Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 10:37 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The thing is, Satanism isn't really a cult. It is an instrument used by a small subset of atheists to counter state authorized/funded religious (mainly Christian) clubs and groups.

No one except Christians belive in Satan.
Muslims believe in satan also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 10:43 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The thing is, Satanism isn't really a cult. It is an instrument used by a small subset of atheists to counter state authorized/funded religious (mainly Christian) clubs and groups.

No one except Christians belive in Satan.
It's more fun when they go with Pastafarianism...

Old 09-23-2016, 11:12 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
[/b]

Sort of like in the Excorist?
so we are now going to excoriate the Exorcist

Old 09-23-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YITYNR View Post
I agree. If only this club was actually a satin club.

But seriously, this is crazy. I believe very strongly in freedom of religion, but this is too far. Cults such as satanism should not be normalized or promoted in schools.

Why is one a cult and another a religion? If you look at all dispassionately, all are cults. Just the number of followers differ.

I believe all these cults / religions should not be promoted in any public school.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:18 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,726,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Seriously, religion does not belong in public schools. It is a government institution. I have no recollection of any Christian or Jewish clubs in my schools, ever.
My kids would be out of that school so fast it'd make your head spin.
It would only be a violation of the first amendment if they only allowed a Christian club, but forbid Muslim, Jewish or Satantic clubs. Basically, it's all or nothing.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:11 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Funny you got that on your 666th post...I assume.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5mFOk9BDTA0

Old 09-24-2016, 08:11 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Seriously, religion does not belong in public schools. It is a government institution. I have no recollection of any Christian or Jewish clubs in my schools, ever.
My kids would be out of that school so fast it'd make your head spin.
This club is not associated in any way with the institution. It merely uses the buildings after-hours when they are otherwise vacant. Public school buildings are community property and routinely used in this regard. The district and its members are uninvolved in the club. It is somewhat akin to students praying on their own between classes. As long as it is initiated by the students and faculty/administration is uninvolved, there is no issue. So it is here, with the buildings being open to clubs - whether those clubs focus on stamp-collecting community service or some holy book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YITYNR View Post
But seriously, this is crazy. I believe very strongly in freedom of religion, but this is too far. Cults such as satanism should not be normalized or promoted in schools.
Again, the school system has nothing to do with this beyond the maintenance of the facility. The community is making the buildings open to clubs regardless of content. That's the key - regardless of content. The community must not get involved in saying "This club is okey-dokey but we don't want that one here". That sort of neutrality is key. They don't conveniently slap the 'cult' label on clubs that just aren't mainstream enough.

The ACLU:
Quote:
Equal Access Act

Student religious clubs in secondary schools must be permitted to meet and to have equal access to campus media to announce their meetings, if a school receives federal funds and permits any student non-curricular club to meet during non-instructional time. This is the command of the Equal Access Act. A non-curricular club is any club not related directly to a subject taught or soon-to-be taught in the school. Although schools have the right to ban all non-curriculum clubs, they may not dodge the law's requirement by the expedient of declaring all clubs curriculum-related. On the other hand, teachers may not actively participate in club activities and "non-school persons" may not control or regularly attend club meeting.

The Act's constitutionality has been upheld by the Supreme Court, rejecting claims that the Act violates the Establishment Clause. The Act's requirements are described in more detail in The Equal Access Act and the Public Schools: Questions and Answers on the Equal Access Act, a pamphlet published by a broad spectrum of religious and civil liberties groups.
https://www.aclu.org/other/joint-sta...public-schools

Old 09-24-2016, 09:28 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
So does this mean they can have Christian after school clubs now too?
The high school I work at actually does and I am friends (well she is almost a direct co-worker since I'm a paraprofessional and she is a teacher) with one of the heads of the club. Colleges have various faith-based clubs too.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
This club is not associated in any way with the institution. It merely uses the buildings after-hours when they are otherwise vacant. Public school buildings are community property and routinely used in this regard. The district and its members are uninvolved in the club. It is somewhat akin to students praying on their own between classes. As long as it is initiated by the students and faculty/administration is uninvolved, there is no issue. So it is here, with the buildings being open to clubs - whether those clubs focus on stamp-collecting community service or some holy book.

Non involvement of teachers has been overruled by Federal court.

From WSJ

Quote:
To maintain separation of church and state, public school teachers may not promote religion during school hours. But some teachers are doing so right after their school day ends, thanks to two court rulings. In 2001, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the right of religious groups to spread their message to children in elementary schools after hours. Three years later, a federal appeals court ruled that it is legal for teachers to participate in such clubs.

Durham's superintendent of schools, Ann Denlinger, says the trend is blurring the divide between church and state. "It's unrealistic to think that elementary-age children can distinguish when their teacher during the school day all of a sudden becomes a private citizen after the school day," she says. "I'm fully aware this is the law now, but it doesn't reflect a whole lot of common sense to me or knowledge of children. De facto, you're having your school employees promoting one type of religion or another."

Old 09-24-2016, 10:37 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
So does this mean they can have Christian after school clubs now too?

You mean you were not aware of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events