U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 08:10 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,321,273 times

Advertisements

I now know why my family was thrilled that the only truly major mistake I made at age 18 was to get married. At least in most cases that is survivable.

I truly feel for the family of this young man. They may have some culpability (did they supply the gun? did they sanction this kind of activity? did they not parent well? who knows) so they may have some guilt as well as the agony of going through the loss of their child, but even if they were model parents, this is still a horrendous experience for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 08:48 AM

5,459 posts, read 2,920,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Eighteen year olds never think anything bad is actually going to happen to them. They're "invincible" at that age. What a horrible intro to Reality. I feel very bad for his family.
That is very true--the invincible part. Until about 23 then you start realizing you aren't so invincible.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:54 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
The name isn't meant to be taken literally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Awards

Old 10-22-2016, 09:01 AM

815 posts, read 461,456 times
I really struggle with compassion sometimes. Heart goes out to the family though...

Old 10-22-2016, 09:25 AM

2,761 posts, read 1,101,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I now know why my family was thrilled that the only truly major mistake I made at age 18 was to get married. At least in most cases that is survivable.
Yeah. But, most of what we did, regardless of how stupid it was, did not involve pointing a gun at our heads point blank and pulling the trigger.

That's beyond stupid.

Which raises, as others have done, the question of whether the young man had a death wish.

Quote:
I truly feel for the family of this young man.
Absolutely.

Quote:
They may have some culpability (did they supply the gun? did they sanction this kind of activity? did they not parent well? who knows) so they may have some guilt as well as the agony of going through the loss of their child, but even if they were model parents, this is still a horrendous experience for them.
Nah.

The guy was 18. I know that the decision-making part of the brain is still forming at 18. But, I knew the possible consequences of pointing a gun at my head point blank and pulling the trigger at well before 18.

If the guy was seriously suicidal, there is little anyone could do to stop him.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:27 AM

7,379 posts, read 13,342,091 times
What do you win when you win at Russian roulette that you didn't already have before?

Old 10-22-2016, 10:07 AM

14,370 posts, read 7,913,715 times
Oh lord that brings back a very unpleasant memory. There was a 16 year old that came in alive to our ER with a gun shot wound to the chest. It seems his friend was pointing the gun randomly at his friends pulling the trigger and he was the unlucky one. I'll never forget the panic on his face when he looked at me and said "I can't breath." He died right there in front of me and the ER doc opened his chest a second later. The blood they had hung just flowed out of his chest and they just couldn't repair the damage enough to stabilize him for the OR. It was a very traumatic experience that left me weak at the knees and fighting back the tears.

I don't understand how this whole gun situation has gotten so far out of control and my heart sinks every time I see an innocent face snuffed out by gun violence. Something needs to be done because these rectums are irresponsible, careless, and heartless. I'll never forget that young man because I was the last person he saw before his short life was senselessly taken. There has to be a way to stop this. Sometimes I think too much freedom is not such a good thing. Especially when we've proven time and time again that we are incapable of handling it responsibly.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:13 AM

8,450 posts, read 5,807,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes quite stupid!!!!

If the gun didnt fire WHY DID HE PRESS IT AGAIN??

Stupid as anything......
A better question is.... why did he pull the trigger the first time?

I have never understood why anyone would do something so inherently stupid as to put a loaded firearm to their head, for any reason other than suicide. A game? To prove how brave you are? You certainly don't prove anything close to bravery by venting your brain with a lead projectile. Just the lack of good judgment is all that's displayed. And I don't buy the excuse that 18 year olds don't have fully developed brains or thinking skills. I'd be willing to bet that 99.99% of 18 yr olds would not play Russian Roulette for any reason. They know better, and this kid did as well. But stupidity rears it's ugly head all too often. I would not be surprised to hear about someone clueless about guns attempting to play Russian Roulette with a clip fed semi-automatic pistol, where the odds of 'winning' are absolute zero.

A tragedy indeed, and my heart goes out to his family.

Last edited by catdad7x; 10-22-2016 at 10:22 AM..

Old 10-22-2016, 10:14 AM

6,235 posts, read 5,894,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Another Darwin award recipient.

First time the gun didn't fire, so he pulled the trigger again.

18-year-old dies after Russian Roulette-style game at party | Fox News
I wish I could say to bad......

Old 10-22-2016, 10:17 AM

26,160 posts, read 15,349,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird

I wonder if he was suicidal or drunk/high though.
He must have been to pull it twice..... Arent ya suppose to PULL IT ONCE and then pass it to the next player??

Very stupid game........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or