Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 07:11 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If you are saying it shouldn't happen, I agree, but if you are claiming it doesn't happen I think there is ample evidence to the contrary

Just that it shouldn't happen, and that the assertion that prosecutors can do whatever they want and have immunity for it is false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 07:58 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
We have a good local one. Turns out we have been getting many to plead guilty to possession of narcotics by a field chem test that is cheap but unreliable. There is a definitive lab test but it takes a laboratory and time. Turns out every one knows the test stinks but they lock someone up and hold them with relatively high bail. The result is the person pleads guilty to get out of jail. The authorities then discard the evidence without ever testing it in the laboratory. In practice something like 8 of 4000 samples were ever properly tested.

And this has been known for a while and still continues. Now a big controversy on how to proceed. Proper thing would be to reverse all and return fines and such and maybe provide some compensation. But that will cost a lot. So it goes on uncorrected.
Somehow I'm not surprised

Old 01-01-2017, 09:16 PM

997 posts, read 937,105 times
I think they were right and he was under the influence of something besides Caffeine. I don't know what kind of body building illegal drugs there are, but there are some. The Caffeine charge is bit weak, but that was all they had. Maybe they were hoping to build a better case or something.

He got reckless driving, but I think the concern was for public safety. It wasn't frivolous.

I don't know, but I assume they knew something was up. Some people are whacked out without drugs, but they suspected a substance was responsible for his behavior.

It isn't even out of the question for someone to have an unusual reaction to any chemical.

They cannot outlaw our Starbucks.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:27 PM

10 posts, read 9,132 times
Default DUI Under the influence of tea

It's a shame it took so long for the prosecutor to dismiss that case. There is a famous case here in California that involved arresting, prosecuting, and then appealing after conviction someone that was driving under the influence of a tea popular in the Pacific islands, Kava Kava.

Moderator cut.

The argument, in that case, was made under religious grounds, which ended up being a failure at the appeals court. But the policies of most prosecutors are to try to get a DUI conviction wherever they can, even for tea (or caffeine, in the case involved in this thread).

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-29-2017 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: New members may not post links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events