Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 05:54 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,542,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I read an article on this that said there had been some interaction with the parents. Apparently they said she was thin because of an eating disorder and that she was defiant, urinating and defecating on the floor out of spite, which would explain the linoleum in the bedroom and the diapers. Yet no physical examination was ordered and no one did anything.

I think adoptive parents should be required to have adopted children seen by professionals every 6 months - mental and physical checkups. This could even be done at school by the nurse and counselors, or a family physician if home schooled. It's less about identifying bad parents and more about assessing a child's welfare. Even the most well meaning parents miss things.
And what about biological children? Why target adoptive parents?

There are plenty of defiant children out there who do wild and crazy things. Should they all be evaluated, too? Physical exams?

You do realize that nothing will stop abuse, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 06:15 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,606,651 times
Horrifically sad. Thinking from yet another perspective: the young girl's photo and age are in the report. What about the mother who gave this child up for adoption? Or any woman who gave a girl up for adoption who is the same age as the victim? How many mothers are wondering if this poor girl was the birth daughter they gave up?

Old 03-18-2017, 07:41 PM

15,253 posts, read 8,866,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Homeschooling needs to be made illegal. At least full time homeschooling. It's nothing but child abuse. At very least kids should be required to go to school one day a week to be tested to make sure they are learning required subject matter, and checked out to make sure they are doing well, as well as to socialize with other kids. The parents should be required to have a teaching certificate.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:36 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,542,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Homeschooling needs to be made illegal. At least full time homeschooling. It's nothing but child abuse. At very least kids should be required to go to school one day a week to be tested to make sure they are learning required subject matter, and checked out to make sure they are doing well, as well as to socialize with other kids. The parents should be required to have a teaching certificate.
Why should home schooling be illegal? The students are still required to take the standardized tests. It's definitely not child abuse. I know many people who were homeschooled who did very well in life. They were homeschooled for a variety of reasons.

Why should the parents need a teaching certificate? With so many bad teachers in schools, you can't be serious! There are plenty who are there for the 10 month calendar, pension, tenure, early retirement, and vacation days. I have family like this. I also have family who were great teachers and worked hard and took pride in their job. A certificate doesn't mean anything. It's a piece of paper. If you test well, you could probably get one fairly easy. There are plenty of people dumb as a box of rocks teaching just like their are people who are geniuses teaching.

As far as socialization, you really don't know much about homeschoolers. They have more activities and field trips that anyone I know! They have homeschool groups they meet with. Many have tutors for the high school subjects. They aren't sitting in their parents basement for 8 hours a day.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:57 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,058,960 times
Dear God. I gave a baby up for adoption when I was seventeen, hoping he would have a better life. His new parents were lawyers.

This post makes me think I should have had an abortion.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:58 PM

7,726 posts, read 6,390,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Horrifically sad. Thinking from yet another perspective: the young girl's photo and age are in the report. What about the mother who gave this child up for adoption? Or any woman who gave a girl up for adoption who is the same age as the victim? How many mothers are wondering if this poor girl was the birth daughter they gave up?

Its a terrible thought but no woman should feel guilt about giving up this child for adoption as no one anticipates or expects the adopted parents to be cruel monsters.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:14 AM

15,253 posts, read 8,866,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Why should home schooling be illegal? The students are still required to take the standardized tests. It's definitely not child abuse. I know many people who were homeschooled who did very well in life. They were homeschooled for a variety of reasons.

Why should the parents need a teaching certificate? With so many bad teachers in schools, you can't be serious! There are plenty who are there for the 10 month calendar, pension, tenure, early retirement, and vacation days. I have family like this. I also have family who were great teachers and worked hard and took pride in their job. A certificate doesn't mean anything. It's a piece of paper. If you test well, you could probably get one fairly easy. There are plenty of people dumb as a box of rocks teaching just like their are people who are geniuses teaching.

As far as socialization, you really don't know much about homeschoolers. They have more activities and field trips that anyone I know! They have homeschool groups they meet with. Many have tutors for the high school subjects. They aren't sitting in their parents basement for 8 hours a day.
Because of situations exactly like this case. This is not the first time something like this has happened to a homeschooled child. Schools are often the only safeguard to uncovering child abuse.

There is no testing required for homeschooled children in most states. Allowing parents who may or may not be educated themselves to take responsibility for providing education to their children, without even proving that they are competent to provide that education is child abuse. Even without this type of abuse, many of these children get dumped on society without having a proper education, as is required by law. That is child abuse IMHO.

Without proper testing of the children, and certification of the parents, there is no guarantee that the children are getting an education as required by law. Without the children being required to attend school at least occasionally there is no guarantee that they are not being abused.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:10 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,356,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I think adoptive parents should be required to have adopted children seen by professionals every 6 months - mental and physical checkups. This could even be done at school by the nurse and counselors, or a family physician if home schooled. It's less about identifying bad parents and more about assessing a child's welfare. Even the most well meaning parents miss things.
At least for the adoptions I am aware of, a social worker does check up on the family 3 and/or 6 months post-adoption. But never after a year.

But why single out adoptive families? If you think this is appropriate for them then why not for all families?

The title of this thread should have been "Girl dies after life in most horrific circumstances imaginable". Would this situation have been any less horrific if she had been their biological child?

Old 03-19-2017, 09:16 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,692,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
This poor child....it is unspeakable. RIP

Somebody in the adoption agency world messed up big time. These people should never have gotten away with this.
I know great people who would love to adopt, but can't get approved for it or have had to wait so many years, that they eventually gave up. So it's a point of curiosity about how these people were approved for adoption. I wonder if it was a private adoption?

Old 03-19-2017, 09:18 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,159,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
One of my (brilliant) coworkers and her 4 siblings were homeschooled. All professionals and 2 went to Harvard. From a poor white, religious household.

Right now I have several physician colleagues homeschooling their kids. One of them teaches civ/history to her kid and then they fly to that country and experience the culture, go to museums/historical sites, eat the food, etc.

By the way, going to school every day didn't stop my friend from having the crap beat out of her by her dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events