Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 12:25 PM

21,700 posts, read 24,920,758 times

Advertisements

Chiro is 90% quack, 10% anecdote. I do a fair amount of personal injury stuff and every once in a while you still see some plaintiff's lawyer citing a chiropractor claiming the person's spine is out of alignment. Medically speaking, that would be a subluxation either congenital or from a fracture. Basically anyone who has any symptoms at all of anything relating to the back/neck in quack world has a subluxation. Most, of course, do not. Actual clinical studies have demonstrated no benefit of chiropractic care. I do think there is some benefit in the form of palliative care. I've had chiro a few times as a teenager and it did, temporarily, relieve pain. Sort of like a painkiller. It does nothing to treat the underlying condition but may alleviate pain while the body heals on its own. So just balancing what is worse, chiro or pharmaceutical. I'd really rather not take narcotic pain meds so if chiro provided temporary pain relief it'd be something I looked at again as ibuprofen or Tylenol does jack-diddly for pain. The cracking the neck freaks me out so I've always asked them not to do it.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:40 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,031,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Chiro is 90% quack, 10% anecdote.
Of course, that's absolutely unlike all these stories of "My friend was found dead in a chiropractor's parking lot" lol.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:03 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,305,200 times
I am so sorry that the poor woman passed away.I have never gone to a chiropractor either.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:42 PM

25,421 posts, read 17,101,865 times
While we're telling stories..

I am a long time chiropractic user. I have gone for about 30 years and now I go about 6 times a year.

Tendonitis! Left elbow. It was chronic and it hurt.
Doctor put me on steroids and I went crazy!..... I mowed the yard first N-S and then E-W because it didn't look good enough to me. I got out the rug shampooer and shampooed all the rugs in the house. Then I got a bucket of water and soap and scrubbed all the baseboards! Wife says that if I had had the shingles on hand I would have re-shingled the house.

So she mentions the problem to the chiropractor; he says drop by.

He shows me on a model what the problem is. Then he takes my wrist, straightens my arm and taps my elbow gently to "over travel" the joint. Pain gone. Then he shows me how to do it myself. No problem since. 6 years.

My chiropractor does not make appointments. If you need to go, he's open. I've never been there more than 5 minutes at a time. No receptionist; no "4 times a week"; no appointments.
More chiropractors should run their practice like him.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:32 PM

23,135 posts, read 28,892,977 times
I worked back-office in a Chiropractic Clinic in Phoenix for a year back in 1996, and after working there, I'd never have a Chiropractor touch me! This "Doctor" told me there were some unethical chiropractors who will do some kind of an adjustment, that will have you coming back year after year.

Every chiropractor has their favorite personal injury attorney they refer patients to, and every personal injury attorney has their favorite chiropractor to send their clients to. It's a racket, pure and simple!

I used to feel so sorry for some of these accident victims where she'd have them coming back day after day after day, week after week, unnecessarily, just to rape the insurance company!

Working there I felt like I was abetting a criminal!

Old 10-25-2016, 12:42 AM

21,700 posts, read 24,920,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I worked back-office in a Chiropractic Clinic in Phoenix for a year back in 1996, and after working there, I'd never have a Chiropractor touch me! This "Doctor" told me there were some unethical chiropractors who will do some kind of an adjustment, that will have you coming back year after year.

Every chiropractor has their favorite personal injury attorney they refer patients to, and every personal injury attorney has their favorite chiropractor to send their clients to. It's a racket, pure and simple!

I used to feel so sorry for some of these accident victims where she'd have them coming back day after day after day, week after week, unnecessarily, just to rape the insurance company!

If the alternative is opioids, sign me up for the chiro. For many people, that's the reality. Either they get chiropractic for temporary relief or swallow them some Norcos until Norco no longer is effective and they march up the morphine ladder to stronger and stronger drugs. If the racket works to temporarily relief pain by perpetually returning with no hope of improvement, beats swallowing narcotics in ever increasing quantities by a long shot.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:31 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,884,000 times
Quote:

I think there are some medical doctors that have shady practices also. They seem intent on getting a person on as many medications as possible. Sometimes another medication to combat side effects of previously prescribed pill.

You have to wonder if they get a cut from all the medications prescribed.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:03 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,031,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I think there are some medical doctors that have shady practices also.
Just this past spring my 4yr old nephew fell and broke his arm. I went with him and his mother to the urgent care and I saw the x-rays, and heard the doctor tell her it was a simple greenstick fracture.. They put him in a splint and called an Orthopedist for a permanent cast.

The next day she called me up absolutely horrified because this doctor said he needed to operate. Had some big medical reason that he told her, and that it was imperative that he operate - the sooner the better.

So she got a second opinion, and this doctor put a cast on and called it a day. Six weeks later the cast came off and my nephew was good as new. So what reason could there possibly be to cut into the arm of a four year old child when all he needed was a cast - like millions of other children have gotten? Of course it cold NEVER be insurance money, could it... A $20k operation vs a $300 cast? No, of course not.. regular doctors are totally legit and only have their patient's well being in mind.

Only chiros are bad because somebody knows somebody who died in a chiro's office, and they bill insurance companies.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:16 AM

16,386 posts, read 12,387,691 times
Quote:
Every? Hardly. Maybe the one you worked for did.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:52 AM

9,806 posts, read 7,623,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
While we're telling stories..

I am a long time chiropractic user. I have gone for about 30 years and now I go about 6 times a year.

Tendonitis! Left elbow. It was chronic and it hurt.
Doctor put me on steroids and I went crazy!..... I mowed the yard first N-S and then E-W because it didn't look good enough to me. I got out the rug shampooer and shampooed all the rugs in the house. Then I got a bucket of water and soap and scrubbed all the baseboards! Wife says that if I had had the shingles on hand I would have re-shingled the house.

So she mentions the problem to the chiropractor; he says drop by.

He shows me on a model what the problem is. Then he takes my wrist, straightens my arm and taps my elbow gently to "over travel" the joint. Pain gone. Then he shows me how to do it myself. No problem since. 6 years.

My chiropractor does not make appointments. If you need to go, he's open. I've never been there more than 5 minutes at a time. No receptionist; no "4 times a week"; no appointments.
More chiropractors should run their practice like him.
Sounds like the one I used to go to. I may drive to Mississippi, if this is where he is, next time we have a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events