Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 05:27 PM

169 posts, read 134,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
And so it starts early, the season of dying infants/kids left in cars....

Boy dies after being left in SUV outside Florida day care - ABC News
The irony of it all is, she works in daycare!!!!! And proceeded to leave her bro in the car alone? What, you can't bring your bro IN the daycare? Seems illogical and does not make any sense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 07:33 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,616,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Someone could make a killing, no pun intended, on putting a sensor in a car seat that links to the car fob and the lock/alarm button. If the sensor has weight on it (a child) you cannot lock your door with that sensor having that weight on it. If there is a weight on the sensor, instead of getting the little chirp sound to indicate you locked your car doors, your alarm goes off.

Just a quick thought as I read about this tragedy that happens way too often, especially in Florida.

Winter in Florida...seasons are Summer, Summer, Summer and Let's Fall in to Summer all over again.
Technology will solve this issue once & for all.

What is sad is that our lives have become so time pressured and stressful that people forget their own kids in the back seat of a car.
This says a lot about our society in general.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:39 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,823,041 times
Sad........Another one lost due to (in my opinion) an unfit parent........

Old 03-04-2017, 09:35 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,944,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
A couple of years ago I read an article addressing this sort of thing. It actually suggested that the driver "leave something important -like your cell phone" in the back seat so they would remember to look in the back and see Junior.There's a big difference between having a child and being a parent.
Sad. WTF is more important than one's CHILD????!!!!

Seriously, people need to start dialing their lives back and striving for voluntary simplicity because this sort of scenario is just out of bounds.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:40 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,944,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Aren't we still in the winter time?
I live in upstate NY. Last Friday the temperature was in the 70's. It is 19 at the moment with wind gusts as high as 27 MPH.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:48 AM

894 posts, read 586,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
A couple of years ago I read an article addressing this sort of thing. It actually suggested that the driver "leave something important -like your cell phone" in the back seat so they would remember to look in the back and see Junior. There's a big difference between having a child and being a parent.
Yes, I heard about that idea too of leaving something else important in the back seat.

On 1 hand, it's sad that it takes leaving a briefcase or a cell phone next to your baby in order for a person to remember the child.

But on the other hand, if such a suggestion saves even 1 child's life, then it's totally worth it to try.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:53 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,242,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Technology will solve this issue once & for all.
No it won't.

Next up: "I ignored the sensor because it goes off so often...."

Car manufacturers have rejected many safety ideas due to liability. Can you blame them?

"It's Chevy's fault my kid died!"

Old 03-04-2017, 11:36 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
Yes, I heard about that idea too of leaving something else important in the back seat.

On 1 hand, it's sad that it takes leaving a briefcase or a cell phone next to your baby in order for a person to remember the child.

But on the other hand, if such a suggestion saves even 1 child's life, then it's totally worth it to try.
It's about routine. These cases generally happen when someone's routine is changed, when they aren't used to taking a child with them. Checking for your cell or your briefcase/purse is a part of most peoples routine, so it absolutely makes sense to me to put them with a child so that you will double check for the things you carry with you every day.
When I was a brand new parent there were two thoughts that absolutely terrified me, one that my baby would stop breathing and I wouldn't notice, two that I would forget I had the baby with me and I'd leave her somewhere.

Old 03-04-2017, 01:46 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,536,651 times
I know that if I EVER transport a grandchild, I will be tying a string from my purse to the car seat. I don't go anywhere without my purse on my arm. That is the ONLY way I will be sure to remember my grandchild. I can see how it would happen.

Accidents happen, people forget. It's so easy to criticize when it hasn't happened to you, but sadly this happens in all walks of life.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:18 PM

210 posts, read 285,626 times
The lady was probably texting or updating her FB profile as soon as she stopped. Thanks to smart phones, too many people no longer focus on the important day to day things. Their eyes and minds are always focused on the screens of their phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events