Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 01:00 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
President Bush loved those in the service as did President Reagan. President Eisenhower was a General in the Army, President Kennedy Served in the Navy I think. Many other presidents have served their nation in the service. Many Congress members have also served in the military. Here are a few people that have no respect for the Military: Bill Clinton, Barrack Obama, Hillary Clinton, to name just a few.
Donald Trump to name another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 01:21 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,659,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
President Bush loved those in the service as did President Reagan. President Eisenhower was a General in the Army, President Kennedy Served in the Navy I think. Many other presidents have served their nation in the service. Many Congress members have also served in the military. Here are a few people that have no respect for the Military: Bill Clinton, Barrack Obama, Hillary Clinton, to name just a few.
President Bush or Reagan may have said they love those in the military but did not support it with financing veterans affairs. Sorry to say, believe it is Obama that actually did the most for veterans and vet families.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:27 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
President Bush or Reagan may have said they love those in the military but did not support it with financing veterans affairs. Sorry to say, believe it is Obama that actually did the most for veterans and vet families.
VA care issues have been so long-standing that there were two movies back in the 70s about it.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:01 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Or maybe we should can the VA, and just give them all lifetime Medicare with Medicaid as secondary payer. Might save some money, kick off some dead weight and allow our veterans to choose their own providers.
This is my preferred solution as well

Is it perfect? No. But at least they would have different doctors to choose from if they are unhappy with their quality of care. I was on Medicaid during a period of unemployment and honestly nothing at all changed, I kept the same doctors I had under my employer provided BCBS plan and the same level of care. In NY there are usually multiple plans to choose from (my county offers 3 plans - UnitedHealthcare, Aetna, and Humana).

I live in the same county where this guy lived. He would have been able to get better care under a private provider.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:09 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,226 times
To those that say ......."give them Medicare"......Medicare only pays 80%

My 20% for my two hip replacements would have been very costly $$$$$$$.

To those that say..." why don't you have a supplement to go with your Medicare" ?
My answer is the VA ...is..my supplement.

My supplement "premiums" were paid when I answered my draft call in 1965.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:15 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,122,063 times
If you have not been under VA medical care you would have no idea what it is really like.

Not every veteran is entitled to medical care benefits and not everyone who is entitled get free medical care.

Ive been under the care of the VA, off an on, since 2005. I can tell you how well I have been taken care of by my local VA provider and how well I was cared for in a VA hospital where I was admitted on 4 different occasions and stayed there for 1-3 weeks. I can tell you that the people who staff my local VA hospital are top notch. I can tell you the facilities I used were excellent.

I am sure than there are lousy facilities, lousy doctors, lousy nurses. They are not the majority of the people staffing VA medical care.

If the veteran who shot himself was enrolled in VA health care, and it seems he was, he would have been taken care of at the ER.

The VA may not please every veteran using their services however the many veterans I have met at VA facilities hold VA medical in high regard.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:22 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Medicare is an example of govt running health care. Have you ever heard a senior say he wishes he wouldn't have Medicare?

The VA isn't FUNDED well and doesn't have enough facilities. Remember Bush admin. closing a lot of VA locations in the midst of two wars (Afghanistan and Iraq)?

Funding takes taxes. Taxes that some people don't want to pay.
That's complete garbage. Bloated salaries, lavish conferences, brand new office furniture, sculptures and fountains - there's plenty of money for that, so saying it's not funded well is simply a lie.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:54 PM

17,613 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Presidents don't set the budget. Congress sets the budget. The Democratic Party held the majority during those two administrations.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:55 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,659,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Presidents don't set the budget. Congress sets the budget. The Democratic Party held the majority during those two administrations.
OK, if you say so.

WASHINGTON — President Reagan will ask Congress to cut veterans' medical benefits in a federal budget proposal that emphasizes military spending over domestic programs and allocates another $100 million or so for Nicaragua's contra rebels, it was disclosed today.

"We will be cutting a couple hundred million dollars, something in that nature," from medical programs for veterans, said James C. Miller III, the director of the powerful Office of Management and Budget.

But "any veteran who's sustained an injury or an illness connected with their service, of course, will be covered," Miller told ABC's "Good Morning America." He also said that "poor veterans will be covered."

$1.8-Trillion Plan

Reagan's budget plan will be released formally Monday, and the New York Times reported today that confidential documents reveal the new spending plan proposes $1.8 trillion in military spending over the next five years.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times
Quote:
OK, if you say so.

WASHINGTON — President Reagan will ask Congress to cut veterans' medical benefits in a federal budget proposal that emphasizes military spending over domestic programs and allocates another $100 million or so for Nicaragua's contra rebels, it was disclosed today.

"We will be cutting a couple hundred million dollars, something in that nature," from medical programs for veterans, said James C. Miller III, the director of the powerful Office of Management and Budget.

But "any veteran who's sustained an injury or an illness connected with their service, of course, will be covered," Miller told ABC's "Good Morning America." He also said that "poor veterans will be covered."

$1.8-Trillion Plan

Reagan's budget plan will be released formally Monday, and the New York Times reported today that confidential documents reveal the new spending plan proposes $1.8 trillion in military spending over the next five years.
You realize that "cutting the budget" means not giving as big an increase as was requested or given in years past right?
Rarely if EVER is "cutting the budget" actually CUTTING the existing budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events