U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 09:52 AM

919 posts, read 587,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I love these obits! Seems like when people die they are always remembered at the funeral as being wonderful and kind people who were loved by everyone when sometimes the exact opposite is true.
Hypocrisy sometimes enjoys its own renaissance during a funeral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 10:01 AM

4,363 posts, read 3,240,667 times
I've been to a funeral or two where most of the family hated the deceased. However, the general sentiment was one of quiet relief.

But this obituary takes the cake. Wow! Obviously this man's behavior was really, really over the top.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:02 AM

32,438 posts, read 17,770,914 times
A close friend of mine died and his wife wrote his obit as: "*** left behind wife and children." And that was it. No mention of his life accomplishments or surviving family members.

Those of us who knew him knew he left his wife and 6 kids. Later in life he became a christian and moved back in with his wife. But it was a painful marriage with constant arguing.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:09 AM

44,922 posts, read 36,220,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I love these obits! Seems like when people die they are always remembered at the funeral as being wonderful and kind people who were loved by everyone when sometimes the exact opposite is true.
True.

This reminds me of my grandfather's funeral. He hadn't darkened the doors of a church in decades. He left a string of ex wives and at least one illegitimate child in his wake. In his youth, he had looks, charm and money and he rode that wave as long as he could, but eventually he ran out of all three.

We really weren't sure what to do with him when he finally died (his last year he thought I was one of his ex wives and consequently I got more positive attention from him in that year than I had my entire life - though it always made me nervous that he might make a pass at me). My dad was his only recognized child so we were sort of stuck with the whole funeral thing.

My dad decided to be a decent sort and give him a small but tasteful funeral in the tiny country church that my dad's grandparents had attended so many years ago. Preacher was included.

Now this preacher had never met my grandfather. He knew nothing redeeming about him. And yet he got up there and talked about my grandfather as if he was St Jude or the Apostle Paul!

The bizarre thing is - I am almost ashamed to tell this, but I got the giggles during this diatribe. Of course, I was horrified at myself, but the more I tried not to laugh, the more it bubbled up inside me. It started because I noticed a certain verbal effect that this country preacher had - a sort of lilt at the end of each sentence, like an extra syllable or something added to the last word.

Then I made the fatal mistake of cutting my eyes over to my oldest son (who was about 14 at the time) at the exact instant the preacher did it again - and OMG. HE started to laugh - silently of course, but his shoulders up next to mine started shaking...then mine started shaking...and just about the time we'd get it under control, the preacher would do it AGAIN and we'd be sitting there side by side, with our heads bowed, hands pressed against our mouths, shaking like leaves on a tree!

THEN...as if that wasn't bad enough (we both actually started sweating as we tried our best not to burst into peals of laughter), my cousin down at the end of the pew felt the pew shaking...and she very solemnly passed a box of tissues down the pew. Bless her heart, she thought we were crying!

That just about completely did me in. At that point, the preacher was ready for the family to walk past the coffin for one last look and then exit left. I don't know how I made it up there - and I certainly wasn't paying my last respects! As soon as I got out that door and into the little holding area for family, my mother, who also thought I'd been crying, opened both her arms to fold me in a big hug and she said, "Poor baby - I had no idea you would be so upset!"

That was IT. My son and I burst into a weird sort of screaming laughter and began laughing so hard we actually DID start crying!

Oh my gosh. Good times!

Old 02-11-2017, 11:32 AM

6,353 posts, read 7,833,116 times
He did serve a purpose in life - if only to be held up as a bad example!
I remember a comedian named Moms Mably. Apparently, she had a bad relationship with an ex and when he passed away, she commented that she had been brought up to believe that you only said good things about the deceased. "He's dead", said Moms, "good!"

As for this type of obituary, if it brings the family healing, who am I to say it's wrong? But if the deceased was as bad as they claim, certainly everyone who knew him was aware of his flaws. Sadly, the obituary itself brings the deceased recognition he didn't deserve. Better to just state -

- John Jones, born xx-xx-xxxx; died xx-xx-xxxx -

Old 02-11-2017, 11:52 AM

26,160 posts, read 15,373,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan
he paid taxes
Well he was forced into that otherwise I doubt he would have done that!

Old 02-11-2017, 12:00 PM

2,133 posts, read 985,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Sounds like he was a lifelong alcoholic and mentally ill. They can certainly cause a lot of pain to the people around them. Glad we are understanding the mentally ill better now than they did when this man (and his family) could have been helped.
Maybe he was simply no-good. Not all nasty people are 'mentally ill.'

Last edited by toosie; 02-11-2017 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: Edited word choice - TOS

Old 02-11-2017, 12:05 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,507,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Some people just deserve to die. Not much good to say on the Obituary.

Texas man

I bet he had a lot of friends, and something tells me they all got many fond memories out of that.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:38 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,518,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Sounds like he was a lifelong alcoholic and mentally ill. They can certainly cause a lot of pain to the people around them. Glad we are understanding the mentally ill better now than they did when this man (and his family) could have been helped.
If he didn't want help, I'm afraid not much could have been done.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:11 PM

44,922 posts, read 36,220,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
If he didn't want help, I'm afraid not much could have been done.
This exactly.

And my brother, who is seriously mentally ill with schizophrenia, and is a big believer in meds and therapy, will be the first to tell you that being mentally ill doesn't absolve you of the responsibility not to be a jerk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or