Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2017, 03:36 PM

17,253 posts, read 21,991,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I would never leave my house just so some idiots can ransack it and take things I worked for. And the reason if anything, is who knows what these sicks people would do to my pets if they came across them.

Here is an idea, if someone does not want the potential to be killed, do not break into someone's home. I do not find what is difficult to understand about this.
I would agree but if I am "outgunned" I'm not dying for a TV and a gold watch either!

Old 03-30-2017, 03:37 PM

17,253 posts, read 21,991,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The local police there may try to recruit this homeowner's son.
Just don't let him shoot a minority (Ferguson, MO for example).....The media will proclaim he is Oklahoma's own Dirty Harry Callahan!

Old 03-30-2017, 05:30 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,173,857 times
These three thugs who broke into the house were scum, and deserved what happened to them. Anyone defending them has obviously never had their house broken into/burglarized, so don't know what it feels like.

If someone breaks into your home, all bets are off.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:02 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
At the moment, I'm sitting in a state with the most permissive gun law in the country. Anybody can buy a gun with nothing but the Federal check. Anybody can concealed carry without a license or permit. No guns in schools. No guns in state buildings. That's it for gun law.

That same state has no castle doctrine law. If a couple of junkies break into my house and I gun them down with an AR-15, it's 50/50 whether I'm going to jail. The state does have a justifiable homicide law. A jury could very well find that it's unreasonable for me to try to claim that my life is in danger. They broke in through a sliding glass door in the back of the house. I could have just walked out the front door.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:24 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The local police there may try to recruit this homeowner's son.
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Just don't let him shoot a minority (Ferguson, MO for example).....The media will proclaim he is Oklahoma's own Dirty Harry Callahan!
I meant that remark to be more of a criticism, than as an encouragement.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:05 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,382,501 times
the fact that they had weapons with them is a bad sign so it's a good thing he had his gun. Unfortunately, justified or not, killing 3 teens is going to weigh on that kid, unless he's some sort of sociopath. If there's a chance i don't have to murder 3 people I'd go buy a shatter resistant film to put on my glass door and set up an alarm and lights whenever the perimeter of my house is broken. That alone could have saved him from having to shoot 3 people.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:31 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,523,752 times
In my state we have the castle doctrine.

Montana code
45-3-103. Use of force in defense of occupied structure. (1) A person is justified in the use of force or threat to use force against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that the use of force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry into or attack upon an occupied structure.
(2) A person justified in the use of force pursuant to subsection (1) is justified in the use of force likely to cause death or serious bodily harm only if:
(a) the entry is made or attempted and the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent an assault upon the person or another then in the occupied structure; or
(b) the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony in the occupied structure.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:57 PM

477 posts, read 276,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
If there's a chance i don't have to murder 3 people I'd go buy a shatter resistant film to put on my glass door and set up an alarm and lights whenever the perimeter of my house is broken. That alone could have saved him from having to shoot 3 people.
He didn't murder them.

He DID save every future innocent they would have victimized.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:17 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
the fact that they had weapons with them is a bad sign so it's a good thing he had his gun. Unfortunately, justified or not, killing 3 teens is going to weigh on that kid, unless he's some sort of sociopath. If there's a chance i don't have to murder 3 people I'd go buy a shatter resistant film to put on my glass door and set up an alarm and lights whenever the perimeter of my house is broken. That alone could have saved him from having to shoot 3 people.
He didn't murder anyone.

I'm sure he will be fine. I've never killed anyone, but wouldn't hesitate to shoot for even a split second if someone broke into my house with intent to do harm. I wouldn't feel too bad about it, either. I think any potential thief is a major idiot if they wouldn't assume every house has a gun in it. Don't want to get shot and possibly killed? Don't break into peoples' houses.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:11 AM

797 posts, read 751,473 times
Wonder how shooting three people ,one unarmed,two with petty weapons,
gonna hold up in court.
Have fun with that case.
Maybe it'll be better than the guy helping the bear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.