Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 01:53 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Why is this a big deal? There are bridges all along the border in Texas, there's a river between the countries (the Rio Grande). There's even the Los Ebanos ferry.

We used to always walk over the bridges. I've never been comfortable driving there, and I wouldn't want to take a decent bicycle over either. You might ride over and have to walk back .
Don't tell them about the Los Ebanos ferry. It will only confuse/scare them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 02:19 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Last time I was in the Big Bend area this crossing Visit Boquillas - VisitBigBend - Guides for the Big Bend Region of Texas was closed. It's open again. Bikes? This port of entry has rowboats. It's an official crossing, folks from both sides must have official papers.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:12 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
SO would you have to use your passport to go to the bathroom???
The way it was supposed to work (not enforced) was that if you entered from Canada you return to Canada and same with the U.S. There was only one door which appeared to be on the Canadian side of the border.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:58 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What is going to happen to this bike path when Trumps wall goes up? ...........
You haven't twisted it around in your head so that you think that the wall is going to stop all border crossings, have you? Border crossing points will still be open, people will still travel back and forth, business will continue. Legal immigration will go on just like it does now.

The wall is only to stop persons without documentation crossing away from the border checkpoints, and to stop those carrying drugs, weapons, and their terrorist clients.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You haven't twisted it around in your head so that you think that the wall is going to stop all border crossings, have you? Border crossing points will still be open, people will still travel back and forth, business will continue. Legal immigration will go on just like it does now.

The wall is only to stop persons without documentation crossing away from the border checkpoints, and to stop those carrying drugs, weapons, and their terrorist clients.
Is it going to stop tourists who come in to, say, visit the Statue of Liberty or the Smithsonian and decide they like the U.S. enough to stay?

Old 09-06-2016, 12:37 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Is it going to stop tourists who come in to, say, visit the Statue of Liberty or the Smithsonian and decide they like the U.S. enough to stay?
Not if their tourist visa is in order at the time they enter. Same for students on a student visa.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:16 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
SO would you have to use your passport to go to the bathroom???

Either that or you would expose yourself (literal French translation) to a fine and prosecution.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Not if their tourist visa is in order at the time they enter. Same for students on a student visa.
Seriously, unless they commit a crime so as to get arrested how are they going to be caught once they disappear into the free vastness of the U.S.?

Old 09-07-2016, 06:56 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
There is already a border crossing between the two cities, wall or no wall. Crossed that one (not by bike but by car and foot) many times during my lifetime. You do understand that even with a "wall" (good God) that there are legal crossings between countries? Now, what were my parents and I doing heading into Mexico when I was a kid? We were usually vacationing in South Padre Island, crossed into Matamoros to do super scary things like have a meal, experience another border town, purchase art (parents were really into folk art Mexican masks), stuff like that. A Trump Wall (rolling my eyes) will not close ports of entry.

I think Matamoros is a great place to visit and shop. I've never had a bad experience in either Matamoros or Brownsville. The restaurants are good and the shopping is muy bueno. A bike lane is a good idea for coming and going. It's just another option and I like options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events