Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 03:53 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times

Advertisements

12 year old boy from Elgin, Illinois (a Chicago suburb) was beaten in school by another classmate when he accidentally bumped into him! Injuries were so bad that he had to be put into a medically induced coma! Truly sickening! My question is, where were these teachers during all of this? The other boy had a history of reckless behavior.

Chicago boy Henry Sembdner wakes from coma, back home after school hallway beating - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 04:57 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
I was thinking about how when I was in highschool (in the early 90's), we had fights in school, but I do not remember ever having something so violent like this happen in my school. I remember seeing a few scuffles between boys and I myself got in a fight with a girl (nothing more than a few punches thrown). I feel like things have just totally escalated in school fights.

I remember reading an article a few years ago about a sophmore who set a girl on fire in the girls bathroom. He had poured gasoline on her over the stall she was in and lit a match and dropped it on her. She lived, but was severly burned. He did it because she didn't want to go out with him. I also remember hearing about two boys who beat another boy so bad that they broke his skull. They did that because this boy was what they considered a nerd.

What has happened that kids are just growing so violent? I mean to think that this kid beat another kid so bad that they had to put him in an induced coma....over something as simple as bumping into him. I just don't understand.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:43 PM

As a mom of an elementary child and a middle school child this is very disturbing. Some of it is obviously how children are raised and the environment their raised in, but I also think that if a child this young is capable of something so horrible there must be some other issues there mentally.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:50 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
I think it's high time parents were held accountable for what their little "angels" do. Teachers are not policemen.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:53 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Teachers should not have to deal with the trash that enters the classroom. Parents of "said" violent snowflake should have to post a bond if the turd goes nuts and threatens anyone. There should also be a one strike rule. You hurt someone, bye bye.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:41 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab
12 year old boy from Elgin, Illinois (a Chicago suburb) was beaten in school by another classmate when he accidentally bumped into him!
Thats horrible........ You cant even accidently bump into someone now

I hope he will be ok!!!!!

Old 02-09-2017, 09:57 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
A little perspective would be in order!

This country has more than 320,000,000 people. If 1/20 are in high school, that's 12,000,000 high schoolers. Now consider that these events are apparently some of the most newsworthy recently.

So let's say there were 6 events on this scale in the last month. That wold be 1 per 2,000,000 per month. That's like the odds of winning a state lottery. Divide that by a 36-month high school career and it's one in 55,000 kids having something that bad happen in high school -- still extremely rare.

I've heard nothing to suggest that this is a trend, or any worse than any past decade. But we hear about this stuff more, because people like to read about freak occurrences and it sells ads.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:28 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
12 year old boy from Elgin, Illinois (a Chicago suburb) was beaten in school by another classmate when he accidentally bumped into him! Injuries were so bad that he had to be put into a medically induced coma! Truly sickening! My question is, where were these teachers during all of this? The other boy had a history of reckless behavior.

Chicago boy Henry Sembdner wakes from coma, back home after school hallway beating - CBS News
The perp had no controlling parents. It's how society has chosen to be the norm in a subgroup of our population.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
A little perspective would be in order!

This country has more than 320,000,000 people. If 1/20 are in high school, that's 12,000,000 high schoolers. Now consider that these events are apparently some of the most newsworthy recently.

So let's say there were 6 events on this scale in the last month. That wold be 1 per 2,000,000 per month. That's like the odds of winning a state lottery. Divide that by a 36-month high school career and it's one in 55,000 kids having something that bad happen in high school -- still extremely rare.

I've heard nothing to suggest that this is a trend, or any worse than any past decade. But we hear about this stuff more, because people like to read about freak occurrences and it sells ads.
I wasn't suggesting this is a trend, just that this is quite disturbing that this would happen in middle school. The child is in 7th grade, not high school. Furthermore, the child who beat him had previous problems at the school, so as a parent it's very concerning that schools are not more prepared to deal with children with behavioral problems.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:07 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
This is horrible. My nephew in 1st & part of 2nd grade was very bad. Got in fights, cursing. The school called my SIL every few weeks to complain & every time she said "oh I don't know what happened, he is not like that". But he was like that, he did all that in the street and playground. I thought she needed to be tougher with him. Luckily he has grown out of it this year & seems to be perfect behaving kid. But I agree parents need to manage their kids & discipline them. However, at certain stage like this kid beating someone up so bad, it might be beyond parents hand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events