Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 10:20 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
People are getting all bent out of shape about "weirdos with drones" as if those same weirdos couldn't simply get a camera with 30x zoom and "invade your privacy" 5 feet off your property lines.
I think the point is that if they are using a drone to do something similar then both are weirdos.

Hey, I like drones....I'm thinking of getting my dad one for Christmas....but it's how you use them that is the issue.

Just like a person sitting in a car at the park watching ducks and taking pictures is one thing....and sitting in a car staring at kids playing at recess and taking pictures of them is likely to get you a conversation with the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 10:22 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
As someone who has a drone constantly flying overhead, I applaud this woman (outside of the fact she could have hurt someone). I'm tempted to get a pressure washer to shoot the one above me down.
Hmm.

A pressure washer seems to be an ideal choice. Range is limited--if he's flying low enough to damage with a power washer, he was too darned low. No danger to anyone below nor, practically speaking, to anyone beyond.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:23 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,302,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think the point is that if they are using a drone to do something similar then both are weirdos.

Hey, I like drones....I'm thinking of getting my dad one for Christmas....but it's how you use them that is the issue.

Just like a person sitting in a car at the park watching ducks and taking pictures is one thing....and sitting in a car staring at kids playing at recess and taking pictures of them is likely to get you a conversation with the police.
And invasion of privacy doesn't seem to be an issue with some folks that run drones, causing problems for the people who don't peek in windows.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Or maybe not. You realize that's not against the law, right?

Old 09-02-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It could be....would depend on several factors....which is why the police would probably want to come talk to the person. They've busted several sex offenders doing this over the years.

Never said the guy would be arrested, just looked into.

People that like to try to walk right up to the line often find out they crossed it and then get hit with charges like trespassing etc.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:31 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,302,136 times
Quote:
He said "conversation", not arrested. If turns out the guy is a registered sex offender then things would proceed.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Hmm.

A pressure washer seems to be an ideal choice. Range is limited--if he's flying low enough to damage with a power washer, he was too darned low. No danger to anyone below nor, practically speaking, to anyone beyond.
Wouldn't a regular hose have more range? You could claim you were just watering your yard. There are some attachments that really give a tight powerful stream.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
He said "conversation", not arrested. If turns out the guy is a registered sex offender then things would proceed.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...ching+children

Yep. Here is a list of wayyyy too many creepy dudes....

Old 09-02-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't a regular hose have more range? You could claim you were just watering your yard. There are some attachments that really give a tight powerful stream.
Limited range is a "feature," not a disadvantage in this case. A power washer will be damaging at just the right range.

And I might be doing a number of things with it in my back yard--washing windows, for instance.

So, I'm just washing my upper floor windows, I hear a strange noise in the air behind me and turn to see what it is, still holding the washer wand in my hand.

Oops. Did I do that?

Old 09-02-2016, 11:22 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
...Where do private property rights end and public air space begins?...
At an altitude of about 500', usually.

There are variations when in close proximity to a municipal airport.

May be some variations dependent on local jurisdiction laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events