Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 02:26 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
In junior high school? Lol. Doubtful, and even if so - not enough to care or worry about. If she's got heart and trains harder and wants to compete why not let her.

We are not talking about fully developed, mature, pro athletes.
Yes, in junior high.

I did not state I am against females competing, I even stated in a previous post:

"There is no problem with this. This is just training, but in competition it should be divided between girls and boys.

We train together in BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu), but competitions are separate. I have never encountered an issue training with females."

There will be a difference between females and males, I see this all of the time in BJJ even among the kids classes. Training together is just fine, but competing is a different story and it should be separated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 06:26 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
I think if there was greater social acceptance to boys/girls wrestling, things would be better, hell why not more...men/women wrestling, things would be less stressful, good way to liven up those workplace meetings that everybody dreads. Of course you'd have to be able to tap out or say the safety word, no funny business should be occurring.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:35 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I think if there was greater social acceptance to boys/girls wrestling, things would be better, hell why not more...men/women wrestling, things would be less stressful, good way to liven up those workplace meetings that everybody dreads. Of course you'd have to be able to tap out or say the safety word, no funny business should be occurring.
This reminds me of Henry Ford, who as founder and President of Ford Motor Company and one of the richest men in the world, in his forties and fifties like to occasionally wrestle in the office. He'd take off his suit coat and tie and beckon one of his executives and they'd go at it right there on the floor in front of his desk (when Mr. Ford wanted to wrestle, you didn't say 'no').

Old 02-21-2017, 08:39 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Boys and girls have wrestled each other for years now. Why is this news?
I think it is news to show the double standard that is present. Would it be fair to let boys also compete in girls sports? Could a boy not make the boy's basketball team and go out for the girl's team instead? What about college scholarships? Can a boy get a girl's scholarship if they choose to compete in the girl's sports? How would title 9 come into play? Now that boys have hardly any athletic scholarships in college left except in basketball and football, can boys pick up a girl's scholarship in say swimming since the boy's college swimming teams in most schools are defunct because of title 9?

Personally I don't care that a girl is wrestling, but with title 9 in place and the costs of college, one has to wonder when some confident boy will test the waters in reverse. Girls have been wrestling in the Pittsburgh area for a very long time for the record. I hope someday a boy will test the title 9 garbage that destroyed countless boy's college sports teams, like golf, tennis, crew, swimming and diving, soccer and more.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:01 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Yes there are double standards in this world. The End. Accept it.

Things like Title IX, affirmative action, etc are designed to bring the world back to the center. Before they existed things were slanted heavily in favor of the wealthy white male. To be blind and oblivious to that fact makes it pointless to try to discuss anything. So no, nobody cares or wants to discuss a boy wanting to play on the girl's basketball team. There already exists a very lucrative, established and supported path to celebrate and reward an accomplished male athlete who plays any of the major sports.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:08 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times
The only people who have problem with this are those that would derive some sort of inappropriate mental imagery while observing a co-ed wrestling match.

My high school didn't have a wrestling team (it wasn't popular enough) but we had a couple of female football players. Both could definitely hold their own. They qualified for the team just like the rest of the players.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:14 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times
As for the double standard of males on female teams...

I don't know if this counts in this discussion but there are males on the cheerleading teams...

I think the lack of males on female team sports has more to do with the lack of interest of males to compete in that group. There are sports that are not available to females or some females might not find them challenging enough. If they can fulfill that need to be challenged on male sport teams, I don't see why not.... it is driven by their interest/desire to compete at a different level.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:04 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Yes there are double standards in this world. The End. Accept it.

Things like Title IX, affirmative action, etc are designed to bring the world back to the center. Before they existed things were slanted heavily in favor of the wealthy white male. To be blind and oblivious to that fact makes it pointless to try to discuss anything. So no, nobody cares or wants to discuss a boy wanting to play on the girl's basketball team. There already exists a very lucrative, established and supported path to celebrate and reward an accomplished male athlete who plays any of the major sports.
Clearly you don't have a child in college and you don't know anything about title 9. All it did was create a situation that boys basketball and football pays for all girls sports and in turn got rid of all other boy's sports. Sure there are super powerful colleges that have men's golf or tennis, but for the most part they are all gone. That being said, I hope some boy out there tests the waters and goes for a girl's scholarship. There is a pretty huge incentive to do so with the costs of college.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:06 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Lol, if that happened, girls would never get any play time.
If they want everything to be equal, that would be the way it is. Everyone is after the white male these days. Guess it is what it is, but lets face it, boys sports are the money makers and always will be.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:11 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Utah girls wrestle on junior high team amid gender discrimination lawsuit | Fox News

What could possibly go wrong here with hormones raging in teens, etc. And what do you bet if one of the girls claims they were touched "wrong" by a boy she is wrestling with there will be another lawsuit against the boy/his parents? I see an ugly can of worms here.

How about setting up a girls wrestle team so they can wrestle other girls?
I recall one female who told me she quit playing football with the guys because they weren't tackling her to get the ball....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events