Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 01:08 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
This article says ALL 5 KNEW HOW TO SWIM.
How about doing your own research, and go read an Indian news service. You know, where this actually happened? Not a wipe by the rag of the UK, that also stated this was a "beauty spot", and not an abandoned quarry that was locked and illegal to enter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
If the depth of the water is relevant, it means you can't swim.
Exactly!

If they couldn't swim in water over their head, they. could. not. swim. Period.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:10 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
How about doing your own research, and go read an Indian news service. You know, where this actually happened? Not a wipe by the rag of the UK, that also stated this was a "beauty spot", and not an abandoned quarry that was locked and illegal to enter.
How about you start doing your own, as in reading posts. You quoted the wrong person for that response.

You mean like this one??
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3dvZHFR7x0

The edges are quite steep...also there may have been a drainage grate or something that held them under. These kids were 18-20. How sad for their families.

They were just young adults/old kids out having fun and making some poor choices...which is sadly common...I know that, I have kids their ages who are "adventurous" as I was at that age.
Looks Indian to me, "RESERVOIR".

Old 09-20-2016, 01:12 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Firstly, it was a reservoir in warm country. There's no riptide, there's no hypothermia, there's no evidence there was a huge storm whipping up waves, there is no current, no evidence of drinking, close to the shore and not far away from it.

Its simplistic just to say people who know how to swim drown all the time when there are so many of those circumstances that don't apply here.

There is a good chance that either there's something wrong with the report that they knew how to swim, or there is something else going on here.
Just based upon the article it seems likely there are translational issues and like we often see in the press they get basic facts wrong all the time. I see this all the time in our own press whenever the topic gets into something I have a lot of knowledge about.

Obviously we didn't get nearly enough facts to draw any conclusion whatsoever and I trust that the local authorities there are not stupid enough to just accept the deaths of four people if they clearly shouldn't have.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:13 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird

Darwin award? Oh we are so much better sitting behind a computer we can mock their deaths! Just...Jesus Christ!

He has nothing to do with this,trust me!!

Old 09-20-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
How about you start doing your own, as in reading posts. You quoted the wrong person for that response.
I did do my own research.

In any case, it doesn't matter where it happened, the facts remain that they could not swim in water over their heads. Or maybe it's just because they are Indian, in groups of 5, that are engineering students. Because this exact same thing happened last year, which is the quarry I was referring to:

Five Bengaluru students drown in abandoned quarry - Times of India

Old 09-20-2016, 01:31 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
and how often does it happen to 4 out of 6, or maybe 5 out of 6?
It happens plenty, where someone goes to save the person and then also gets into trouble. I hear it on the news all the time, especially in the warmer months.

I guess I'm just not one to automatically believe in some conspiracy theory. With the limited information given, I'm not going to automatically jump to some crazy conclusion of a mass murderer.

I really don't see how your story that one girl killed 5 people and then dumped their bodies into the reservoir all on her own is any more believable then 5 people drowned while trying to save someone else who was drowning.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:33 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Just based upon the article it seems likely there are translational issues and like we often see in the press they get basic facts wrong all the time. I see this all the time in our own press whenever the topic gets into something I have a lot of knowledge about.

Obviously we didn't get nearly enough facts to draw any conclusion whatsoever and I trust that the local authorities there are not stupid enough to just accept the deaths of four people if they clearly shouldn't have.
Yes possibly, "The Hindu" website says they could swim. Other Indian sites don't mention whether they could or not.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:35 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I did do my own research.

In any case, it doesn't matter where it happened, the facts remain that they could not swim in water over their heads. Or maybe it's just because they are Indian, in groups of 5, that are engineering students. Because this exact same thing happened last year, which is the quarry I was referring to:

Five Bengaluru students drown in abandoned quarry - Times of India

?
Huh?

Whats it got to do with being "over their heads". If you need to stand in the water with your head above it - thats called standing. Not swimming.

What do you mean?

Old 09-20-2016, 01:37 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
What poor choices? The one who slipped on a rock, or the others that jumped in to try to help?
They had ignored signs and went where they weren't supposed to go. Not major...I did worse at their age. But might have contributed to their deaths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events