Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 10:38 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Bingo.
How stupid could these people have been to build a nuclear plant right near a coastal area??
San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant and Diablo Canyon Power Plant are both along a coast, and they are not the only ones.

San Onofre https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_On...rating_Station

Diablo Canyon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo..._NPP_above.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 10:58 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Source? Are these like the "tobacco scientists"?

Because the Russians and others have dumped nuke waste in the ocean over that way for decades and it's a HUGE ocean.

National geographic had a nice article on it a year or so ago and frankly the claim smacks of coming from some sort of crackpot website like naturalnews or alex jones.
I'm pinning my hopes on the big ocean thing. I'm also old enough to no longer care. No, yes, I care about pollution, but I really like salty water. I'm going in.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:22 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Source? Are these like the "tobacco scientists"?

Because the Russians and others have dumped nuke waste in the ocean over that way for decades and it's a HUGE ocean.

National geographic had a nice article on it a year or so ago and frankly the claim smacks of coming from some sort of crackpot website like naturalnews or alex jones.
Since nat geo got bought out by Fox news, well, I don't find them newsworthy anymore.

much more believable is this Guardian article-

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-2011-meltdown

It is currently (mostly) contained but at some point it will have to be dealt with- and it rounds counter to intelligence to believe that at some point radiation isn't going to affect the west coast...

Old 02-09-2017, 12:17 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,467,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Since nat geo got bought out by Fox news, well, I don't find them newsworthy anymore.

much more believable is this Guardian article-

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-2011-meltdown

Might want to rethink who your media champions are there/who you view as "trustworthy":
Media bias is real, finds UCLA political scientist | UCLA

Book: Liberal Media Distorts News Bias | US News
"Fox News is clearly more conservative than ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC and National Public Radio. Some will conclude that 'therefore, this means that Fox News has a conservative bias,'" he writes in an advance copy provided to Washington Whispers. "Instead, maybe it is centrist, and possibly even left-leaning, while all the others are far left. It's like concluding that six-three is short just because it is short compared to professional basketball players."
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
It is currently (mostly) contained but at some point it will have to be dealt with- and it rounds counter to intelligence to believe that at some point radiation isn't going to affect the west coast..."
Not sure what your definition of "contained" is but it appears far from that with the latest reports coming out.

And according to this back several years ago:

West Coast of North America to Be Hit Hard by Fukushima Radiation

"The University of Hawaii’s International Pacific Research Center created a graphic showing the projected dispersion of debris from Japan:"

Last edited by stevek64; 02-09-2017 at 12:50 AM..

Old 02-09-2017, 12:36 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
All I know is since 2013, there are always job openings in Japan. Some appear tempting but I'll be like: naah. Rather not glow inthe dark.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:40 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant and Diablo Canyon Power Plant are both along a coast, and they are not the only ones.

San Onofre https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_On...rating_Station

Diablo Canyon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo..._NPP_above.jpg

So your point seems to be that California was also stupid for building a nuke plant on the shore?
I agree.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:33 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
please don't pursue partisan politics/media in this thread

Old 02-09-2017, 05:24 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
please don't pursue partisan politics/media in this thread
I wasn't.
The point was made that California also built nuclear facilities near the shoreline.
A very bad move!!!

Old 02-09-2017, 05:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Fake news meant solely to scare people

Old 02-09-2017, 05:52 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I wasn't.
The point was made that California also built nuclear facilities near the shoreline.
A very bad move!!!
My moderator's note was a general warning based on exchanges by others further up the thread - it followed your most recent post but wasn't directed to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events