U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 12:22 PM

3,826 posts, read 1,978,155 times

Advertisements

Deceptive advertising is a crime. Good for the man who is standing up to it... and his lawyer too. It isn't about the 41-cents. It's about the principle. Multiply that 41-cents by millions of Value Meals sold every week. None of us should be expected to carry a calculator and an accountant everywhere we shop.

We've all purchased Value Meals. I hope it's Class Action lawsuit where all customers benefit.

Old 12-25-2016, 12:24 PM

13,106 posts, read 24,889,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I'm wondering why a lawsuit. Did the guy even attempt to reach out to McDonalds and make them aware of the issue or was his first action to call a lawyer and then the media?
I hope that he does not 'win big' since he says it's about principles. I do hope he is successful in getting the company to make certain that franchise owners don't pull these sorts of deceptive stunts in the future.
Agree!!! Ask the manager and if no results contact corporate McDonalds, this imo does not call for a lawsuit.
And as we all know it will never get to court, McDonalds Franchise will settle and that is what he is looking for.

When travelling with a pet I booked a Red Roof somewhere near Atlanta, I checked in and then checked right out as it was NOTHING like Red Roof advertises, it was a crack motel.
Did I sue for deceptive advertising, hell no, I wrote a letter to RED Roof corporate to check out this franchise.

Last edited by njkate; 12-25-2016 at 12:32 PM..

Old 12-25-2016, 12:25 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,170,983 times
When a McDonalds has a sign that says "McDouble and Small Fries, 2 for $3", if it were honest advertising, it would mean you get 2 combinations, each with a McDouble and small fries, for a total of $3. But if it's not honest advertising, what it might actually mean is that you get two different items, both mentioned, one, a McDouble, and the other, a small fries, for a total of $3. But nobody every sues them about that, do they?

Old 12-25-2016, 12:28 PM

13,106 posts, read 24,889,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Deceptive advertising is a crime. Good for the man who is standing up to it... and his lawyer too. It isn't about the 41-cents. It's about the principle. Multiply that 41-cents by millions of Value Meals sold every week. None of us should be expected to carry a calculator and an accountant everywhere we shop.

We've all purchased Value Meals. I hope it's Class Action lawsuit where all customers benefit.
This was done by a local McDonalds franchise, not McDonalds as a whole

Old 12-25-2016, 12:52 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 20 days ago)

10,485 posts, read 14,320,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
When a McDonalds has a sign that says "McDouble and Small Fries, 2 for $3", if it were honest advertising, it would mean you get 2 combinations, each with a McDouble and small fries, for a total of $3. But if it's not honest advertising, what it might actually mean is that you get two different items, both mentioned, one, a McDouble, and the other, a small fries, for a total of $3. But nobody every sues them about that, do they?
No, not really. That's too ambiguous. Maybe if it said McDouble and Small Fry Combo, 2 for $3" you'd have a point, but the way it's worded I think most reasonably intelligent people would deduce it meant two items for $3

Old 12-25-2016, 01:54 PM

94 posts, read 50,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It's not frivolous. It's deceptive advertising. And P L E N T Y of companies and corporations do it at the expense of consumers. If you bought that value meal every week for a year you gave them $21.32 additional money in their pocket. Now X that with 1 million sales. So a additional profit of .41 for every sale of that meal and advertising it as value meal when it's anything but. Advertizing a value is supposed to be a value. That means it should be cheaper than buying each item separately.

I hope the guy wins freaking BIG.
That's exactly the explanation I was given for how much money McDonalds makes when you "Super size it" when I was in school. How many value meals are sold every single minute world-wide. Same with Coca-Cola. how many millions of gallons (!!!) are sold.. every. Minute. World-wide... all profit, or extra profit....

It's only so much more so now, that was true in the 80s and 90s.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:56 PM

94 posts, read 50,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
No, not really. That's too ambiguous. Maybe if it said McDouble and Small Fry Combo, 2 for $3" you'd have a point, but the way it's worded I think most reasonably intelligent people would deduce it meant two items for $3
McDonalds advertises "Let me get a McPick2" .. 2 for $2.50. If I went in there and said I want two large-size #7 Combos for $2.50 because I saw a sign outside "2 for $2.50," would I have a case?

I'm sure SOMEONE has tried this before. Like the customers that say "The other McDonalds takes Food Stamps," like we are all freaking dur-durrr STUPID. There may be nothing a store can do about those that stay in a supermarket and read the whole magazine and newspaper and then put it back, these tend to be the rudest of customers that do this, but as to legality, heh, yeah.. but, now that you have me wondering.. How WOULD a Manager handle this, and other ridiculous customer claims?

I will be a Manager of sorts someday, starting as Supervisor, so it would be helpful to know CORRECT procedure. I've seen many versions that were NOT correct.

Old 12-25-2016, 02:14 PM

2,322 posts, read 1,762,582 times
people .. look up the meaning of value .. it does not mean cheaper ... it means the worth of something .. it is no crime to call a 3$ meal a value meal when it is priced at 3$ .. it is no crime to call it a regular meal when it is also priced at 3$ ..Value does not mean cheap ...

Old 12-25-2016, 04:07 PM

4,508 posts, read 2,123,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
You want to see them stop? Take away the ability to file on a contingency basis. Make the ones that want to sue pay upfront.
No. Not everyone with a valid suit can pay a lawyer up front.

What kind of lawyer would take a case such as this on contingency, anyway? Unless he's just trying to get practice time in, it would be a waste of time. Time is money.

ALL lawsuits should be paid for by the loser. Court costs, attorney fees, subpoenas, everything.

But definitely don't take away contingency.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:09 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,935,832 times
I don't go to McDonalds except for coffee. Why? The food is just short of inedible, but also, the pricing. If you order a la carte it is just about the stupidest pricing I've ever seen. Other places do it too. All (I suppose) to make that final "total" number at the register as high as possible, regardless of what the customer came there for. Its rule number one in business these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events