Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 03:53 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times

Advertisements

Critical thinking?? That was speculation ... Pure and simple!

Gps can be close to 1 to 2 minutes to find the recipients location. That is BS that anyone in the family or police did not track that data immediately!

Fact two: bust a tail light. Crow bars are standard in trunks. I have a bug bag in my trunk. Cell phone.. Screw driver..mini flash light..sparklers, bic lighter
and yes a 6 oz water...my car itself has a tracker .. So if it's stolen.. It's found good luck thieves trying to disable it.. It's not easy to manually disable

It's not an easy area to find my bag if you toss me in my trunk ! But I know how to get to it. My sons laugh that I have it...

Something in this entire scenario is missing key points to resolve . One fact at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 03:53 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
The autopsy should clear up a few outstanding details.....

Like the distance from which the gunshot was fired. If the wound has gunshot powder and burning of the skin, that may indicate she shot herself, as you can only extend your arm a limited distance, while holding the gun. If there is no gunshot residue on the body, or her clothes, she may have been shot by some body else, standing outside of the trunk, somewhat further away.

If she has more than one bullet wound, she was probably shot by someone else.

If she was struck in the head with enough force to render her unconscious, her head/skull will show that, upon examination. Her internal body temperature at the scene will indicate approximately how long she had been dead, at the time the liver temperature was taken. A further indictor will be the amount and location of the lividity . This is the pooling of blood in the lowest parts of the body, after death has occurred. It can indicate if the person was moved, or repositioned, after death has occurred. Marks on the body that match up with the floor indentations of the car, will also be important evidence.

There are many question that have yet to be answered .

JiM B.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:54 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
A couple of points....unless that Pontiac was an older one ..........all cars sold in the US have a luminous handle inside of the trunk that when pulled , poops the trunk lid open. If she was able to use her cell phone, she obviously had her hands free. According to my research , such devices were first discussed by Congress in 2001, and mandated in 2012. Older cars can be retro fitted, if the owner wants it .

Jim B.
Hers was a 2005 which has a manual trunk release.

Police are now investigating as a possible suicide

Old 09-09-2016, 03:56 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
The trunk release information is good to know, but probably not a factor in this case as it seems like there's more to the story: Update: Authorities questioning abduction story in Great Falls woman

When I first read thru the timeline yesterday, a lot of it didn't make sense and I had the feeling this would turn out not to be an actual stranger abduction. Seeing the article above seems to confirm my first suspicions. Here's the timeline info: UPDATE: Single gunshot killed Great Falls woman found near Spokane

If you read the timeline and the Missoulian article, the trip thru Idaho and Washington doesn't make a lot of sense. The car was in Post Falls around 4pm, but then traveled 40 miles East back to Kingston for the credit card to be used at 4:15, then traveled back West 60 miles past Spokane to Ritzville for the credit card to be used again at 9:55 pm, and then the car traveled East the 60 miles back to Spokane for her to be found sometime between 12:30 and 1:30 am.

And then there's a long list of other items from her story that don't make sense:

1) If she was at a gas station at 11 am, why stop 30 miles down the road at an isolated rustic rest area when you were less than an hour from home. Most 47 year old women can hold their bladder for more than an hour.
It could have been as simple as thinking she only had an hour to go, she could make it, and then realizing 30 miles down the road...nope, she couldn't.

Quote:
2) Even if she couldn't hold it for the entire trip home, any woman raised in a rural state knows to never stop at a rest area day or night when traveling alone. Unless it's daytime and the rest area is packed with families. There are a number of small towns along that route that have cafes and gas stations to stop at.
I stop at rest areas by myself all the time. What are you talking about? Not only did I used to drive for a living and use rest stops, but I've moved all over this country multiple times, stopping at, and even staying at, rest stops, by myself.

Quote:
3) The rest area she supposedly was abducted from is the more rustic of the two in the area. It has pit toilets. There's another rest area only 15 miles away with running water. Given the choice, any woman as familiar with that stretch of road as she would have been would know about the second rest area and choose to wait 10 minutes to stop at the rest area that has flushing toilets and more people versus a rustic rest area with basically one step up from a stinky outhouse.
See #1. If you really have to go, 15 miles is torture. It's not the same as city driving, at all.

Quote:
4) Why would the kidnapper not take her cell phone before putting her in the trunk? Chances are he would want it to use or to sell for quick cash. At the very least he would want to take it so she couldn't use it to call for help.
Who is to say that the kidnapper even knew she had a cell phone. Maybe it was in her pocket and he didn't notice it.

Quote:
5) Why would the kidnapper leave her alive in the trunk for 12 hours and thru at least 2 stops at convenience stores. If the plan was to kill her, he would have pulled off the road and done it well before he got all the way to Idaho. There are tons of isolated areas along those roads where he could have stopped, killed her, left her and no one would have found her for months or years. If the plan was to use her to withdraw money from an ATM or to rape her, he would have stopped somewhere to get her out of the trunk and not waited 12 hours.
Well apparently he smacked her over the head so maybe the kidnapper thought she was out like a light and, as with most idiotic criminals, was either too cocky about getting away with the crime, or too stupid to think ahead. Or both.

Quote:
6) She was in that trunk for 12 hours, but never once called 911? And didn't call her family or anyone else either for almost 11 hours? The only conversation she had with the police is because they called her and she answered the phone.
From the article:

Quote:
She made several 911 calls and managed a roughly 10-minute conversation that night with her husband, Bob, and daughter Rochelle...

...Her cell signal faded in and out. Still, she managed to reach at least two law enforcement agencies in Helena.
Quote:
7) She didn't try to escape or make any kind of scene during at least 2 stops at convenience stores? Even if there was no trunk release most people would still kick and scream if they could hear other people around.
Again, she had been hit in the head. Per her daughter (again, from the article):

Quote:
...Maze’s daughter said she sounded dizzy and had no idea of her location, where she was headed or even that she was in her own car. She told her daughter her abductor had hit her in the head.
Sounds to me like she wasn't all there - she did just get smacked upside the head. Further, she owned a gun. It was in her car. Unfortunately, it was not with her in the trunk, it was with the kidnapper, upfront. If she started making all kinds of racket, who is to say that he wouldn't drive off, shoot her, dump her, and flee. I mean, sometimes criminals will do it all if they know they're going away for a long time.

Quote:
8) The gun she was killed with and the spent shells were found in the trunk with her. A kidnapper would have taken the gun with him and either kept it or dumped it somewhere else away from the car. Even if a kidnapper did shoot her in the trunk and then toss the gun in, the spent shells would not have landed in the trunk with her, they would have fallen on the ground outside the trunk.
Unless he picked up the shells and threw them and the gun in the trunk thinking to take them with him to hide the evidence...WITH the person he just shot. Hide it all.

Quote:
9) She was a big woman, based on the photos probably over 200 pounds. Even for a big man, it would not be quick or easy to get 200+ pounds of unconscious dead weight into a trunk. Definitely not something someone would want to do at a rest stop along a well traveled freeway at 11:30am. A kidnapper would probably wait for an easier target or at least wait for dark.
Who says the person was alone?

Quote:
10) Around that location, there are all kinds of rural properties where people leave their cars unlocked and the keys in the ignition. If a criminal needed to steal a car and found themselves in Wolf Creek Montana, there are much easier ways to steal a car than to wait at a rest area potentially for hours hoping for an opportunity to carjack someone.
Criminals will go for the easiest target. Just because cars are left unlocked doesn't mean that dogs on the property don't alert the homeowners, who typically have a nice collection of firearms to protect them and theirs from would be car jackers...see, when people KNOW that the chances of someone having a gun is pretty high, they go for an easier target...oh look, a lone overweight, older woman traveling alone...they took their chances that she didn't have a gun on her.

Quote:
My two cents is that they will find out this is an elaborate suicide staged to look like a murder. My guess is she has a life insurance policy that doesn't pay out in cases of suicide so she needed it to look like she was murdered. She wasn't working, her husband was unemployed, and her daughter has a big wedding coming up so they were probably broke and needed money. I do feel bad for her family as they probably had no idea what she was planning and will now have to live with this stigma for the rest of their lives.
Who knows. Stranger things have happened. I'm simply playing devil's advocate with your observations. If all crimes were by the book, we wouldn't need all of the investigators that we have. Who knows, maybe it was suicide...athough that is one heck of a ridiculous story just to off yourself. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Maybe she was involved in something she wasn't supposed to be involved in. Maybe there is more to the story that is NOT shared in the artice because it would cause the suspect to know that the police have a real good idea who it is. Maybe it was not a stranger but someone she knew...a deal gone bad...they were going to meet at that rustic pit stop that no one goes to because they know better that there's a nicer one 15 mies down the road.

Maybe it was nothing more than a really stupid carjacker. Maybe the person had absolutely no intention at all to kill her when they first took off, but then as he drove around for 12 hours, and had time to think things over, realized that he was facing a big chunk of his life behind bars if he got caught, and with the victim alive to talk, it would be easier to get caught, even if she didn't get a good look at him in the beginning. So he doesn't want to spend his life in prison....he would never get to see the open road again, go to all the spots he went to, see all that he was seeing...better kill her and hide the shell casings and gun with her when he buries her.

Or, maybe none of the above, including yours, is what really happened, but every single one of your points does have a legit alternative to your conclusions, as do mine. It's not taking the story at face value and believing every single thing we are told, it's saying it's an odd story, things don't make sense...but we aren't idiotic criminals who do dumb things that make no sense. It could be some crazy elaborate story, it could be very simple, just as the article said it was.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 09-09-2016 at 04:06 PM..

Old 09-09-2016, 04:18 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahncss View Post
I have not seen a video of someone using her credit card. If this is the case, why are there no suspects?

I noticed their gofundme goal of $10,000 has been reached and now it's close to $18,000. Instead of closing it, they are continuing to collect. The dad will take a share, being he's laid off of work and the daughter will take some for her dream wedding and expenses. Really? Taking advantage of your mom's death for you own selfish wants? Also, the brother will take some for his family. Just how much money are they expecting to raise? Am I the only one who thinks this is crazy?
I saw that comment and thought it was very tacky. I wouldn't have a problem with it if they had just said the dad (husband of the victim) was going to keep the excess to pay bills since he is unemployed, but if I had made a contribution I would have a big problem with finding out I had contributed to the daughter's "dream" wedding dress. I did notice that the vast majority of the contributions came before all the new articles shedding doubt on the mom's story about what happened.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:15 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
It's in the article linked to in this thread. You guys are ridiculously cynical, sorry.

"Authorities also said her credit card was used for two $25 purchases after the abduction — first at 4:15 p.m. at a convenience store in Kingston, Idaho, and then in Ritzville, Wash., about 60 miles southwest of Spokane on I-90, at 9:55 p.m. A camera at a convenience store captured a photograph of a possible suspect, which officials said they planned to release"

Old 09-09-2016, 05:40 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,450 times
The first article linked is old news from Wednesday night. According to the more recent linked article in the Missoulian from yesterday, "The FBI said Wednesday it had identified a potential suspect, and some news reports indicated a person had been pursued near the industrial area where Maze’s body was found. But on Thursday, a law enforcement official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said those reports were inaccurate. The official would not elaborate".

Whoever was in that convenience store footage is not a suspect or they would have actually released the footage by now.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:19 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
I am guessing the investigators are looking carefully into her medical records for any instances of mental issues or depression. Also interviewing friends, relatives, and coworkers regarding her mental state.

They will be investigating the family's financial records as well.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:21 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's in the article linked to in this thread. You guys are ridiculously cynical, sorry.

"Authorities also said her credit card was used for two $25 purchases after the abduction — first at 4:15 p.m. at a convenience store in Kingston, Idaho, and then in Ritzville, Wash., about 60 miles southwest of Spokane on I-90, at 9:55 p.m. A camera at a convenience store captured a photograph of a possible suspect, which officials said they planned to release"
No, they announced today there is no footage of a suspect and in fact no suspect at all.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:15 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
I saw that comment and thought it was very tacky. I wouldn't have a problem with it if they had just said the dad (husband of the victim) was going to keep the excess to pay bills since he is unemployed, but if I had made a contribution I would have a big problem with finding out I had contributed to the daughter's "dream" wedding dress. I did notice that the vast majority of the contributions came before all the new articles shedding doubt on the mom's story about what happened.
Funerals can be pretty expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events