U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 11:08 AM

1,514 posts, read 999,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This reminds me of my grandfather's funeral. He hadn't darkened the doors of a church in decades. He left a string of ex wives and at least one illegitimate child in his wake. In his youth, he had looks, charm and money and he rode that wave as long as he could, but eventually he ran out of all three.

My dad decided to be a decent sort and give him a small but tasteful funeral in the tiny country church that my dad's grandparents had attended so many years ago. Preacher was included.

Now this preacher had never met my grandfather. He knew nothing redeeming about him. And yet he got up there and talked about my grandfather as if he was St Jude or the Apostle Paul!
Thanks for the reminder!

My family has an ailing relative who is the mirror image of your relative. Though not a criminal per se, he led a shallow, self centered and sexually manipulative life. His adult daughter has been estranged from him for years. I need to make a strong mental note that if the funeral falls on us, we need to any clergy not to eulogize the guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 11:48 AM

44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Thanks for the reminder!

My family has an ailing relative who is the mirror image of your relative. Though not a criminal per se, he led a shallow, self centered and sexually manipulative life. His adult daughter has been estranged from him for years. I need to make a strong mental note that if the funeral falls on us, we need to any clergy not to eulogize the guy.
Well, amen to that.

Just because someone's dead now doesn't mean they weren't a class A jerk when they were alive.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:17 PM

4,508 posts, read 2,120,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Of course, none of us know for sure if this man did or did not possess any redeeming qualities. But it does sound like his bad behavior/traits far outweighed any good he (possibly) did, therefore the less than complimentary obit.
It sounds to me like he didn't leave his obit writers any money or worldly goods.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:23 PM

15,847 posts, read 6,238,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
I can see both point of views. I think the best course of action would have been to just taken out an obituary stating that the person was deceased. If anybody asked, I would have told them that no funeral and no memorial service was planned.
I can well understand the temptation to "tell it like it is" when someone's safety isn't at risk.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:30 AM

11,584 posts, read 3,963,981 times
He will be sorely missed by the local bars and liquor stores and contributed to the local area by keeping these establishments in full employment.

Amen

Old 06-06-2018, 12:05 PM

15,847 posts, read 6,238,293 times
Default More Fun With Toxic Obituaties

For more fun with toxic obituaries see Mother's obituary - won't be missed by Gina and Jay .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or