just wondering what they think, better yet where have they been? They had to have known.
That's what crossed my mind. If they were out of state they may not have known what was going on, but if not.....shame on them!

Old 08-13-2016, 12:17 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,628,335 times
Oh man, that is just sad. Poor kid. I don't get why we have to be licensed and/or background checked for just about everything, except parenting suitability. Makes no sense at all.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:58 PM

23,557 posts, read 13,773,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes but its sad NO ONE HELPED HIM!! (They had to call a cop to help him)

Thats sad right there (But not surprising @ all)
Well, what do you expect people to do but to call the authorities?

I've been in a similar situation at least a time or two where as a civilian approaching the child would be improper at least and most likely wrong for how does the child know I am not a threat?

In one situation where a young tween (is that the term) was limping home straddling her bicycle, I leaned out of my car window at a distance and asked if there was anyone I could call for her. The request was declined and that was that. In another situation at a festival, I observed a 5ish year old who was isolated, looked confused. I shadowed him until I could get to a booth to tell an official, "Excuse me, that child appears to be lost.". They, being in a uniform of a type, responded immediately, approached the child to talk to him .....and the mother was immediately on the scene realizing the separation.

ALL THAT SAID, I read about this incident earlier today and as the officer said, simply heart breaking.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:01 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,057,616 times
Quote:
They certainly could have called child protective services.
That one is a double edged sword. Again, if the older children were ashamed and covering for mom and dad, the grandparents and such may not have known how bad it was.

Also, I have a relative who has had child protective services called on her no less than six times by the children, ( she had custody of more than one back then ) relatives, the school district, etc. Her daughter turns 18 in a couple months. They never did anything. Too late now.

None of the relatives could have done anything without legal authority.

This is what makes this little guy in the OP such a hero. He really did save his family.

Maybe his drunk ass parents will go to rehab now. Maybe his brothers will get to finish high school in a stable environment.

All because he was brave enough, and smart enough to say to himself " You know. I'm hungry, and peanut butter isn't getting here any time soon. Sorry Teddy. You're getting sold"

Bravo, little boy !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events