Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 01:30 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Advertisements

I don't think anything about this is a good idea. Too many complications to be had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 01:39 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't think anything about this is a good idea. Too many complications to be had.
That's what some people probably said 35 years ago - before and after Louise Brown was born in England.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:00 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,651,283 times
I heard of this new program called "adoption".

Old 10-08-2016, 08:35 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
The cost of this procedure, anti-rejection meds and follow-ups must be enormous. Who's paying?

Old 10-08-2016, 08:42 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,182,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The cost of this procedure, anti-rejection meds and follow-ups must be enormous. Who's paying?
That's exactly what I was wondering! It does seem like a huge misappropriation of resources and money.

Last edited by Gfab1; 10-08-2016 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: additional comment

Old 10-08-2016, 10:40 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
How do you know that the chances of a healthy baby being born are very low? Is this based on your expert medical opinion and evidence based research?

As far as the anti-rejection drugs, I'm sure doctors know what is and isn't safe. People have been receiving transplants for decades, and I'm sure a fair number of women who received organ transplants have given birth.

I see this as a positive news story and a step forward in medicine.
Actually, I read scientific studies every day and analyze the statistics about them, unlike most readers who take the headlines from articles as gospel truth and don't dig into the research to determine their accuracy. The reason I said this is due to the difficulty is getting the women's body to accept the transplanted uterus in the first place, coupled with the rather low incidence of conception using in-vitro fertilization. And if the anti-rejection drugs are so safe, why are the doctors removing these transplanted uteruses after the women have two children using them?

Old 10-08-2016, 10:54 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,973,733 times
I should put a note on the list of 'parts' I will donate to medical science when I die to include my 'stretch marks' for transplant to women so obsessed with wanting to experience a pregnancy that they would have a temporary uterus installed - just in case they are unlucky enough not to acquire some if they actually get pregnant. Or they could be 'patched in' to enhance the pretending that they went through a full pregnancy while adopting or using a surrogate. They could have my C-section scar too if it makes them happy. Heck, I would be thrilled to donate those before I die if need be!

I do really get the wanting to have a child (I would never chastise anyone who truly wanted a baby and I know how hard some women have to try to get pregnant - I had 3 and I feel lucky to have been able to do so without any medical intervention) but not all of the actual carrying of the baby is 'that' much fun, and many of us have to deal with the scars long after the little darlings leave home and forget that we exist.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:51 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Four women who were born without a uterus due to a medical condition received a uterine transplant from a cadaver donor last month at Baylor University Medical Center. Of the four, just one of the surgeries appears successful, and the woman can soon look to conceive a baby. After she has two babies via in-vitro fertilization, the uterus will have to be removed so she can stop the anti organ rejection drugs.

Doctors successfully transplanted a uterus from a living donor in the US - The Verge
Is this stuff covered by Obamacare?

Old 10-08-2016, 02:04 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I'm a mother and am very supportive of people who want to have children and plan to be loving parents. However, from a strictly genetic health perspective it occurs to me that there may be good reasons why some people find it difficult to conceive and carry a child to term.

In that case perhaps nature knows better than modern medicine. There are a number of self-serving reasons why medical science may want to achieve "the impossible" that have little to do with benevolence to humanity. Sometimes sentimental feelings can take prevalence over healthy common sense.

Here's an interesting article on the syndrome which may be the cause of these women's infertility. Sounds like the possibility of passing genetic aberrations on to future generations could be a consideration:

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/ma...auser-syndrome

Old 10-08-2016, 02:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Is this stuff covered by Obamacare?
Good question and I hope not because it means we are all paying for it. I have no objection to my tax dollars going to health care that helps take care of people with illness but not something like this. I consider this an elective procedure. The patient should be responsible for the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events