Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 12:35 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,770,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Well, that's a crazy think to do to your family as a joke, but what law did they break?

Abuse of a major condiment?
Is there really a law that says pictures sent to friends or family must fit into approved categories? If what they did is truly against the law - then we have far too many laws.
Is it really too much trouble for you to read the linked article?

Apparently, it is. Fine. I won't answer your first question - you don't get every last scrap of information spoon-fed to you. The answer to your second question is, obviously, no. The law under which they have been charged is what is known as a public-order statute. These are very general umbrella laws meant to cover a wide-variety of circumstances - the very opposite of your 'too many laws' complaint. This is also a very old category of laws. Virtually every jurisdiction has them, and they have been ubiquitous through American history and before, to colonial times and pre-dating even that in English Common law. So if you think this is a result of a rash of recent laws, think again.

Personally, I think this behavior is a borderline case. If the 'speech' in this case had the slightest bit of political or social commentary, I would absolutely think it to be protected under established caselaw (and before someone cries "You can't yell 'fire!' in a crowded theater!", the case from which that assertion comes has been obsolete for almost half a century due to the subsequent ruling in Brandenburg v. Ohio). But it doesn't, and so I don't think it is. That is not to say that I think criminal charges are necessarily warranted, but I do think it is a circumstance where it could reasonably go either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 12:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,574,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Well, that's a crazy think to do to your family as a joke, but what law did they break?

Abuse of a major condiment?
Is there really a law that says pictures sent to friends or family must fit into approved categories? If what they did is truly against the law - then we have far too many laws.
What law did they break?

Did you miss this part Police were called Thursday at 9:21 p.m. to a home in the 600 block of Meigs Street after receiving multiple calls regarding a possible homicide.

They need to be billed for the cost involved and fined for the fact that while they were having "fun", resources that could have been used or needed for a real situation were wasted.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:33 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,131,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
What law did they break?

Did you miss this part Police were called Thursday at 9:21 p.m. to a home in the 600 block of Meigs Street after receiving multiple calls regarding a possible homicide.

They need to be billed for the cost involved and fined for the fact that while they were having "fun", resources that could have been used or needed for a real situation were wasted.
So, every time a cop is called a law has been broken? By who? The person who called them, or the person who possibly committed no crime, but inspired another person to call the cops. IMO, there is no crime here. Just because they create "catch-all" laws, doesn't mean people should be charged. "Inducing panic..." As I said... Too many laws.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:05 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,053,397 times
Darwin's Theory Of Natural Selection will soon take these two geniuses off the streets for a while.

I can't get over how stupid some people are.

It truly blows me away.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:28 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,359,217 times
OMG their names.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:10 PM

925 posts, read 821,244 times
They were arrested? The hell, what a waste of tax payer money!

Old 03-12-2017, 11:09 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,877,849 times
Haha hilarious

Old 03-12-2017, 11:19 PM

32,846 posts, read 36,153,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
What was once just a foolish and tasteless prank can now be elevated to a mountain out of a molehill due to the way social media can instill widespread hysteria.
And the rocket's red glare.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:45 AM

7,728 posts, read 6,409,840 times
Really, ketchup? How cheap! Thats what I used as a kid in home movies. Couldn't be a little higher budget?

Old 03-13-2017, 07:02 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,767,810 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND
Totally insane. That is such a horrible thing to do to anyone, much less your family.
Indeed it is and the idiots got what they deserved!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events