Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 04:12 PM

78,330 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily Pad View Post
Moderator cut: .

This past Sunday a local paper has to dredge up a 6 year old story of human trafficing. 6 years! Wow, there are nothing happening since then?!

All a concerted effort to get people busy arguing.
Those are the ones they've caught....and I don't know how big of an area your local paper covers but it's not a minor problem, it's shockingly widespread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 04:35 PM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
My main complaint is the focus on SEX trafficking when it really should be HUMAN trafficking.

The largest portion of human trafficking doesn't occurring just in the sex industry, it happens in all labor types; nanny, nail salons, housekeeping, food services, agriculture, hotels, restaurants. As long as people focus on SEX trafficking, it doesn't do justice to the rest of the victims. The public stops looking for human trafficking because we are lead to believe that they only occur in sex related industries.

There could be victims operating right under our noses.... the nanny that cares for your child, the person who comes to clean your home, the person who does your nails...etc. However, we don't keep an eye out for it nor look for it because the media has lead us to believe that sex is the only labor type trafficked.

In our family's case, my uncle was a victim on the high seas.. forced to work on a ship. I don't know the details (I was 10 or so) but my father got a call for help in the middle of the night unexpectedly which resulted in a night trip to Gulf coast to pick him up and get him out of the state on a bus to CA. It was there he applied for help and met up with his wife (nurse at a hospital) that hasn't heard nor seen him in over 2 years.

http://www.city-data.com/blogs/comme...l#comment64195

https://www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/defaul...rafficking.pdf

Old 02-21-2017, 04:18 AM

572 posts, read 435,162 times
The shutdown of backpage.com has also went a long way to thwart the trafficking...

Old 02-21-2017, 07:44 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie4 View Post
The shutdown of backpage.com has also went a long way to thwart the trafficking...
No it hasn't. Backpage is still up... Backpage-US has censored its own adult related sections. Everyone that used to post in adult subsections simply moved over to the "women -> men" personals. Those that are in the best position to identify and testify against pimps and human traffickers will not because they themselves risk prosecution.

We are the only country in the world that pressured backpage to censor its own adult section... other international-backpage instances have not. This is a case of shooting the messenger... pressuring the symptoms rather than putting into place possible solutions. Some police departments have actually stated that completely banning backpage-adult-sections and the like actually pushes the problem underground even more...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagela...d5a859bd5.html

"Local law enforcement have widely used the website as a tool for tracking victims and investigating perpetrators of human trafficking."

But don't get me wrong, I applaud Ashton Kutcher for his efforts and using resources that so few have at their disposal to bring awareness and progress towards a solution to this problem. We need more people with the same attitude. My only wish was more awareness was placed on the general problem of HUMAN Trafficking not just Sex trafficking. Sex sells... headlines... that's part of the problem when it comes to media's short attention span.

Last edited by usayit; 02-21-2017 at 08:03 AM..

Old 02-21-2017, 10:07 AM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
So admirable. Trafficking in persons is rampant. Such an abomination. Slavery, pure and simple.

Aren't all Americans given the right to bring issues before our government representatives?
You know, that's a very good question. I'd like to think we are. I think I will research that very question...there are some issues I'd LOVE to bring before our representatives...seriously.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:32 AM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I wonder if he and Demi are on good terms. Wouldn't they need to talk to each other if they are both the founders?
Interestingly enough, I recently read that they are and that, in fact, she also plays with and buys cute stuff for Ashton & wife's children. I think that's awesome; she stayed close to her first husband too...I think that's admirable especially for the children involved. But who knows if that's true...just what I read somewhere.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:54 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
When I look at him, I can't get over the goofy roles he played but the investor behind Uber and Airbnb both of which have become house hold name.. I read up on him, he is one impressive smart guy

Old 02-22-2017, 01:07 PM

504 posts, read 299,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
When I look at him, I can't get over the goofy roles he played but the investor behind Uber and Airbnb both of which have become house hold name.. I read up on him, he is one impressive smart guy
Christina Applegate played a blonde bimbo in "Married with Children". She was an honor student.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:57 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I was never crazy about him as an actor all the way back to "That Seventies Show." But now I really respect him as an activist who's putting his money where his mouth is. Good for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events