U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 01:30 AM

8,224 posts, read 10,789,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
I saw that once. Traveled MIL's viewing/funeral. THe only one's there were immediate family. Not one neighbor/church member/town folk showed up. It was creepy.
What is so creepy about that?

My immediate family has 200 members;also not everyone is good at making friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 02:00 AM

6,000 posts, read 6,854,178 times
There was a great episode on the old TV show "Vegas," where a person was so disliked, she died and the main actors held a service in a hotel bathroom, and then flushed her ashes down the toilet.

Personally, I have a brass spitoon I've been saving to have mounted on my grave.

So the dancers don't slip...

Old 02-13-2017, 02:32 AM

13,612 posts, read 10,305,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This exactly.

And my brother, who is seriously mentally ill with schizophrenia, and is a big believer in meds and therapy, will be the first to tell you that being mentally ill doesn't absolve you of the responsibility not to be a jerk.
Most of the mentally ill people that I've met are actually pretty nice. A-holery does not have a pre-requisite of mental illness. This obituary was tacky. If the guy was a jackass, they should have told him when he was alive. This was the ultimate in passive aggressive.

On your story about laughing at a funeral? I was at one for a co-worker's wife, and the pastor was at a solemn part of the eulogy. All of a sudden the boss' cell phone goes off- and his ring tone is the Mexican Hat Dance.

Da dana da dana........

Old 02-13-2017, 06:59 AM

35,269 posts, read 19,297,794 times
Wink Texas manís obituary: He did not contribute to society

Yup.

Down here Texas way, we got us a few like that 'un.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:18 AM

82 posts, read 50,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
I think it's sad that someone felt the need to post that publicly. I'm old school. I believe if you can't say something nice about someone then don't say anything at all.

Exactly what I was going to say. Can't believe everything you read. With family like that, no wonder he did not get along with them. I'm surprised the newspaper would even print an obit like that.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:27 AM

44,840 posts, read 36,186,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Oh my gosh, that was hilarious!!!!!!!

Old 02-13-2017, 07:58 AM

5 posts, read 1,815 times
It seems cowardly to me to destroy this man's reputation after he's dead and can't respond to the allegations. Also, this obit was written, apparently, by one person, his daughter. She is coming across as if the whole family is in agreement with her, but we really don't know that for sure. For all we know, she's the only one who feels this way about her dad (doubtful, but we really don't know.)

Old 02-13-2017, 08:57 AM

14,699 posts, read 8,490,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Good question! I "believe" that when viewing a person's entire life we need to objectively and rationally conclude that at some point a kind gesture was exhibited.Or do You believe that from birth to death this person had no such moment being achieved? I don't discount it if that is what is being alluded.
So I'm still not getting the point. If the guy was a total jerk the majority of his life and nice 10% of his life, why publish a fake obituary saying how nice he was? He was still a jerk, mathematically speaking. If honesty is supposedly so important to people, and people say that it is, because they claim they don't lie all the time and they wouldn't marry a liar, there is no reason to hide the fact that the person was evil.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:00 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,108,422 times
I agree with elliedee in principle "I think it's sad that someone felt the need to post that publicly. I'm old school. I believe if you can't say something nice about someone then don't say anything at all.
"
but in this case reading it, I support it 100%.

Some people are just that awful and after putting up with that person for a lifetime and trying to help and having folks outside the family judge you, well it must be a relief.

I know my brother was emotionally abusive and when I told him I was not going to speak to him anymore a friend of my bro's came up to me and had the nerve to say "why are you causing your family so much distress by not speaking to your brother?" You have to deal with idiots like that along with the original abuse.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:01 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,108,422 times
Default I think he destroyed his own rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrencevilleRocks View Post
It seems cowardly to me to destroy this man's reputation after he's dead and can't respond to the allegations. Also, this obit was written, apparently, by one person, his daughter. She is coming across as if the whole family is in agreement with her, but we really don't know that for sure. For all we know, she's the only one who feels this way about her dad (doubtful, but we really don't know.)
I don't think he had a rep to destroy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or