Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 03:33 PM

17,461 posts, read 15,047,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Last words: "Heck,my 4X4 can go anywhere".
No, no, no.. In the south it's

"Hey, Y'all... Watch this!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 04:18 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,292,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
No, no, no.. In the south it's

"Hey, Y'all... Watch this!"
You forgot the "hold my beer" part.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:04 PM

15,205 posts, read 10,221,427 times
"Here's your sign".

Old 08-16-2016, 03:03 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,750,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere
I was watching "The Weather Channel"; they had a guy on a flooded road, broadcasting, and here came an old couple in an even older pickup truck, sloshing through the water. He stopped them to chat. The man, who was amiable enough, said he was just going home; that his home was dry. They just had to get past this part. The weatherman told him, "You realize the water's rising, right? So you're not worried that you'll get trapped up there?" The guy said, "Well, guess I'll just have to take my chances..." The woman just looked very ticked off at the question.
Well I can understand why the lady was upset.... THEY HAVE LIVED THERE MANY YEARS and are used to that.. THAT GUY DOESNT and he assumes he knows whats best for people there??

Is kind of insulting.......

Old 08-16-2016, 07:34 AM

21,669 posts, read 12,735,276 times
...until they require rescuing. Thousands of people who "have lived there many years" apparently have.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:49 AM

6,640 posts, read 4,745,072 times
There was no mandatory evacuation in process. People did not "refuse" to leave their houses. This was not a hurricane, it was not even a tropical storm. It was a low pressure system that wouldn't move. It was 3-4 inches of rain per hour.

I have a neighbor a few streets away from me who has lived there for 31 years. Never in those 31 years has the water come as close to her house as it did Saturday. Luckily, it didn't get to her house.

There are entire neighborhoods in town here that are completely flooded. Again, there was no mandatory evacuation in place. There was not, in spite of what some might think, a whole lot of warning of this storm. This was not Katrina.

I guess you can really only go by what you've experienced your whole life when you have to make a decision like that, to stay or go.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:26 PM

307 posts, read 244,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
There was no mandatory evacuation in process. People did not "refuse" to leave their houses. This was not a hurricane, it was not even a tropical storm. It was a low pressure system that wouldn't move. It was 3-4 inches of rain per hour.

I have a neighbor a few streets away from me who has lived there for 31 years. Never in those 31 years has the water come as close to her house as it did Saturday. Luckily, it didn't get to her house.

There are entire neighborhoods in town here that are completely flooded. Again, there was no mandatory evacuation in place. There was not, in spite of what some might think, a whole lot of warning of this storm. This was not Katrina.

I guess you can really only go by what you've experienced your whole life when you have to make a decision like that, to stay or go.
That Thursday the local news warned the Greater New Orleans area about the "possibility" of up to 10 inches of rain over the weekend. The problem was that there was no warning or even a mention of the "possibility" of that much rain on the North Shore and Greater Baton Rouge area, and no one could have predicted the 30+ inches that would fall in that short time.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:30 PM

307 posts, read 244,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
You forgot the "hold my beer" part.
Please do not confuse Louisiana with Alabama

Here it's " Hold my daiquiri"
get it right!

Old 08-16-2016, 01:32 PM

21,669 posts, read 12,735,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post

That's all well and good, but then you have people willfully driving over a flooded road ("don't drown, turn around") who keep on driving even when they're warned that they'll get trapped wherever they're going. And resent the advice. Given the number of rescues, it's hard to believe that at least some couldn't have been avoided with a little common sense, especially once the disaster was underway.

I don't even want to think about the number of dogs chained or fenced in the back yard that weren't freed and evacuated in time, either. Shudder!

Old 08-16-2016, 01:55 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,292,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostintheMatrix View Post
Please do not confuse Louisiana with Alabama

Here it's " Hold my daiquiri"
get it right!
I stand corrected.......

My apologies to the great state of Louisiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events