Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 05:33 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
What on earth?! The monument had a big refurbishment in 2001, which included a new elevator. Then the monument was closed for almost three years after the 2011 earthquake in 2011 while it underwent extensive repairs. Why does it need to be closed for NINE MONTHS to install a new elevator?! They installed a new elevator in my office building - higher than 555 feet! -- in 2 weeks!
Depends on what they are doing. I have a building that refurbished the interiors of their elevators and each one took a couple of weeks. Then they redid the components, electrical, and hydraulics... that took 6 weeks...only four floors in this building. And it cost over 50k each elevator....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 05:53 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,425,578 times
Read the title and first thing I thought was some SJW had it shut down because Washington was a slave owner.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:02 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,090,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
It was announced that the Washington Monument will be closed indefinitely to make repairs to the elevator. This is a government property with a government repair. So, it's no surprise that when repairs finally start, IT WILL TAKE 9 MONTHS AND $3 MILLION. I wonder if an elevator in the Empire State building or any other iconic building, needed repair, would it take 9 months and $3 million?
So in reality it will be closed for a year and cost $10 million plus...lol

Old 09-28-2016, 06:39 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
Quote:
It was announced that the Washington Monument will be closed indefinitely to make repairs to the elevator. This is a government property with a government repair. So, it's no surprise that when repairs finally start, IT WILL TAKE 9 MONTHS AND $3 MILLION. I wonder if an elevator in the Empire State building or any other iconic building, needed repair, would it take 9 months and $3 million?
Given the age of the structure, I'm not surprised. We're not talking about a modern Otis elevator by any stretch of the imagination. It's not like they can close off floors like an office building to work on it. I'm also not surprised because of what the structure is and what it's made of. That poor thing sees more people in a single day than you will in your lifetime.

The Empire State Building is a BUILDING not a monument. Like I said, they can close specific floors off in a building. They also may have other elevators that can be used. And yes, elevator repairs/replacements take months and months. They are FAR from cheap. There's only a handful of companies in the country that work on elevators. Metal isn't cheap. Neither are specialized parts and training. Not anyone can go work on an elevator....this isn't like pumping gas into your car.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:46 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I hate to intrude on those who worship private industry and imagine it to be magically efficient, but I just have to ask -- have you actually worked in private industry? I have and I have to say, it positively teems with all sorts of screwed-up dysfunction.

Fact - elevators are expensive:

Chestnut Towers plagued by old, broken elevators; records show constant repairs | masslive.com

And that's for elevators in a normal residential apartment building built in the 1970s. You know what really makes elevator repair/maintenance/replacement costs skyrocket? Unusual one-off buildings. You know, like 555-foot marble obelisks. And really old buildings. You know, like ones that date all the way back to the 19th century.

You know... like the Washington Monument.
So no going on down to the local Home Depot for parts & pieces? Huh.....who would've guessed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
What on earth?! The monument had a big refurbishment in 2001, which included a new elevator. Then the monument was closed for almost three years after the 2011 earthquake in 2011 while it underwent extensive repairs. Why does it need to be closed for NINE MONTHS to install a new elevator?! They installed a new elevator in my office building - higher than 555 feet! -- in 2 weeks!
None of that had anything to do with the elevator. You work in an office BUILDING not a STONE STRUCTURE. See the difference? Your office BUILDING was also probably built far more recent than 1848 as well. This also isn't just a regular ole elevator. Does your elevator move at a snail's pace? Have an operator? Give tours?

Old 09-28-2016, 06:48 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,735,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The building from a straightforward standpoint of installing an elevator is not all that unique. There have been elevators there.. Nothing really has to change or be adapted.

The elevator ITSELF is quite unique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq40EYXXiWk

The point of this particular elevator, which is strange compared to a 'normal' elevator is not to get the most people from point A to point B the fastest.. But to get an appropriate number of people from point A to point B while slowing at interesting points during the trip.

The 'electronic windows' are a bit of a waste of money. Just make the damn things normal glass.

I wish there was a way I could get access to do the steps.. I would pay money to walk up and down those steps to see ALL the 'State Stones'

That was very cool!

Old 09-28-2016, 06:55 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,087 times
Quote:

Well, to be fair, it won't take that long for the workers to install it, the first six months will be Congress fighting about what color it should be.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:42 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
dupe

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 09-28-2016 at 09:52 PM..

Old 09-28-2016, 09:51 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Quote:
It took 40 years to build, givin lack of funding and the Civil War. It's148-188 years old dependent on the start point, ground breaking or finish.

As I understand it, no one has a clue why the elevator keeps breaking down. It was once thought it was the 2011 earthquake but that has been ruled out.

It's the private sector, not government employees who will figure it out and execute the repair. Imagine it makes sense to close it instead of entrapping passengers for an hour each time it shuts down. Then they have to identify the source of the problem.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:12 PM

1,248 posts, read 823,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Read the title and first thing I thought was some SJW had it shut down because Washington was a slave owner.
I read the title and my first thought was they had it shut down because of fear someone would blow it up together with the visitors.

Also, as I understand, there are stairs inside the monument as well. So why couldn't they just shut down elevator access and have visitors climb the stairs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events