Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 07:40 PM

504 posts, read 300,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
Why was Ashton Kutcher testifying in that kind of a hearing? Did he have personal experience with human trafficking? Was his expertise in that arena far greater than most other people that the committee may not have heard of (because they are not celebrities)? Why is his opinion valued so much that he would be there at all?

Note: I can't watch the youtube because my bandwidth isn't sufficient right now. Was all the above explained in it? I can't comment on his 'performance' because I can't see it but he is an actor, after all .. so I would expect him to play the role of whatever it was that he was called upon to play reasonably authentically.
He is a venture capitalist specializing in internet startups like AirBnB, and his foundation, THORN, has developed software that helps law enforcement drastically improve the time to stop trafficking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 08:01 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I doubt his sincerity considering recent comments he has made at awards ceremonies. I think perhaps he is trying to give an appearance of legitimacy so he can avoid the usual criticisms when making out of place comments in the future.
I think he may be sincere about this but he will also make a ton of money if his software is bought a bigger company or by all the police dept.s in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
...snipped.....

I really don't enjoy much about Angela Jolie, but I have read that she -- and Brad Pitt at least when they were together -- they both give over half of everything they make away. I'd like to think I would do the same if I were ever in that situation...it's being able to make a real difference in our world that seems, to me, to be the best part of having lots of money...
Angelina Jolie was doing this way before she ever got with Brad Pitt. (known fact) I doubt he was doing so. She has always tried to give back but gets little credit for it. Brad is the hero.......not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
He is a venture capitalist specializing in internet startups like AirBnB, and his foundation, THORN, has developed software that helps law enforcement drastically improve the time to stop trafficking.
this. I don't doubt that he may have done good things but he is in it for money, as well.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:06 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,287 times
did anyone make a punk'd joke yet.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:17 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,450,813 times
Perhaps he wants to sell the software to Law Enforcement Agencies?

Perhaps he got to experience the young actor in Hollywood Corey Feldman style?
Corey Feldman details horrors of Hollywood pedophile ring | Daily Mail Online

Or knows about it from reading about the Franklin Coverup exposed by former Nebraska Congressman John DeCamp?
The Franklin Cover-Up by John DeCamp

It depends on how far he has gone down the rabbit hole....

If he's testifying in Senate Committee I gather it's to sell software to government agencies who supposedly want to stop the activity.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:44 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Quote:
He and Demi Moore created a foundation to help stop human trafficking...I believe he has been quite involved in it for some time now...that's his "expertise".
So admirable. Trafficking in persons is rampant. Such an abomination. Slavery, pure and simple.

Aren't all Americans given the right to bring issues before our government representatives?

Old 02-17-2017, 06:47 AM

309 posts, read 515,619 times
Moderator cut: .

This past Sunday a local paper has to dredge up a 6 year old story of human trafficing. 6 years! Wow, there are nothing happening since then?!

All a concerted effort to get people busy arguing.

Last edited by toosie; 02-19-2017 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: partisan trolling

Old 02-17-2017, 03:41 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,736,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Even though he played a goof in a lot of movies, he's actually quite intelligent.
He was also a biochemical engineering major before being discovered for TV

Old 02-17-2017, 04:08 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,621 times
Quote:
He and Demi Moore created a foundation to help stop human trafficking...I believe he has been quite involved in it for some time now...that's his "expertise".
I wonder if he and Demi are on good terms. Wouldn't they need to talk to each other if they are both the founders?

Old 02-17-2017, 04:58 PM

804 posts, read 544,837 times
This guy is just trying to get attention in the wrong area. Another marketing scheme.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:45 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,954,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily Pad View Post
Moderator cut: .

This past Sunday a local paper has to dredge up a 6 year old story of human trafficing. 6 years! Wow, there are nothing happening since then?!

All a concerted effort to get people busy arguing.
Nobody's arguing except for you.

Is human trafficking not a problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events